• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"man with a gun" calls

larry3100

I live in Va. but am actually from N.C. I still visit family fairly often there and am concerned with the mwag restriction that N.C. has,from what I have read IF someone reports a mwag you will at the very least lose your weapon..does anyone have any idea how often this kind of call is made??has anyone ever been the victim of one of these calls...I do have a Va. issued chp and usually conceal carry but still i worry about what would happen if i were ever the victim of such a call.....

jeffrey xd45

This is not true, I believe you are referring to the whole Going Armed To The Terror of The Public thing. If a person does call in MWAG thats their fault for being scared and as long as your firearm is being openly carried and your not waving it around trying to terrorize anyone everything is fine. Now that's not to say that the local LEO will not respond and check you out. I ride a sportbike (crotch rocket) an open carry on my right hip a full sized XD 45 acp and not a single negative reaction....yet. I'm pretty sure more people will chime in with more knowledge then I and maybe explain it a little bit better.

Going Armed to the Terror of the Public

This is a common law offense (272 N.C. 535; 32 N.C. App 495).

A person guilty of this offense

(1) arms himself or herself with unusual and dangerous weapons (firearm)

(2) for the purpose of terrifying others

(3) and goes about on public highways

(4) in a manner to cause terror to others.

In order to be charged, all four conditions need to be met.

-a firearm openly carried on the hip does not constitute as gatttotp-

Last edited:

Dreamer

larry3100,

Most places in NC are VERY OC-friendly. I've been OCing almost every day for the last 3 years all over Eastern NC (and occasionally in the Raleigh area, and a few times out west and in Charlotte) and I've never once had an issue--not even been approached by an LEO.

The only place you might have problems are in Cary or Durham, because they have some oddball local laws, but the VAST majority of the state is VERY open to OC.

IF you have a VA CHP, that is a plus. IF you are approached by a cop, and he insists on seeing an ID (which, technically they can't do unless you are operating a vehicle, but they sometimes ask during "walk ups"), and you don't want to cause a fuss, just give him your DL and CHP. When they know you have a CC permit, it helps.

MWAG calls are not very frequent down here. In fact they are pretty rare, based on the history of this forum.

And the GAttTotP charge is INCREDIBLY rare. It is used as a 'pile on" charge when people are doing other stupid or unlawful things, but it is almost NEVER a "stand alone" charge, and it NEVER sticks in court if all you were doing was lawfully OCing. It is a VERY specific charge that has VERY specific requirements to be met to be applicable. "jeffrey xd45" covered the exact wording of the law, so hopefully between his post and mine, you are more at ease, and understand the REAL way this law works. There is a LOT of hearsay about the GAttTotP thing, and the sad fact is, most cops and CC instructors have absolutely NO CLUE as to the true nature and history of this charge, and sometimes try to use this charge as a way to discourage people from OCing.

OC is 100 legal in NC (with a few restrictions).

I would tell you not to worry. If you want to OC in NC, then Carry On!

Be polite, have a smile, and don't get snappy or snarky if other citizens (or a cop) asks you why you are carrying. And if a business owner (or employee) asked you to leave their establishment, then just politely leave.

What parts of NC to you visit? More specifics would help us tremendously to give you a better assessment of what you might expect.

Enjoy your time in the "Tarheel State". We respect OC down here, and generally (with a few restrictions) it's very similar to VA, with regards to the acceptance of OC by the public.

Last edited:

dmatting

The only place you might have problems are in Cary or Durham, because they have some oddball local laws, but the VAST majority of the state is VERY open to OC.

I don't know about Cary (We escaped that insane asylum back in '97), but my experiences so far in Durham County have amounted to nothing but non-experiences. I have a single exception of some loud mouth at Lowe's Home Improvement (a customer spewing off - management had no problem). This ranges from the northern end of the county to the southern end. I've carried in numerous different grocery stores, home improvement stores (both the blue and the orange ones), restaurants, apartment complexes and main offices, hair salons, Walmart, Sam's Club, gas stations, etc. and its all pretty boring.

I just wanted to throw that out there ... have no fear of Durham County. I think the rumors are bigger than reality.

larry3100

Well guys I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me because I was concerned with the chance of something happening and not being in a very good position to defend myself against a mwag charge,after all the responces I do feel a lot more comfortable about carrying when I return home to visit....Oh I am from the G'boro,High Point area...thanks again for all your help and advice

Last edited: