• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Horror Movies. An amplified projection of the victim mentality.

Malcolm

As I sit here reading some good forums. The remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is on. When I was younger I watched a lot of horror films. When I got older and into firearms these movies (though completely fictional) have always had a way of reinforcing why I carry everyday. (Like the news doesn't do a good enough job of that.) I think It's that whole victim mentality thing. Can anyone tell me why they never make a horror film about 5 professional shooters on their way to a competition when they get lost down a road and run into some mutant hillbillies?

Oh, because it would only be a 30 min movie. one I'd go to see in the theater though.

It's funny that the whole basis of the genre is helplessness. (Must be written, produced, directed, acted and edited by members of the democratic party.):D:uhoh:

Daylen

As I sit here reading some good forums. The remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is on. When I was younger I watched a lot of horror films. When I got older and into firearms these movies (though completely fictional) have always had a way of reinforcing why I carry everyday. (Like the news doesn't do a good enough job of that.) I think It's that whole victim mentality thing. Can anyone tell me why they never make a horror film about 5 professional shooters on their way to a competition when they get lost down a road and run into some mutant hillbillies?

Oh, because it would only be a 30 min movie. one I'd go to see in the theater though.

It's funny that the whole basis of the genre is helplessness. (Must be written, produced, directed, acted and edited by members of the democratic party.):D:uhoh:

Not all Horror movies are exercises in getting women to scream and cuddle closer in a theater. You need to expand your film horizons more; there are plenty of horror movies that are fine expositions on how to deal with scary ****. And not all decent Horror movies are 30 minutes or less, in fact I don't know of any that short. Here is a short list of horror movies for your edification.

Phantasm
Alien
Invasion of the Body snatchers
the classic Night of the Living Dead (yes annoying at first but it turns around)
The Leprechaun (but remember Warwick's character is the hero of the story, and yes it is of the Greek Tragedy form where the hero falls in the end)
Screamers

Outdoorsman1

I like the movies which start out that a group of people (sheeple) are being terrorized by whatever or whoever and somewhere mid-movie, they as a group decide they are not going to take it anymore and confront the threat with superior deadly force....

Outdoorsman1

Malcolm

For the list of films there

Phantasm
Evil Dead
Leprachaun
ETC.

I've seen em all. The point I was kind of getting at is that a lot of horror films portray people as one step above stupid. (That could be a realistic portrayal?) I always thought critters was pretty good. They didn't waste too much time figuring out the little fur balls were gunning for em. Horror movies wouldn't be horror movies without people running around sceaming for help and dying all time. That fact doesn't make them any easier to sit through. (most classics exempt)

Check out Let ME In. It's a vamp movie that came out a while back. very macabre. drag me to hell is another decent one on the new horror docket.

rscottie

Most of the movies just make me mad. I keep screaming for the next victim to get their gun and shoot the SOB but then of course they never have a gun. Or, even worse, they have a gun but go walking around holding it all wrong and moving real slow before letting someone slip up behind them and take them out without ever getting off a shot.

frommycolddeadhands

Every horror movie I've ever seen:

A group of teenagers are out partying somewhere, being young and dumb, and giving the director ample opportunity to show off a bunch of barely clad twenty-something actresses.

A serial killer/monster/demon shows up and kills someone.

Twenty minutes of trying to figure out what happened to the dead person.

Reset to step 1 and repeat sequence for 45 minutes or until 4-6 bodies have been stacked up.

Follow with 20 mins of stupid girls screaming and running upstairs each time met with predictable results.

Allow 1 girl and 1 guy to somehow survive, despite their own stupidity. Those two should now fall in love.

Have serial killer/monster/demon chase the lovely couple around town until either the 1 guy winds up dead, or seriously injured

Somehow the girl figures out a way to kill/banish/destroy the serial killer/monster/demon and finally does so. Then she utters a horrible witty remark or catchphrase

End with the boyfriend not really being dead, just carted away in an ambulance where he will recover from his serious injury

Jump five years in the future and replay for the next several sequels.

Daylen

Phantasm
Evil Dead
Leprachaun
ETC.

I've seen em all. The point I was kind of getting at is that a lot of horror films portray people as one step above stupid. (That could be a realistic portrayal?) I always thought critters was pretty good. They didn't waste too much time figuring out the little fur balls were gunning for em. Horror movies wouldn't be horror movies without people running around sceaming for help and dying all time. That fact doesn't make them any easier to sit through. (most classics exempt)

Check out Let ME In. It's a vamp movie that came out a while back. very macabre. drag me to hell is another decent one on the new horror docket.

A large number of the general category: movies, assumes idiocy and incompetence in the main characters; why would a sub-genre be any different?

