• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Still waiting

Law abider

On 8/19/11 I had e mailed the village of Ellsworth requesting that they review their village ordinance regarding discharge and bearing of fire arms because the bearing part was not in compliance with state statutes. They have not responded yet. However their next village meeting will be on September 12th. So I'll wait till a week after that for a response. I suppose the usual tactic is to ignore the request thinking the person will give up. I think that all you you must be tired of words without action like I am. So I will be planning a detailed follow ups etc... Those of you who are experts need to give me advice and direction also because I am a fallible human being and can make mistakes in my approaches and plans...
I believe that appropriate pressure at the right times is needed in order for us to have our constitutional rights restored. Generally speaking, DAs and LEOs feel that citizens have no right to exercise their constitutional rights, except them. So.... please feel free to advise me. I wish we could build trust between LEOs and us but I don't see that in a long shot.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I wouldn't wait until the 12th. I would wait unyil the end of today (7 days). If you don't get a response I would send a letter by certified mail asking for it to be placed on the agenda for the September 12th meeting. Otherwise it may not be until October or November before they decide to take it up. You may also want to contact the county/city/town attorney and point out the invalid part of the law. He will be helpful at the board meeting if you get him on your side. Good luck.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Details, details...

Who did you send the email to? Usually if you send it to the chair and copy the members, the city's attorney, and the Chief of Police, you will get an acknowledgment and then action at the next meeting.

By the way, just a suggestion; next time you are following up on a previous post, just continue on with that thread instead of starting a new one; makes it much easier to follow.

Last edited:

Law abider

Thanks

I wouldn't wait until the 12th. I would wait unyil the end of today (7 days). If you don't get a response I would send a letter by certified mail asking for it to be placed on the agenda for the September 12th meeting. Otherwise it may not be until October or November before they decide to take it up. You may also want to contact the county/city/town attorney and point out the invalid part of the law. He will be helpful at the board meeting if you get him on your side. Good luck.

Thanks buddy!. Keep safe from the hurricane's path.

Law abider

Hubert Hoffman

I received a reply from Hubert Hoffman WI Carry VP. I wrote: Dear Hubert:
I live in the Ellsworth area and will become a member of Wi carry soon. My concern is that our village( I live in the township of Ellsworth) has an ordinance contrary to state statutes 66.0409 regarding open carry. I have e mailed the honorable council members but no reply yet. I did send another e mail today both to them and the police chief.

Is this a wise way to proceed in amending the ordinance or should I just forget it?
He replied: Many if not all municipalities have these "ordinances" in place and as you stated, they are unenforceable. In my experience all of them know they cannot be enforced.

The biggest problem you face, is that you live in the "Township" and you want to change an ordinance in the "Village." From the elected officials point of view, you can't vote for them so they most likely won't listen to you.

I believe you have done the right thing by asking to have the ordinance corrected. In the meantime, should you choose to exercise you right to carry (openly) I wouldn't expect the local law enforcement to attempt to use the ordinance.

Carry On,

Hubert Hoffman, Vice President
Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I think thet was a very good advice.

BROKENSPROKET

Several people have gotten there local ordinances changed. It takes getting involved beyond sending letters and emails. you have to go to the village board meetings.

If you started a post called "how do I get my local oridinances changed?'" some will give advice and psot links to past dicussions.

I think a better use of our energy would be to get our legislators to put teeth into 66.0409 just like Florida just did.

Law abider

Florida

Several people have gotten there local ordinances changed. It takes getting involved beyond sending letters and emails. you have to go to the village board meetings.

If you started a post called "how do I get my local oridinances changed?'" some will give advice and psot links to past dicussions.

I think a better use of our energy would be to get our legislators to put teeth into 66.0409 just like Florida just did.

You are right BROKENSPROKET. I think I'll see if Sen Glenn Grothman who has a JD can give advice. He is one of the many that sends me regular e mails and replies back to my e mails.