• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry AND Concealed Carry Simultaneously? I.E. Backup Gun??

MKEgal

rcawdor57 said:
1) Are you going to continue to open carry if/when you get a concealed carry permit?
Yes, of course.

2) Are you going to carry a backup gun?
Maybe. It makes sense to do so, & will be easier once the state stops infringing quite so much on our right to carry.
Only problem is that then I'd have to carry a permit & provide ID if an officer thought OC = RAS... or go through the hassle of explaining that it's not, & get the supervisor, etc.

this led me to ask my retired deputy friend in N.M. what his thoughts were.
He told me he always carried a backup gun.
"HOW MANY GUNS ARE IN THE HOUSE?"
"I don't know, but I'm guessing at least five."

Should have said ten... really blow his mind.

HandyHamlet said:
Wow, I have a girlfriend named Sweetly Divine... from Russia
You two-timing :cuss: You told me I was your one & only! :lol:

Last edited:
M

McX

Nooooo! She's a beauty! And the smell of the powder? Divinely sweet. Or is it sweetly divine? Either way, once you've shot black you'll never go back. It's literally fire and brimstone. In fact, I think I'll name my two .44's Fire and Brimstone.

i am contemplating a black powder primary carry, in a nice cross draw, once i get it, and learn to change cylinders quickly.

Badger Johnson

Good thread.

Mistakes - in a partner situation, one has a Ruger LCP the other a Kel-tec. The FREAKING mags are not compatible. :cuss: :banghead: In fact it's not difficult to pick up the wrong mag. If you both have the same HG, then she might have yours, and you hers when you get dressed in the morning especially if the holsters are similar.

Problem solving - I can easily carry two or three HG. One on the belt, one in the coat pocket or off body carry (man-purse), one in a conceal shirt under armpit (5.11 conceal shirt) and be quite comfortable. I have a small waist and a large ribcage/chest so I can easily conceal on the waist and underarm without printing. Ordinarily I don't but if I'm going to the outdoor range I have a method to take several firearms and a minimal range bag.

If my partner has a revolver and I have a semi-auto we have a reliability solution and a capacity solution. We're together on almost all outings.

Question - should we carry a mag for each others' semi-auto? Might be confusing. A man purse option might be one solution. A double stack for the XD would be obviously different than the LCP single stack. Quickstrips for the LCR obviously for the revolver.

Doing it all, by yourself can be problematic. Much easier with a buddy system.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Deadscott

I had no intentions of carrying a BUG. During my first training class last week I saw how easily your strong arm ends up in a grapple, fend off, struggle type of situation. Now I intend to carry a BUG on my weak side.

Oh, I don't open carry.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I also firmly agree with a BUG. I do not have the money to buy another gun right now though. I only have one. It's a Sig Sauer SP2022 .40 S&W. This is why I also carry a knife on my weak side.

jpm84092

I am tall and quite thin, so I can easily conceal a larger frame handgun. My primary is a concealed Springfield XD-9, unless I am feeling like having a Glock Day and then it is a Glock 21.

I also always have my BUG (Kel Tech 32) carried in a pants pocket holster.

Zeus

SIGGuy23, nice piece on the avatar. I have several SP2022's. Nice guns for a great price. The trigger is top notch.

M

McX

Ha! Just remember that huge cloud of smoke only provides concealment, not cover.

a 'cannon of the hand', which can be used to intimidate an attacker without firing, or whack him on the noggin with, splitting his skull, while not harming the gun, and ofcourse the memorable mental imprint it will leave when it is fired.

Lurchiron

a 'cannon of the hand', which can be used to intimidate an attacker without firing, or whack him on the noggin with, splitting his skull, while not harming the gun, and ofcourse the memorable mental imprint it will leave when it is fired.

Ahh yes...a pistol whipping always trumps a bitch-slap!!! :dude:

Viper

After getting my WI CFP I will continue to OC my XD45 strong side and CC my G36 on my weak side IWB. Not the same mags, but the same rounds nonetheless.

When OC isn't an option I will carry my G36 IWB on the strong side.