Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry AND Concealed Carry Simultaneously? I.E. Backup Gun??

Thumbs up Open Carry AND Concealed Carry Simultaneously? I.E. Backup Gun??

The other day a close friend of mine posed a question to me...well two actually. The first question, which is on many peoples minds is:

1) Are you going to continue to open carry if/when you get a concealed carry permit? My answer: Yes, as much as possible. We must continue to open carry...this is exercising our right visually and will be a learning experience for others.

And the question that I have given much thought to is this:

2) Are you going to carry a backup gun? My answer at the time was: "I don't know. I hadn't thought about that." When I carried concealed in Florida and Washington I did carry two guns. My primary and my backup but BOTH were concealed.

This question should get those thinking of continuing to open carry to possibly carry a backup CONCEALED gun (legally with a Wisconsin license of course). Of course if you answer the question as "Yes" then you have to consider a holster, gun, ammo, etc. for your backup gun. (another gun....always a good thing!).

So...this led me to ask my retired deputy friend in N.M. what his thoughts were. His answer was quick. He said that 85% of LEO's that have their hand gun forcibly taken from them end up having those firearms used against them or attempted to use against them. He told me he always carried a backup gun.

Something to consider folks.

Carry On.....
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Oh boy, I get to buy another gun. Hmmm, what shall it be.....?

I have mine all set (well, I need a holster for the BUG, but I know what I want).
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I have one.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Back when that guy got robbed of this OC handgun, I said way back then that I will always carry CC handgun to get my OC handgun back. So, yes I do..Ummm.... i mean I will.

I have a few thoughts on this. Even though somebody told me a couple of weeks ago that I'd be part of the "lunatic fringe" if I carried more than one gun, I'm literally sticking to my guns on this. There are a number of reasons a BUG makes sense. Worrying that someone is going to take your primary gun away from you is perhaps valid, but it is rather low on my list of reasons. It's a much greater concern for the police, who ARE openly carrying their primary firearm. Not only that, but they are also in the business of apprehending criminals and suspects, that's a risky part of the their job. We're not in that business. We don't have a duty or need to pursue and apprehend bad guys, and the more distance we put between ourselves and a bad guy, the better. It's much less likely that a bad guy would try a gun grab on someone who isn't a cop. Even less likely if it's concealed, because they can't grab what they don't know to be there.

There are other valid arguments in favor of a back up gun however. One, is that it is probably easier and quicker to draw a second gun than to fix certain malfunctions, particularly a breakage in the primary gun. Another, is that it allows you to arm a second person so you can operate as a team. I'm never far from my gun wherever I am, but Glockgirl does not always take hers when we're out. Does that mean I'd leave her unarmed if a threat appeared? No way! What if I got shot and taken out of action? Having two guns allows us both to be armed.

I don't only consider a gun as the only back up weapon. I've got a hell of a knife or two also. Nice thing is, they don't run out of ammo and they're mechanically reliable.

I've considered simultaneous open and concealed carry. I've always wanted to carry one of my cap-n-ball revolvers, but I wouldn't rely on it for primary defense, or any single action revolver for that matter. This ain't the 1860's. But now with the new law it won't be such a hassle to transport a black powder revolver in a vehicle. For vehicle transport purposes such a gun is considered unloaded if there are no caps on the nipples--- I wouldn't relish the thought of prying caps off before getting into my car and having to put them back on when I get out. Come Nov 1, it wouldn't be necessary to do that. I suppose if I did that, the old style Remington .44 would be the BUG.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I suppose if I did that, the old style Remington .44 would be the BUG.
    Oh, like in Blackpowder Ugly Gun?

Campaign Veteran
    Dual XDM 3.8's. Worried about carrying two different types of magazines, and don't want to confuse them. Just easier to carry the identical weapon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	six_regloosse.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	6744

Now, if I could pull this off, I totally would. This might be a little more subtle though......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boondock1p.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	6745
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

If I owned any firearms, I would continue to open carry even after I got the permit. My main reason for getting the permit would be the GFSZ thing and now also to be 100% covered while open carrying in a vehicle.

If I owned any firearms, my daily open carry would be an XD-40 (.40 Cal.) and if I had a firearm for conceal carry or to carry as a BUG, It would probably be a Glock 27 Sub-Compact (also in .40 Cal.). That way the same ammo for either firearm. I might also consider having a IWB and also a ankle holster for the Glock.

Now all I have to do is decide if I am ever going to actually carry a firearm... If the answer turns out to be yes... I had better start saving my pennies...

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 08-26-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Oh, like in Blackpowder Ugly Gun?
    Nooooo! She's a beauty! And the smell of the powder? Divinely sweet. Or is it sweetly divine? Either way, once you've shot black you'll never go back. It's literally fire and brimstone. In fact, I think I'll name my two .44's Fire and Brimstone.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

....once you've shot black you'll never go back.
    I am glad you didn't say that in an interview. Just imagine how the liberal anti-gun media could have taken that out of context and put thier spin on it.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 08-26-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Yes I'm going to carry a BUG. Glock 19 for primary and Glock 26 for back up. I will be able to use the magazines for the 19 in the 26 if I have to. Plus I'm having the same sighs installed on both and having trigger jobs on both too. I want them both to have the same feeling when I pick them up.
    Member:
    GOA-Life, NRA, WCI.

