• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Medford oc get together

We-the-People

An OC get together for Medford (and anywhere else willing to make the trip) was mentioned in another thread. This thread is to find out who is interested and determine a time and place. Since I'm about to enter finals week at school it won't happen until after the quarter but that's only 2 weeks out.

I feel an OC get together should not be in a separate room (kind of defeats the public education purpose) but I'm open to the thoughts of others.

I think a location able to seat everyone at one area (tables together) rather than in a bunch of smaller booths would be preferable.....Thoughts?

Considering the economy, inexpensive fare.

Considering it's OC.....what are others thoughts on mentioning that it's OC to the establishment when making the reservation? Personally, I think no prior knowledge to them and have a backup plan if they balk........thoughts?

POSSIBLE LOCATIONS feel free to make suggestions (I do not know the seating possibilities in all of these):
Antonio's Italian restaurant.....Eagle Point
Parkview Cafe.....across the street from Hawthorne park where there have been a few recent incidents with MPD.
Witham truck stop......Biddle/I-5/62 area
Hometown Buffet......Barnett at I-5

Another option would be a BBQ at a local park but I think that would take a bit more planning than is prudent for a first time event.

David West

I'm in. Personally I quite like Old Farm House Restaurant and they've always been very friendly to me when I OC in there.

Also, the space is pretty limited but Jasper's burger join in Central Point is awesome and the owner John always seems to love it when I OC in there. Haven't eaten there in a few months but he always flies a Gadsden flag and he usually talks guns with me while I'm ordering.

Teddybearfrmhell

I'm in. Personally I quite like Old Farm House Restaurant and they've always been very friendly to me when I OC in there.

Also, the space is pretty limited but Jasper's burger join in Central Point is awesome and the owner John always seems to love it when I OC in there. Haven't eaten there in a few months but he always flies a Gadsden flag and he usually talks guns with me while I'm ordering.

i have eaten in all the farmhouse locations and never had a bad meal or experience when oc..... jaspers is great too but very very small (awesome burgers tho)....

and i agree with WTP about an outing at local park but perhaps a BYO picnic instead of a bbq? we could have a nice afternoon in hawthorne park and let the media know too? just an idea....

We-the-People

i have eaten in all the farmhouse locations and never had a bad meal or experience when oc..... jaspers is great too but very very small (awesome burgers tho)....

and i agree with WTP about an outing at local park but perhaps a BYO picnic instead of a bbq? we could have a nice afternoon in hawthorne park and let the media know too? just an idea....

I REALLY like the idea of a BYOB picnic. I was wondering how I could set up a BBQ at a park...permits, BS, etc., but BYOB for a small group works just fine!!!! However, I don't know that we'll have enough people show up to not look like "a few nuts" if the Media comes by. Maybe save that for after we have more bodies to present?

So where is the Old Farmhouse restaurant(s)?

David West

No permit would be needed for a barbecue. I was looking into this just last night doing research into permits for some get togethers for a Ron Paul group I'm working with (I don't care much about violating silly unconstitutional requirements for protest permits anyway, but some people were worried about it). Here's the city's page about it:

http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=193

Interestingly, this is one of their "general park rules":

"Firearms: Firearms, fireworks, and explosives are prohibited from all public park areas."

Which is very interesting, because that little rule isn't backed up by anything whatsoever in Medford's municipal code. Not that it would hold any weight for CHL holders anyway. I'm thinking this discrepancy on the website should be brought to the attention of the city.

As for where the Old Farmhouses are there are several location. Ones kinda downtown on riverside, one's right behind the mall, one's on 62 right by Wellburn's Weapons, and one is right int he middle of phoenix (that's the only one I've never eaten at). My vote would either be for the one on riverside or the one by Wellburn's.

Last edited:

Window_Seat

Don't know if this has already happened or not, but I'm visiting the Portland area until Monday, and then heading back, probably in the afternoon, and I would be willing to stop in the Medford area. There's a Petro that I like to stop at (because I drive a truck) in Phoenix (at exit 24). Although I'm not driving a truck today (on disability because of crutches), a truckstop would be ideal because I'm trying to get more truckers to know that they also have 2A rights (some believe that a federal law prohibits them from exercising their 2A rights).

I'll (tentatively) be coming through that area on my way back home (to CA) on Monday, and might end up in that area in mid afternoon.

If anyone feels like having a meet there, let me know.

Erik.

We-the-People

Okay this is short notice but of the people that have been talking with me about availability it's now or never....well sort of.

OC Meetup tomorrow, Thursday, noon, at the Starbucks on Biddle Rd next to Barnes and Noble.

This is the only time that several of the folks that gave schedules are available so we'll see how it goes for a middle of the week thing. On the bright side, should be kinda busy as it's lunch time....then again there might not be any seating available. We'll just play it by ear.

Satyr

I've got myself, my wife and another friend couple who are going to go to the Honk Kong I think on Friday the 9th and OC. We would also be up for a picnic at the park or anything like that.

We-the-People

Okay, the OC meet at Starbucks was great. Spent about two hours with three of us sitting at an outside table. To the brady bunches horror not a single person was seen screaming and fleeing, an OC'er opened the door several times for people with a lot of stuff (mostly for the home makeover show in town), an appx 80's gentleman came out and said hi then asked "what's all the hardware for". We had a nice chat and he was CC'ing, he was just curious about the OC and then went back inside with his wife.

Topics of discussion were general BSing, Sterile carry, advantages/disadvantages of carrying pepper spray when OCing, 81-83 Honda Goldwings, theorizing on how we might be met if we volunteered for the home makeover show as suggested by a couple of "volunteers" (who looked more like employees of companies that were volunteering them), SD target practice distances that were appropriate for realistic training, and many other subjects during our 2+ hour get together.

No negative comments recieved, a couple of positive ones were though. Medfords finest did not make an appearance but it seems that may have been because we weren't teh only OC'ers on their "radar" at the time. They must be wondering "how many of these guys are there" by now.

Hear that Satyr had a bit of a hassle at the RV Mall (which is posted in friend or foe as not gun friendly) then pulled over by the cops who mentioned the Starbucks get together.