Dreamer

I consider all horror movies of the "slasher" genre (and I include SAW an it's ilk in that category) to be repulsive glorifications of the sociopathic mentality. They are nothing more than predictive programming to convince the populace that they are helpless against true sociopaths, so that when they finally "take the gloves off" and the Ruling Class starts putting people on trains for the camps, people will already be familiar with the idea, and won't make too much fuss.

I refuse to put money in the pockets of those who would glorify the invincibility of the sociopathic mentality.

I'd rather watch movies like "V for Vendetta", or "The Patriot"...

OldCurlyWolf

To me the Horror/Slasher movies just show people who watch them how to be stupid. Makes me want to just slap the @#$@@# out of the so-called "victims" of the slasher.

:mad::mad::banghead::cuss:

Aknazer

Alien and Aliens were good ones, though I guess they would be more in the suspense catagory and Aliens is a bit action as well. But seriously, it's crazy when you have xenomorphs crawling through the ceiling man!

Daylen

Alien and Aliens were good ones, though I guess they would be more in the suspense catagory and Aliens is a bit action as well. But seriously, it's crazy when you have xenomorphs crawling through the ceiling man!

Alien is straight up old school Horror. Aliens, not so much, it had Cameron directing it.

Aknazer

Alien is straight up old school Horror. Aliens, not so much, it had Cameron directing it.

Yea I always considered aliens and alien resurrection to be more action oriented with alien and alien 3 being more survival/horror. But after the first one you kinda knew what to expect. We won't talk about the AvP movies...

Badger Johnson

I frequently used horror movies to keep me pumped up to keep working out and training. We tend to get too complacent and forget that when we are just lying about some person is out there training (and some maybe training to do us some harm).

Good stuff.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wish I could remember where I read it, but there was a report that said that folks who get their computers infected with virii or their passwords hacked are several times more likely to be mugged/robbed in real life than folks who keep their antivirus/spyware defenses solid and up to date. It is related to the general sense of awareness of what is happening around you - what we call situational awareness.

Which is why horror movies do not showcase gunnies as the star characters. Heck, even Tremors showed how Burt let his defenses down - but at least he managed to recover long enough to be rescued.:shocker:

OTOH, many of the crime/mystery genre movies feature aware folks who either thwart the evil villian without needing Chuck Norris and the entire Delta Force showing up, or avoid the entire complex evil plan laid out to capture them. A few of those movies have stars who do not own/use super-weapons or posses ultra-uber ninja kung fu skills.

Most folks call both types of movies entertainment. Some call them training films - with popcorn.

stay safe.

Daylen

Yea I always considered aliens and alien resurrection to be more action oriented with alien and alien 3 being more survival/horror. But after the first one you kinda knew what to expect. We won't talk about the AvP movies...

There is no 4th movie. It is a trilogy, no more, no less. Ripley dies never to return after Alien 3.

Daylen

Wish I could remember where I read it, but there was a report that said that folks who get their computers infected with virii or their passwords hacked are several times more likely to be mugged/robbed in real life than folks who keep their antivirus/spyware defenses solid and up to date. It is related to the general sense of awareness of what is happening around you - what we call situational awareness.

I haven't had virus protection software in years; I have not had a virus on my computer for years. The trick is to have an operating system that is not compatible with anything compiled on an operating system that is in widespread use.

Which is why horror movies do not showcase gunnies as the star characters. Heck, even Tremors showed how Burt let his defenses down - but at least he managed to recover long enough to be rescued.:shocker:
do not showcase gunnies? in the same paragraph with Burt!? or are you implying all Gunnery Sergeants would reduce the plot of any Horror movie to 10 minutes? If so, well fine go play in your corner, I'm not getting in that argument. I will leave you with a movie for thought:
The Thing - main character was originally a "man of Bronze", or in other words Doc Savage under a different name.
OTOH, many of the crime/mystery genre movies feature aware folks who either thwart the evil villian without needing Chuck Norris and the entire Delta Force showing up, or avoid the entire complex evil plan laid out to capture them. A few of those movies have stars who do not own/use super-weapons or posses ultra-uber ninja kung fu skills.

Most folks call both types of movies entertainment. Some call them training films - with popcorn.

stay safe.

For the Horror movies that don't require Chuck Norris, try out some H.P. Lovecraft adapted movies. The main character is usually a boring scholar, accountant, or some such. And they are usually not in the slasher type where one wants to kill the main character.

The Unnamable - the main character is hardly seen through the movie and is a scholar, who reads a book while the other characters run for their lives and die.

okboomer

What I have learned from horror/slasher movies:

Always look UP
Always look behind the door
Always pick up the discarded weapon
Never open the door
Don't go downstairs without a shotgun
Don't go near windows