I have always thought that a bug was a good idea carried on my weak side for use if I am unable to use my strong arm or hand. If you are built like me it is almost impossible to retrieve my weapon with my weak side hand while holstered on strong side. When you stop and think of it there are many things that can keep you from drawing with your strong side, holding a child or loved one, shot or broken arm or hand, pinned to wall or floor, wishing to conceal draw, holding off BG with strong side or BG has ahold of your arm. I know that SA will do a lot to keep this from happening, but what if.......

Nooooo! She's a beauty! And the smell of the powder? Divinely sweet. Or is it sweetly divine?
    Wow, I have a girlfriend named Sweetly Divine.

Well... a girlfriend when I have cash anyway. She's from Russia.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Wow, I have a girlfriend named Sweetly Divine.

Well... a girlfriend when I have cash anyway. She's from Russia.
    From Russia.....?????? hmmmmmmmm....???? Does she have a sister... or two...????

Now if her name was Ava (Divine)...nevermind.....

Outdoorsman1

Ok.. On point...

Kc.38
    I have always thought that a bug was a good idea carried on my weak side for use if I am unable to use my strong arm or hand. If you are built like me it is almost impossible to retrieve my weapon with my weak side hand while holstered on strong side. When you stop and think of it there are many things that can keep you from drawing with your strong side, holding a child or loved one, shot or broken arm or hand, pinned to wall or floor, wishing to conceal draw, holding off BG with strong side or BG has ahold of your arm. I know that SA will do a lot to keep this from happening, but what if.......
    I (too) am "built" in such a way that my choice of where to carry my BUG (open or concealed) is a little limited... I would not be able to draw from any (IWB or OWB) holster located at "the small of my back". This is also an excellent on point topic of discussion for this thread... Without giving away any secrets.... where are you most comfortable "holstering" your BUG.... I am kinda limited to my "weak side", ankle holster, or maybe even a shoulder (or acrossed the chest) type holster....

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 08-26-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

Outdoorsman1

What does BUG stand for?

And Yes, I tried to Google it.

Back Up Gun...

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman1

McX
    back up gun seems reasonable to me. but my pants sag enough already.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post

Now if her name was Ava (Divine)...nevermind.....

I firmly believe if one Open Carried Ava Devine on his arm he wood be immune to attack. Her twin talents wood certainly render any potential threat impotent. (Except of course for the occasional catty remark of a jealous female)

Therefore a BUG would be unnecessary.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

I (too) am "built" in such a way that my choice of where to carry my BUG (open or concealed) is a little limited... I would not be able to draw from any (IWB or OWB) holster located at "the small of my back". This is also an excellent on point topic of discussion for this thread... Without giving away any secrets.... where are you most comfortable "holstering" your BUG.... I am kinda limited to my "weak side", ankle holster, or maybe even a shoulder (or acrossed the chest) type holster....

Outdoorsman1
    I am sure that it a matter of preference on where to carry a BUG, however, I have an ankle rig and can easily carry my .38 snubby there and can be gotten with either hand. Which I feel is a +. I am not a fan of ankle carry but if anything were to happen I would probably find myself on the floor anyway trying to look like an ant. One has to remember that chances are really low that I will ever have to draw my EDC, and chances are lower yet that I would not be able to use it, and chances are really really low that I will ever need my BUG. Also maybe my LCP in weak side pocket. If it is to uncomfortable it just won't happen.

I also read about people carrying a 1911 for EDC and a Glock 27 as a BUG w/ two mags for each plus a knife and flashlight. If I strapped that on every morning my wife would have to haul me around in a wheelbarrow. I know that for some people that is fine but for me it would get old real quick.

Back Up Gun...

Outdoorsman1

Now I feel silly that I couldn't figure that one out. Thank You.

Here, I thought BUG was slang for LCP.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 08-26-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    back up gun seems reasonable to me. but my pants sag enough already.
    This is my weapon; my gun is for fun...
    Attachment 6749
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57
    1) Are you going to continue to open carry if/when you get a concealed carry permit?
    Yes, of course.

2) Are you going to carry a backup gun?
    Maybe. It makes sense to do so, & will be easier once the state stops infringing quite so much on our right to carry.
    Only problem is that then I'd have to carry a permit & provide ID if an officer thought OC = RAS... or go through the hassle of explaining that it's not, & get the supervisor, etc.

this led me to ask my retired deputy friend in N.M. what his thoughts were.
    He told me he always carried a backup gun.
    "HOW MANY GUNS ARE IN THE HOUSE?"
    "I don't know, but I'm guessing at least five."

Should have said ten... really blow his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet
    Wow, I have a girlfriend named Sweetly Divine... from Russia
    You two-timing You told me I was your one & only!
    Last edited by MKEgal; 08-26-2011 at 11:22 PM.

The first day that I get my permit in hand I'll both OC and CC at least for that day. Why? Because I want to celebrate.

McX
    Nooooo! She's a beauty! And the smell of the powder? Divinely sweet. Or is it sweetly divine? Either way, once you've shot black you'll never go back. It's literally fire and brimstone. In fact, I think I'll name my two .44's Fire and Brimstone.
    i am contemplating a black powder primary carry, in a nice cross draw, once i get it, and learn to change cylinders quickly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast