Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman acquitted of criminal eavesdropping on police

Woman acquitted of criminal eavesdropping on police

Looks like the Illinois Police have been dealt a hard blow in their ongoing war on the Constitution and Freedom.

By Jason Meisner Tribune reporter

6:57 p.m. CDT, August 24, 2011

The Criminal Court jury took less than an hour to acquit Moore, 20...* on the two felony counts. She had faced up to 15 years in prison if convicted.
    *edited because her former occupation has nothing to do with anything. Other than piss poor reporting.

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/local/b...tory?track=rss
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

I'd like to say justice was served, but it is outrageous that she was charged in the first place...oh wait a minute, she was complaining about a scum bag chicago cop. Now I see the light.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Good on her! Bad police and DA; naughty! *smacks with rolled up newspaper*

Oh, and stripping is a fine profession in my book!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Now I see the light.

Most corrupt state in the Union. Welcome to IL.

Mark Donahue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police in Chicago, said he believes the state's eavesdropping law is a good one. Allowing people to make audio recordings of arrests "could potentially inhibit an officer from proactively doing his job," Donahue said.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/20/il...iles-challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    Good on her! Bad police and DA; naughty! *smacks with rolled up newspaper*

Oh, and stripping is a fine profession in my book!
    Anything that stimulates the economy.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    I'm going to fix this quote:

Mark Donahue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police in Chicago, said he believes the state's eavesdropping law is a good one. Allowing people to make audio recordings of arrests "could potentially inhibit an officer from proactively doing his job violating citizens rights," Donahue said.
    There, that's about right.

Good cops should have no problem with being recorded during official duties. In fact, it should get more real criminals off the street with video evidence.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

wow, what terrible reporting. It's not even like it is her occupation. A FORMER STRIPPER < What does that have to do with ANYTHING? I wouldn't care if she was a former bank teller or former clown. I feel that this was the media throwing a jab at her.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 08-25-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Centurion
    But see, if the reporter is paid by the word they get paid more by "fleshing out" the story with the addition of those few words!

Ending Sarcasm for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    wow, what terrible reporting. It's not even like it is her occupation. A FORMER STRIPPER < What does that have to do with ANYTHING? I wouldn't care if she was a former bank teller or former clown. I feel that this was the media throwing a jab at her.
    Not just a jab...but trying to undercut her character.

Somebody should show Mr Donahue this article written by a retired cop

American Cop Magazine....goto very end then back one page.

Here's a better post.

Tiawanda Moore, Woman Who Recorded Cops, Acquitted Of Felony Eavesdropping Charges (VIDEO)

First Posted: 8/25/11 12:11 PM ET Updated: 8/25/11 03:39 PM ET

A woman who secretly recorded a conversation with two Chicago Police investigators while filing a sexual harassment complaint last August was acquitted of the felony eavesdropping charges Wednesday, with one juror calling the trial a "waste of time."

As the Chicago Sun-Times reports, a Cook County jury took little more than an hour to find Tiawanda Moore not guilty of eavesdropping on police investigators, a crime which could have led to a sentence of up to 15 years in prison had she been convicted of the Class 1 felony.

"I think it's something we can handle without having to go through this process … If all you want is to make sure he doesn't bother you again, we can almost guarantee that given that we're going to be able to speak to his superiors," investigators told Moore in the recording, which was played for the jury during Wednesday's trial, according to ABC 7.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_936313.html
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 08-25-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Abraham Lincoln

Alexcabbie

While it's a good outcome for the defendant, and probably an example of jury nullification (hooray!), the law stands. Anyone, including Ms. Moore, can be arrested, charged, and tried for the same actions tomorrow.

Banned
    Unfortunately this acquittal says nothing about the unconstitutionality of the eavesdropping law. Other than that, this is a good development.

Public officials should be willing to conduct public business in complete sunshine. If they are doing nothing wrong, they should be willing to submit all they do to scrutiny. The natural right to privacy exists for individuals, not for the State or its agents while acting on its behalf. The law should clearly recognize the individual right to privacy and total lack of privacy for State agents in the performance of their duty.

Meanwhile in Massachusetts, a most favorable ruling from the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...03#post1600303

The Chicago lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police is on a moral par with NAMBLA.

Back in '96, they went on National Public to demand that police be exempted from laws intended to disarm those convicted of domestic violence. There "argument" was three-fold:

1. You can't take the gun from a cop who beats his wife because that's his "tool of the trade". The interviewer didn't think to ask if the same thing applied to hitmen and carjackers.
    2. If you take the gun from an angry, violent cop that'll just make him MORE angry and violent. Again, nobody asked why that didn't apply to private sector criminals.
    3. Cops convicted of domestic violence don't need to be disarmed because they'll be closely supervised... just apparently not closely enough to keep them from being cops after they're convicted of beating their wives.

You can actually get a transcript of the "All Thing Considered" show from the spring of '96. I just wish they had audio of it. The only stranger interview I've ever heard on NPR was with the "roving ambassador" of the Taliban prior to 9/11.

"Being proactive" is Chicago cop code for committing violent crimes against citizens, from sapping elderly men handcuffed to wheelchairs to committing home invasion robberies.

Banned
    What was essentially a thread about recording the police has been successfully converted to a LEO-bashing thread just because the two stories are from the same city.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    What was essentially a thread about recording the police has been successfully converted to a LEO-bashing thread just because the two stories are from the same city.

Well done.
    Thanks.

Of course you missed the common factor of "commentary" by the Chicago Lodge of the FOP... but I would expect no less.

The FOP is bad news in general. The Chicago FOP is evil incarnate.

Banned
    Oh...well, then...that makes your post on point. *insert a decent eyeroll smiley here i.l.o. the new, lame one*

Um...no, it doesn't. It is just an excuse to bash.

Oh...well, then...that makes your post on point. *insert a decent eyeroll smiley here i.l.o. the new, lame one*

Um...no, it doesn't. It is just an excuse to bash.
    Nah, you wouldn't want to criticize an organization with a DECADES long history of enabling police criminality, which inserted ITSELF into the extant case...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Nah, you wouldn't want to criticize an organization with a DECADES long history of enabling police criminality, which inserted ITSELF into the extant case...
    I said nothing of the sort. In case you are having trouble understanding, I am saying that your post used a flimsy excuse to insert off-topic LEO-bashing into a thread about the legality of taping the police.

But, I think you get that. Your last post is just a bit of transparent defensiveness.

Moving on.

I said nothing of the sort. In case you are having trouble understanding, I am saying that your post used a flimsy excuse to insert off-topic LEO-bashing into a thread about the legality of taping the police.

But, I think you get that. Your last post is just a bit of transparent defensiveness.

Moving on.
    Interesting how you're tying yourself into knots to defend the FOP, who inserted THEMSELVES into this case...

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Interesting how you're tying yourself into knots to defend the FOP, who inserted THEMSELVES into this case...
    I got the tie-in ... woman is groped by bad cop answering call of domestic violence, she tries to file complaint and more bad cops, IA right?, try to talk her out of it. She records them and get's arrested, finger printed, thrown in jail, posts bond, goes in front of a judge where the DA tries to make her out to be a bad person, in which the 6 member jury refuses to convict. Oh, and by-the-way, she is a former stripper

Deanimator's post: bad cops want to be given a 'free pass' for beating wife, don't want to be convicted of felony, misdemeanor only, thank you, and still get to keep their weapon and the UNION is asking for all this with a straight face.

OUT OF CONTROL POLICE FORCE IN ... where? ... you got it ... CHICAGO, ILLINIOS ... where police seem to have carte blanche to grope, beat, and murder women
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    Deanimator's post: bad cops want to be given a 'free pass' for beating wife, don't want to be convicted of felony, misdemeanor only, thank you, and still get to keep their weapon and the UNION is asking for all this with a straight face.

OUT OF CONTROL POLICE FORCE IN ... where? ... you got it ... CHICAGO, ILLINIOS ... where police seem to have carte blanche to grope, beat, and murder women
    Pretty close. The proposed legislation would have disarmed (as I recall) ALL those convicted of domestic abuse, whether the conviction was a felony OR misdemeanor.

What the Chicago Lodge of the FOP wanted was a BLANKET exemption from this law for police. They wanted cops convicted of domestic violence to be able to own, possess and carry firearms. I've already detailed their "reasoning".

Their having injected themselves into the extant case reflects the same attitude toward the public demonstrated in their desire to arm wife beaters... as long as they're cops.

If the FOP doesn't want to be condemned for their abhorrent positions, they need to keep them to themselves.

And as I said, pretty much any time a Chicago cop wants to justify something like sapping an elderly man handcuffed to a wheelchair, they call it "being pro-active". You don't have to take my word for it. You can review years worth of posts on SecondCityCop Blog for proof.

Regarding the case being discussed, it's hardly a surprise that the Chicago Lodge of the FOP wouldn't want citizens to be able to videotape cops being "pro-active". Two of the most damning recent acts of the Chicago Police Department, the murder of Michael Pleasance by Officer (later promoted to Detective) Alvin Weems, and the savage beating of barmaid Karolina Obrycka were caught on video, and were indeed the ONLY reasons that ANY iota of justice was afforded the victims of those crimes. Not coincidentally, the Chicago PD sought to suppress BOTH videos.

Video is NOT the friend of the Chicago Police Department nor of the Chicago Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police. It's in both their interests to fight citizens using it to prove police wrongdoing.
    Last edited by Deanimator; 08-29-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    CHICAGO, ILLINIOS ... where police seem to have carte blanche to grope, beat, and murder women
    To be accurate, Bolingbrook is a LONG way from the actual City of Chicago. I used to pass the "Old Chicago" indoor amusement park there while driving to college in central Missouri in the '70s.

Drew Peterson may have the Chicago Police Department attitude, but not the address...

Good for her !
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

IL is a PDR run by a criminal pos named quinn; chicago is a Gulag run by a tin pot commisar. The police are his NKVD, above the law and existing only to keep subjects in line. The so called FOP is run by cops who exist only to protect the scum in their unions. It is all tied together and relevant to this thread. Rights mean nothing in dictatorships and the rare occurence when they are enforced is newsworthy.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

At almost the same time another Illinois judge sentenced a man to 75 years on 5 counts of "Illegal Wiretapping". One of those charges was for bringing a recorder to court, because the court refused to provide a court reporter. Judge needs to go to Joliet himself. Maybe ten years will fix his attitude. It would for sure prevent him from any more rulings like that one.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast