• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman acquitted of criminal eavesdropping on police

HandyHamlet

Looks like the Illinois Police have been dealt a hard blow in their ongoing war on the Constitution and Freedom.

By Jason Meisner Tribune reporter

6:57 p.m. CDT, August 24, 2011

The Criminal Court jury took less than an hour to acquit Moore, 20...* on the two felony counts. She had faced up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

*edited because her former occupation has nothing to do with anything. Other than piss poor reporting.

http://www.wgnradio.com/news/local/...-of-police-20110824,0,5639670.story?track=rss

Gunslinger

I'd like to say justice was served, but it is outrageous that she was charged in the first place...oh wait a minute, she was complaining about a scum bag chicago cop. Now I see the light.

HandyHamlet

Now I see the light.

Most corrupt state in the Union. Welcome to IL.

Mark Donahue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police in Chicago, said he believes the state's eavesdropping law is a good one. Allowing people to make audio recordings of arrests "could potentially inhibit an officer from proactively doing his job," Donahue said.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/08/20/illinois-aclu-files-challenge

:banghead:

Good on her! Bad police and DA; naughty! *smacks with rolled up newspaper*

Oh, and stripping is a fine profession in my book! :D

Anything that stimulates the economy.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I'm going to fix this quote:

Mark Donahue, president of the Fraternal Order of Police in Chicago, said he believes the state's eavesdropping law is a good one. Allowing people to make audio recordings of arrests "could potentially inhibit an officer from proactively [strike]doing his job[/strike] violating citizens rights," Donahue said.
There, that's about right.

Good cops should have no problem with being recorded during official duties. In fact, it should get more real criminals off the street with video evidence.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
wow, what terrible reporting. It's not even like it is her occupation. A FORMER STRIPPER < What does that have to do with ANYTHING? I wouldn't care if she was a former bank teller or former clown. I feel that this was the media throwing a jab at her.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

wow, what terrible reporting. It's not even like it is her occupation. A FORMER STRIPPER < What does that have to do with ANYTHING? I wouldn't care if she was a former bank teller or former clown. I feel that this was the media throwing a jab at her.

Not just a jab...but trying to undercut her character.

Somebody should show Mr Donahue this article written by a retired cop

American Cop Magazine....goto very end then back one page.

HandyHamlet

Here's a better post.

Tiawanda Moore, Woman Who Recorded Cops, Acquitted Of Felony Eavesdropping Charges (VIDEO)

First Posted: 8/25/11 12:11 PM ET Updated: 8/25/11 03:39 PM ET

A woman who secretly recorded a conversation with two Chicago Police investigators while filing a sexual harassment complaint last August was acquitted of the felony eavesdropping charges Wednesday, with one juror calling the trial a "waste of time."

As the Chicago Sun-Times reports, a Cook County jury took little more than an hour to find Tiawanda Moore not guilty of eavesdropping on police investigators, a crime which could have led to a sentence of up to 15 years in prison had she been convicted of the Class 1 felony.

"I think it's something we can handle without having to go through this process … If all you want is to make sure he doesn't bother you again, we can almost guarantee that given that we're going to be able to speak to his superiors," investigators told Moore in the recording, which was played for the jury during Wednesday's trial, according to ABC 7.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/25/tiawanda-moore-acquitted-_n_936313.html

Last edited:

KBCraig

While it's a good outcome for the defendant, and probably an example of jury nullification (hooray!), the law stands. Anyone, including Ms. Moore, can be arrested, charged, and tried for the same actions tomorrow.

eye95

Unfortunately this acquittal says nothing about the unconstitutionality of the eavesdropping law. Other than that, this is a good development.

Public officials should be willing to conduct public business in complete sunshine. If they are doing nothing wrong, they should be willing to submit all they do to scrutiny. The natural right to privacy exists for individuals, not for the State or its agents while acting on its behalf. The law should clearly recognize the individual right to privacy and total lack of privacy for State agents in the performance of their duty.

Deanimator

The Chicago lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police is on a moral par with NAMBLA.

Back in '96, they went on National Public to demand that police be exempted from laws intended to disarm those convicted of domestic violence. There "argument" was three-fold:

1. You can't take the gun from a cop who beats his wife because that's his "tool of the trade". The interviewer didn't think to ask if the same thing applied to hitmen and carjackers.
  2. If you take the gun from an angry, violent cop that'll just make him MORE angry and violent. Again, nobody asked why that didn't apply to private sector criminals.
  3. Cops convicted of domestic violence don't need to be disarmed because they'll be closely supervised... just apparently not closely enough to keep them from being cops after they're convicted of beating their wives.
You can actually get a transcript of the "All Thing Considered" show from the spring of '96. I just wish they had audio of it. The only stranger interview I've ever heard on NPR was with the "roving ambassador" of the Taliban prior to 9/11.

"Being proactive" is Chicago cop code for committing violent crimes against citizens, from sapping elderly men handcuffed to wheelchairs to committing home invasion robberies.

eye95

What was essentially a thread about recording the police has been successfully converted to a LEO-bashing thread just because the two stories are from the same city.

Well done.

Deanimator

What was essentially a thread about recording the police has been successfully converted to a LEO-bashing thread just because the two stories are from the same city.

Well done.
Thanks.

Of course you missed the common factor of "commentary" by the Chicago Lodge of the FOP... but I would expect no less.

The FOP is bad news in general. The Chicago FOP is evil incarnate.

eye95

Oh...well, then...that makes your post on point. *insert a decent eyeroll smiley here i.l.o. the new, lame one*

Um...no, it doesn't. It is just an excuse to bash.

Deanimator

Oh...well, then...that makes your post on point. *insert a decent eyeroll smiley here i.l.o. the new, lame one*

Um...no, it doesn't. It is just an excuse to bash.
Nah, you wouldn't want to criticize an organization with a DECADES long history of enabling police criminality, which inserted ITSELF into the extant case...

eye95

Nah, you wouldn't want to criticize an organization with a DECADES long history of enabling police criminality, which inserted ITSELF into the extant case...

I said nothing of the sort. In case you are having trouble understanding, I am saying that your post used a flimsy excuse to insert off-topic LEO-bashing into a thread about the legality of taping the police.

But, I think you get that. Your last post is just a bit of transparent defensiveness.

Moving on.

Deanimator

I said nothing of the sort. In case you are having trouble understanding, I am saying that your post used a flimsy excuse to insert off-topic LEO-bashing into a thread about the legality of taping the police.

But, I think you get that. Your last post is just a bit of transparent defensiveness.

Moving on.
Interesting how you're tying yourself into knots to defend the FOP, who inserted THEMSELVES into this case...

okboomer

Interesting how you're tying yourself into knots to defend the FOP, who inserted THEMSELVES into this case...

I got the tie-in ... woman is groped by bad cop answering call of domestic violence, she tries to file complaint and more bad cops, IA right?, try to talk her out of it. She records them and get's arrested, finger printed, thrown in jail, posts bond, goes in front of a judge where the DA tries to make her out to be a bad person, in which the 6 member jury refuses to convict. Oh, and by-the-way, she is a former :eek: stripper :eek:

Deanimator's post: bad cops want to be given a 'free pass' for beating wife, don't want to be convicted of felony, misdemeanor only, thank you, and still get to keep their weapon and the UNION is asking for all this with a straight face.

OUT OF CONTROL POLICE FORCE IN ... where? ... you got it ... CHICAGO, ILLINIOS ... where police seem to have carte blanche to grope, beat, and murder women