• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Doc seemed disappointed that I wasn't OCing

DocWalker

Your provider seems to be a good guy. The question is how do you keep your holster on in one of those little open back gowns?

I have worked in the medical field for over 25 years mostly in pre-hospital and emergency departments. You have a good question about the anti-gun culture in hospitals and it is primarily do to what guns in the wrong hands can do the human body. A lot of the Doctors have come from families that had means to pay for schooling and were not your average Joe so to speak. Another reason as stated is the oath and "Do No Harm".

I have had the misfortune of being shot at work both while working in the military and civilian sectors, and both here in the states. Iraq and Afghanistan is another story. Heath Care workers are actually exposed to a higher percentage of work place violence than most jobs to include LEO. I had an x-ray tech bring me a chest x-ray that showed the handle of a gun in his back waste band; he was scared but we got him calmed down. The guy was just traveling on his motorcycle cross country and forgot he was armed before coming to the ED.

MKEgal

DocWalker said:
The question is how do you keep your holster on in one of those little open back gowns?
Belly band? Thunderwear?

I had an x-ray tech bring me a chest x-ray that showed the handle of a gun in his back waistband; he was scared but we got him calmed down. The guy was just traveling on his motorcycle cross country and forgot he was armed before coming to the ED.
LOL Did they have to re-do the Xray sans pistol, to get a clear view of the spine/pelvis?
"Forgot he was armed"... probably got hurt & didn't have time or means to explain to the EMTs, etc.
Plus getting that reaction. :(
I can't imagine being put on a backboard, or even one of those little cots, then being transported bouncing on my pistol. :shocker: Ow.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
I had to take a pee test for work and the nurse asked me to put all my things in a box and then take the key. I was CC that day (was in another state) and I told her I never leave my gun out of my control while I emptied my wallet, keys, etc. into the lock box. She wanted to check it to see if the gun had fake pee stashed! I did remove the magazine to show her it contained real ammo, but explained I would not remove the actual gun from the holster, and she was fine with that.

There was a "no weapons" sign on the front door.