• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

plastic retention holster...but i can't find the right one

hammer6

so- every time i look in a gun magazine, i always see the ad for FOBUS holsters, with the 4 or 5 plain clothes cops, who are all wearing paddle holsters, but they are ohhh so snug to their body. my paddle holster hangs "out"- away from my body, making it impossible to conceal. these holsters in the picture are like tightly snug to their hip. no matter how tight i pull my belt, it still hangs away from my body.

are these just fake holsters? or what? i've got a blackhawk serpa, but can never use it.

i love retention holsters, because i feel they are much easier to arm myself, and to keep my weapon in the holster at the same time. my leather holster has a snap, but i feel that could be difficult to engage, but also unreliable.

HELLLPPPPP

Fallschirjmäger

SERPA's definitely aren't in the concealment field, either paddle or belt. The only holsters I've noted that do seem to tightly hug to the body are the 'pancake' style that have extended wings to the front or rear.

4angrybadgers

I have two Serpas (subcompact XD and RIA 1911), and they both tend to stick out a bit on me. I suspect a person's body shape may factor into whether it hugs the hip or not. Even with a somewhat oversized, heavyweight "hoodie" jacket over the Serpa, there's a noticeable lump on my hip. When I conceal, I use an IWB holster.

Mlutz

If I can cc a Highpoint 40 S&W in a Fobus... But yes, I feel that they are a great holster. They are a bit snug to the body, but that does help to cover it. I can just throw on my north face and call it good to go. The retention might seem extreme at first, I weigh about 200# and had a friend pick me up off the ground by the grip of my firearm and it wouldnt come out. (Please note: The firearm was unloaded and verified by all parties involved.) But, I could still draw quickly. We did some drills at the range and I could draw and double tap in 1.3 seconds, center mass. It takes some getting used to. I have since moved to another firearm, that fits into a kholster, and find the retention is kind of a joke. (I didnt heat it up and adjust it. I have heard that helps a lot.) Either way, Fobus has a great warranty . "We stand behind our holsters and offer a no question asked return policy." If it doenst work out, send it back. Also, if you can get the Evolution series, get it. The standard holsters do not have a retention screw. (Helps when it starts getting worn.) The only problem you might have is they do cause some wear on your firearm, where it "clicks" in.

WalkingWolf

We did some drills at the range and I could draw and double tap in 1.3 seconds, center mass.

I can draw and hit a balloon in under a second. 1.3 is a long time when someone is trying to kill or harm you. But then I don't use one of those plastic holsters, it is strictly leather for me with a safety snap. It has been awhile since I was under the timer, but the last time was .47 second with wax bullet and 211 primer in a colt SA revolver. Unless firing from concealed you should be able to get that number under 1 second. I saw video of a women with no experience draw from a bra holster and get close to the 1 second mark.

Here is a suggestion if you are using traditional sight picture. Most fights are at night, and close distance. Train a lot with a training gun or ammo, use a shotgun sight picture using only the front sight both eyes open. Now this is going to sound strange but major law enforcement is using this method. Get a quality airsoft that matches your carry firearm. Get the brightest BB you can find. Then train with targets progressively getting smaller. You will be able to see your BB on it's way to the target and this helps with learning instinct shooting. For revolver you can use wax bullets, they travel faster though and are harder to see.

Just Sayin'

MITCH

so- every time i look in a gun magazine, i always see the ad for FOBUS holsters, with the 4 or 5 plain clothes cops, who are all wearing paddle holsters, but they are ohhh so snug to their body. my paddle holster hangs "out"- away from my body, making it impossible to conceal. these holsters in the picture are like tightly snug to their hip. no matter how tight i pull my belt, it still hangs away from my body.

are these just fake holsters? or what? i've got a blackhawk serpa, but can never use it.

i love retention holsters, because i feel they are much easier to arm myself, and to keep my weapon in the holster at the same time. my leather holster has a snap, but i feel that could be difficult to engage, but also unreliable.

HELLLPPPPP

Try changing your gun belt. I have several "good" Amish work belts, but even they allow the holster to "lean" away from my body. I finally bought a true gun belt from the "Beltman". Expensive, but made to last a lifetime and it works. It holds the holster tight to my body even with a full size CZ-75B.
Mitch:banana:

WalkingWolf

Try changing your gun belt. I have several "good" Amish work belts, but even they allow the holster to "lean" away from my body. I finally bought a true gun belt from the "Beltman". Expensive, but made to last a lifetime and it works. It holds the holster tight to my body even with a full size CZ-75B.
Mitch:banana:
Usually a good double layered belt will make a hardy gun belt. But belts are usually unlined, and even if lined not double layered. Two layers of 4/5 oz making a 9/10 oz belt sewn with sinew would do it. Use of bone glue also will stiffen the belt considerably. A belt like this is not cheap, not sure what the beltman charges. But almost anybody can stitch a belt, though it does take some time.

I did look the beltman up and his belts are double layered. As I expected they are pricey for someone on a budget. A handy person could have a double layered belt for around $30 if they are willing to do the work.

Last edited: