• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman acquitted of criminal eavesdropping on police

Deanimator

Deanimator's post: bad cops want to be given a 'free pass' for beating wife, don't want to be convicted of felony, misdemeanor only, thank you, and still get to keep their weapon and the UNION is asking for all this with a straight face.

OUT OF CONTROL POLICE FORCE IN ... where? ... you got it ... CHICAGO, ILLINIOS ... where police seem to have carte blanche to grope, beat, and murder women
Pretty close. The proposed legislation would have disarmed (as I recall) ALL those convicted of domestic abuse, whether the conviction was a felony OR misdemeanor.

What the Chicago Lodge of the FOP wanted was a BLANKET exemption from this law for police. They wanted cops convicted of domestic violence to be able to own, possess and carry firearms. I've already detailed their "reasoning".

Their having injected themselves into the extant case reflects the same attitude toward the public demonstrated in their desire to arm wife beaters... as long as they're cops.

If the FOP doesn't want to be condemned for their abhorrent positions, they need to keep them to themselves.

And as I said, pretty much any time a Chicago cop wants to justify something like sapping an elderly man handcuffed to a wheelchair, they call it "being pro-active". You don't have to take my word for it. You can review years worth of posts on SecondCityCop Blog for proof.

Regarding the case being discussed, it's hardly a surprise that the Chicago Lodge of the FOP wouldn't want citizens to be able to videotape cops being "pro-active". Two of the most damning recent acts of the Chicago Police Department, the murder of Michael Pleasance by Officer (later promoted to Detective) Alvin Weems, and the savage beating of barmaid Karolina Obrycka were caught on video, and were indeed the ONLY reasons that ANY iota of justice was afforded the victims of those crimes. Not coincidentally, the Chicago PD sought to suppress BOTH videos.

Video is NOT the friend of the Chicago Police Department nor of the Chicago Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police. It's in both their interests to fight citizens using it to prove police wrongdoing.

Last edited:

Deanimator

CHICAGO, ILLINIOS ... where police seem to have carte blanche to grope, beat, and murder women
To be accurate, Bolingbrook is a LONG way from the actual City of Chicago. I used to pass the "Old Chicago" indoor amusement park there while driving to college in central Missouri in the '70s.

Drew Peterson may have the Chicago Police Department attitude, but not the address...

Gunslinger

IL is a PDR run by a criminal pos named quinn; chicago is a Gulag run by a tin pot commisar. The police are his NKVD, above the law and existing only to keep subjects in line. The so called FOP is run by cops who exist only to protect the scum in their unions. It is all tied together and relevant to this thread. Rights mean nothing in dictatorships and the rare occurence when they are enforced is newsworthy.

OldCurlyWolf

At almost the same time another Illinois judge sentenced a man to 75 years on 5 counts of "Illegal Wiretapping". One of those charges was for bringing a recorder to court, because the court refused to provide a court reporter. Judge needs to go to Joliet himself. Maybe ten years will fix his attitude. It would for sure prevent him from any more rulings like that one.:mad::cuss:

HandyHamlet

That case has not gone to trial yet. And when it does it will be a jury trial.

But I agree with you. The judge, cops, and PA should all do time. To bad Joliet is closed.

[video=youtube;mNlJYSIzjoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlJYSIzjoU[/video]

TFred

While it's a good outcome for the defendant, and probably an example of jury nullification (hooray!), the law stands. Anyone, including Ms. Moore, can be arrested, charged, and tried for the same actions tomorrow.
I was hoping that this might be the case, but unfortunately, no, it was not. According to the HuffPo article, the jury found that the "case met the requirements of an exception to the law that allows recording in cases where a crime is suspected."

It certainly would have been much better if they had simply ruled "not guilty because it's a stupid law", but in that city, I suspect the judge would have simply declared a mistrial and started over, and probably charged the jury with some trumped up crime!

TFred

OldCurlyWolf

Unfortunately this acquittal says nothing about the unconstitutionality of the eavesdropping law. Other than that, this is a good development.

Public officials should be willing to conduct public business in complete sunshine. If they are doing nothing wrong, they should be willing to submit all they do to scrutiny. The natural right to privacy exists for individuals, not for the State or its agents while acting on its behalf. The law should clearly recognize the individual right to privacy and total lack of privacy for State agents in the performance of their duty.

Good point. It sure doesn't help the fellow in Illinois that was just convicted of 5 counts of the same charge in a bench trial(at least I think it was a Bench Trial), one of those five charges being charged by the presiding judge. Can anyone say "RECUSAL"?

BAD LAW. One where ALL JURIES in the state on that charge should be thoroughly advised about jury nullification.

If ever I happen to sit on a jury with that charge and similar circumstances, there will NOT BE A CONVICTION.

BaconMan

I do not understand how this law is allowed to remain in the Illinois penal code. I am not a supporter of the ACLU, but why have they not attacked this law with a vengence. I see no issue with recording anyone, in public from a public street. The several folks that were showed getting arrested, especially the one guy who was arrested inside his own home was really sad. This type of actions by government is unconstitutional. If any officer is recorded making an arrest, then take the tape or recording as eveidence. But, to arrest the person doing the recording....just plain old sad.:cuss:

If for one day, numerous people in Illinois was to record officers, randomly, throughout the state to show how silly that particular stated law as written is, and if everyone requested a speedy trial as well as a jury trial, that state's government would shut down.:banghead:

I think it is funny, I am assuming you can OC in Illinois, but you cannot record anything on your person recording device, in public.:lol:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I do not understand how this law is allowed to remain in the Illinois penal code. I am not a supporter of the ACLU, but why have they not attacked this law with a vengence. I see no issue with recording anyone, in public from a public street. The several folks that were showed getting arrested, especially the one guy who was arrested inside his own home was really sad. This type of actions by government is unconstitutional. If any officer is recorded making an arrest, then take the tape or recording as eveidence. But, to arrest the person doing the recording....just plain old sad.:cuss:

If for one day, numerous people in Illinois was to record officers, randomly, throughout the state to show how silly that particular stated law as written is, and if everyone requested a speedy trial as well as a jury trial, that state's government would shut down.:banghead:

I think it is funny, I am assuming you can OC in Illinois, but you cannot record anything on your person recording device, in public.:lol:

Nope, no OC either, at least off of your own property or even on your own property in Chicagoland. The ACLU is in fact providing the defense for a man that faces up to 75 years in prison for recording police and other officials. That will be the case to watch to see how this shakes out.

Elwood: Illinois Nazis.
Jake: I hate Illinois Nazis.

JakeBlues.JPG

TFred

Really? You need to pay closer attention.

See Gun laws in the United States (Illinois)

Not only can you not Open Carry in Illinois, you can't carry at all! And in fact, until McDonald, several big cities, such as Chicago, outright banned you from even possessing handguns in your home!

Now I see that you are in California, and this is Illinois we are talking about... but McDonald really was big news that changed the entire landscape for us. You should probably find a good source of RKBA news and browse through it once in a while! :)

TFred

BaconMan

Nope, no OC either, at least off of your own property or even on your own property in Chicagoland. The ACLU is in fact providing the defense for a man that faces up to 75 years in prison for recording police and other officials. That will be the case to watch to see how this shakes out.

Elwood: Illinois Nazis.
Jake: I hate Illinois Nazis.

JakeBlues.JPG

And folks say California is out there....Illinois is part of the heartland of these United States....:cuss:

MKEgal

TFred said:
Not only can you not Open Carry in Illinois, you can't carry at all!
Unloaded & encased carry is legal w/ a FOID, or (for non-IL residents) with a permit.
So arguably one could carry U/E in a fanny pack & be a few seconds from being able to effectively respond to an attack... assuming the time & ability to get to the U/E pistol.
I'm not willing to be a test case, esp. in Chitcago. But other people have done it.

SFCRetired

Good on her! Bad police and DA; naughty! *smacks with rolled up newspaper*

Oh, and stripping is a fine profession in my book! :D

Agree with both parts of this post. Someone Google "Gypsy Rose Lee" and "Sally Rand" if you will. Those were back in the days when "exotic dancing" was not just "strip and shake".

TFred

Unloaded & encased carry is legal w/ a FOID, or (for non-IL residents) with a permit.
So arguably one could carry U/E in a fanny pack & be a few seconds from being able to effectively respond to an attack... assuming the time & ability to get to the U/E pistol.
I'm not willing to be a test case, esp. in Chitcago. But other people have done it.
Well, I suppose if you consider handicapping oneself with all those encumbrances to actually be "carrying a self-defense weapon", then I would stand corrected. Maybe all the criminals in Illinois announce their intentions ahead of time. Gives a whole new meaning to the "21 foot rule". In Illinois, a criminal attacking you from 21 feet away would give you just enough time to whip out your unloaded gun... and hand it to them.

TFred

OldCurlyWolf

If you consider Illinois to be part of the "heartland" no wonder our country is having so many issues!

Actually once you get far enough south of Chicago the whole complexion of the state changes(I am not talking skin color either). The basic problem is that the population in and near Chicago is large enough and votes for felon (just not yet convicted) Democrats, that the rest of the state can't get any relief.:mad:

TFred

Actually once you get far enough south of Chicago the whole complexion of the state changes(I am not talking skin color either). The basic problem is that the population in and near Chicago is large enough and votes for felon (just not yet convicted) Democrats, that the rest of the state can't get any relief.:mad:
I would imagine it's a lot like upstate New York. There are some fine folks and country there, once you get out and away from the cess-pool. Problem is all the same laws, policies and taxes fill out to the state lines.

TFred