• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody else see this.

the500kid

Did anybody else see this? I'm not sure I'm buying either sides story.

http://news.yahoo.com/slain-pa-officer-had-pointed-stun-gun-2-184747278.html

FREEMANSBURG, Pa. (AP) — A police officer slain while responding to a domestic disturbance in a small eastern Pennsylvania borough had pointed a stun gun at two dogs before being shot, according to court records.

The Morning Call of Allentown reports Freemansburg police Officer Robert Lasso had pointed at the attacking dogs when the homeowner pulled out a shotgun and fired the fatal blast Thursday evening.

In police custody later, the alleged gunman, 46-year-old George Hitcho Jr., said he had told Lasso to get off his property and not come on unless he had a warrant, authorities said.

"He tried to kill my dogs and pointed a gun in my face," Hitcho said, according to the documents. "I do not care if you a cop or not ...Unbelievable ... ."

The officer had been responding to a report of a disturbance and ended up at the back of Hitcho's house, authorities said, where Police Chief George Bruneio also arrived after Lasso had requested assistance. Bruneio instructed the officer to "shoot the dogs" and that's when the homeowner pulled out a shotgun and fired, authorities said.

Lasso, 31, a married father of two, was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett has ordered flags in the Capitol complex and in Northampton County to be flown at half-staff to honor Lasso.

At a news conference Friday, Lasso's family said they were devastated.

"Robert, he was so good," said his mother, Elsie Stem. "He was so loved, especially by his kids. Now they have to grow up without a daddy. It's not fair."

SFCRetired

It's strange that only a very few comments on that site are favorable to the police. I hate it that a human being has died and another human being is going to probably spend the rest of his life in prison. I do not understand how the officer wound up in the man's back yard (secured from what I gather) and then thought it was the thing to do to taze the man's dogs.

There just seems to be a lot here that is not being told. Wonder if the truth will ever come out?

stainless1911

Banned
Doubtful, but the way the .gov has been towards people lately, busting people over lemonade, dancing, pot, and shooting family pets, Im not at all suprised at the comments. Its not cop bashing, its thier responsibility to either change or sleep in the bed they made.

Get2DahChopper

Doubtful, but the way the .gov has been towards people lately, busting people over lemonade, dancing, pot, and shooting family pets, Im not at all suprised at the comments. Its not cop bashing, its thier responsibility to either change or sleep in the bed they made.

Let's remember that we will probably never get the whole story here. I believe most police are decent humans. The issue is they protect the very small minority of bad ones most of the time in my honest opinion. So until the police start policing their own how can they expect respect from law abiding citizens? Not bashing here I have friends that are honest, hard working, officers that care about their communities.

stainless1911

Banned
I agree. I've considered becoming a cop more than once. The increase in the frequency and severity of attacks on civilians is starting to raise a lot of red flags with a lot of people that would otherwise be oblivious to such matters.

mastiff69

I also went to school in 1981, KCC to become a officer and after 17 credits i woke up and decided that i did not want to be a babysitter, nor a paper shoveler to make money for the city...
Chose a different path whether it was the right one or not, the jury is still out !

Last edited:

HKcarrier

Problem is that cops now a days have become more ESCALATORS of situations, not DE-ESCALATORS... they make things WORSE when they show up...

Of course it was a "domestic disturbance call".... yeah? who called? Where is the 911 tape from someone calling? What was the call about? Was there an arrest made on the domestic? Who was being disturbed? What do they say about the situation?

Sounds to me like the cops didn't really have much of a reason to be rooting around there.. no one was in direct peril... the guy said to get off his property...

The police need to learn to give citizens a little more respect... they go around assuming everyone is a criminal then they wonder why everyone else goes around assuming they are a jack-booted thug.

Terrible that this family man lost his life... and his family lost their daddy...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Let's remember that we will probably never get the whole story here. I believe most police are decent humans. The issue is they protect the very small minority of bad ones most of the time in my honest opinion. So until the police start policing their own how can they expect respect from law abiding citizens?

Well, I agree, but besides the unequal power structure, I think many other jobs in which are based upon interacting in an official manner with citizens is not immune. I'm not trying to say what happened was correct nor am I defending any other vocation, but I do understand a police officer's behavior from the standpoint of who he deals with day in and out. In his mind, 95% if the people he deals with are criminals.
Let me give you an example: I work with a broad range of young people in my work. I've worked with some teens that would be considered some of the most dangerous members of our society; if they were not as young as they are, they would he either in jail or prison. So, I deal with out of control behavior everyday... I've been threatened, cursed, spat upon, falsely accused of various illegal acts, had my car damaged, and my property has been stolen by those I am dutybound to help. Not complaining, because I really do enjoy what I do... as some of you here have the same type of job, I'm sure you understand.
In order to do my job effectively, I must behave in such a way that not only do I protect property and other students, I must also do so while respecting the person with whom I now have to concern myself, and at the same time follow the official policies of my employer.
It is tough at times and I readily admit I have said or done some things in situations where a decision is made in an instant... not all of my reactions were in complete agreement with what my responsibilities are.
Like I said, I'm not trying to excuse anyone in this story, especially since I don't have all the facts. The problem is, when I have a failure to follow my employer's mandates based upon a wrong choice made in an instant, it is unlikely someone could die. LEO's, though, may come into a situation where, if policy was not followed, and I'm not saying it wasn't, people may die.

Last edited:

MR Redenck

OK I see several things wrong with this.
First, No dogs life will ever be worth the life of a person.
Second, the story didnt say the disturbance happened at that homeowners place.
Third, when a property owner tells you to GTFO my property, then GTFO!!!
If something needs attention then GO GET A WARRANT! Keep a judge on Call and Sober!!!
Fourth, this pointing a stun gun crap is probably 100% fabricated! I'll bet is was a handgun instead.
Fifth, NO COP Should Ever Enter Private Property WITHOUT A WARRANT!!!!!

I see a lot of court issues with this case. Hope it doesnt turn out like the no knock search warrant rulings.
We need to all get involved with this!

door-mat-come-back-with-a-warrant.jpg

Michigun

There was an incident not too far from me where an officer entered some private property to investigate a possible fire and was attacked by the owners dog. the cop was bitten several times before shooting and killing the dog. The story was in the detroit news or herald but im not sure what became of it. It was a loss for both sides.