• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Picnic in the Wausau Area - Oct 9, 2011

Zeus

I really need to make one of these soon so I can meet some more folks here. I will be in Ripon for a Wounded Warrior IDPA shoot for fundraising that day. If you can't make the picnic but could make the WW shoot, I strongly encourage that. It's a fun way to donate to a great cause and get some range time too.

phred

Will there be any plinking / target shooting opportunities at this picnic?

The Marathon Trap and Sportsman’s Club range consists of a trap and skeet ranges and handgun only, metallic silhouette, ranges that includes IHMSA Big Bore, Field, and 22 Rimfire. There are about six or so members of MTSC that are also Wisconsin Carry, Inc members, most of them signing up at the last gun show here. The silhouette shooters said they will allow some shooting at the various targets. You may use only handguns and handgun calibers. Only 22 Rimfire handguns may be shot at the 22 sized targets. Field pistol is limited to straight-wall handgun cartridges. The range master will have final say if a gun/cartridge combination is not allowed to limit target damage. The distances for these targets is pushing the limit for handgun use and we would probably alter some of the distances keeping in mind minimum safe distance for splash-back but yet make it somewhat achievable. Using a 357 mag or 44 mag on the Field or Big Bore targets is certainly within limits. You could bring your deer hunting revolver and test your skills. Range protocol must be followed. Open carry protocol must also be followed. So any carry gun will remain holstered unless you are on the firing line. Any other handguns that you may want to shoot must remain unload and preferably encased until you are on the firing line. Eye and hearing protection are required on the firing line.

I will also have a portable target stand for paper targets.

Since the shooting needs to regulated for safety, we will block out times for particular types of shooting. If the invited instructors need the range for their programs, they get first dibs.

The extended weather forecast for Sunday is
Sunday: A slight chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.
What did you expect for Wisconsin?

If you have specific questions, PM me. If you haven't RSVP'd me yet do so by Thursday. If you don't remember, do it again.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Trust every one had a great time!

How about a few pictures and an after action report.

kemo

Absolutely had a great time. Thanks to phred and Mr. Enos for the opportunity to meet them.Thanks to Pam Galloway for the information. I learned alot today and hope to put it into use soon.

phred

If it's pictures you want, it's pictures you got!!

What a beautiful day for a picnic. Phun, Phood, and phriends. As you can see from all of the smiles on our faces, it was indeed a celebration. Thanks to all who took time out of their busy schedule to make this picnic a success. There were new members from the area here and some really old members (note: Waupaca Co.) My sincerest thanks to those who helped and those who drove the distance. Enjoy the photos. You'll recognize some very important people who stand up for our rights.

Attachments

• WOCP-1s.jpg
    WOCP-1s.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 110
  • WOCP-2s.jpg
    WOCP-2s.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 113
  • WOCP-3s.jpg
    WOCP-3s.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 113
  • WOCP-4s.jpg
    WOCP-4s.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 114
  • WOCP-6s.jpg
    WOCP-6s.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 112
  • WOCP-7s.jpg
    WOCP-7s.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 114
  • WOCP-8s.jpg
    WOCP-8s.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 123
  • WOCP-9s.jpg
    WOCP-9s.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 111
  • WOCP-10s.jpg
    WOCP-10s.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 111
  • WOCP-12s.jpg
    WOCP-12s.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

If it's pictures you want, it's pictures you got!!

What a beautiful day for a picnic. Phun, Phood, and phriends. As you can see from all of the smiles on our faces, it was indeed a celebration. Thanks to all who took time out of their busy schedule to make this picnic a success. There were new members from the area here and some really old members (note: Waupaca Co.) My sincerest thanks to those who helped and those who drove the distance. Enjoy the photos. You'll recognize some very important people who stand up for our rights.

You mean Pam wasn't scared of all you people with guns???? :p

phred

Pam gave a nice explanation of the DoJ/Van Hollen/Act 35/Walker/.... problem with rules. Then some question/answer time about the state of things. After that, Ole and I gave her a little handgun choice and reasons for choice "lesson".