Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: AL - PA reciprocity

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771

    AL - PA reciprocity

    Reading thru AL 's code for something else I found their recip section:


    Section 13A-11-85
    Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

    (a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

    (b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the requirements of subsection (a).
    Since PA will recognize anybody that recognizes ours, and it seems AL is exactly the same...unless I'm reading it wrong...why doesn't PA have recip with AL?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Reading thru AL 's code for something else I found their recip section:




    Since PA will recognize anybody that recognizes ours, and it seems AL is exactly the same...unless I'm reading it wrong...why doesn't PA have recip with AL?
    Probably because someone is a *******. I'll call my Attorney General if you'll call yours.
    Last edited by Daylen; 08-26-2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Laceys Spring, AL
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Reading thru AL 's code for something else I found their recip section:




    Since PA will recognize anybody that recognizes ours, and it seems AL is exactly the same...unless I'm reading it wrong...why doesn't PA have recip with AL?
    Pennsylvania doesn't reciprocate Alabama though. I'm guessing because AL does not make you go to a "safety class," to get a gun permit, whereas PA does, which is why they reciprocate TN and not AL. My wife's from PA, which is why I like my TN permit so much. I'm hoping my job will cover me there though (as a DoA police officer).

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by CBLW View Post
    Pennsylvania doesn't reciprocate Alabama though. I'm guessing because AL does not make you go to a "safety class," to get a gun permit, whereas PA does, which is why they reciprocate TN and not AL. My wife's from PA, which is why I like my TN permit so much. I'm hoping my job will cover me there though (as a DoA police officer).
    safety course?! what a bunch of poogas. I like my AL permit. The only way it would be better is if it wasn't needed to CC or for vehicle carry in AL.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Laceys Spring, AL
    Posts
    11

    ___

    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    safety course?! what a bunch of poogas. I like my AL permit. The only way it would be better is if it wasn't needed to CC or for vehicle carry in AL.
    Yeah, it sucks I know. But IF I have to choose between a (one-time) safety class and being reciprocated by more states VS no class and being reciprocated by less states, I'd choose the first one. I can see the arguments on both sides on that one, as I've seen a couple of people use firearms that did not make it through my academy (due to being unable to qualify or use situational awareness with holding a loaded firearm). People that were unfortunately not raised properly by their parents lol, cause that's something most in a nuclear family learn at a young age...

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    Probably because someone is a *******. I'll call my Attorney General if you'll call yours.
    I sent mine an email.

    Quote Originally Posted by CBLW View Post
    Pennsylvania doesn't reciprocate Alabama though. I'm guessing because AL does not make you go to a "safety class," to get a gun permit, whereas PA does, which is why they reciprocate TN and not AL. My wife's from PA, which is why I like my TN permit so much. I'm hoping my job will cover me there though (as a DoA police officer).
    PA has no such requirement.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by CBLW View Post
    Yeah, it sucks I know. But IF I have to choose between a (one-time) safety class and being reciprocated by more states VS no class and being reciprocated by less states, I'd choose the first one...
    You do realize that your preference infringes on the ability of others to obtain a license?

    No mandatory classes!!!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I sent mine an email.



    PA has no such requirement.
    As have I, and its good to hear of the lack of that requirement. If Louisiana has reciprocity with you guys, then we should be able to have it easily.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Laceys Spring, AL
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I sent mine an email.



    PA has no such requirement.
    I thought they did, I know I've read about other states not reciprocating others because of the differing requirements (one of them being a safety class.) But I just double checked and I guess not. I can not think of any reason why they would not reciprocate then. Cause their process seems just about the same as Alabama's (except PA is a SHALL ISSUE state.) So i guess just a simple failure of bureaucracy and the two states not having a reciprocation agreement with the state of Alabama.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Laceys Spring, AL
    Posts
    11

    Reply to Eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    You do realize that your preference infringes on the ability of others to obtain a license?

    No mandatory classes!!!
    I'm a man of principle and at the root I disagree with any classes.

    BUT as I previously stated, there were guys who attended my academy and did not make the cut, because they could not safely handle firearms, pointed loaded firearms with finger on the trigger at other officers on the range. After that experience I became a bit more understanding of the safety course requirement. I've had similar experiences before during my time in the Marine Corps with people who had not handled guns before or were just plain not-so-bright people. People have to pass a (brief) course to obtain a drivers license, so I can understand that for CCW permits, at least for carrying concealed anyways. Cause when someone bumbles around with a gun and directly puts my life (or others at risk) they are violating that persons right to life.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    People should not handle firearms as you describe. Neither should they rob gas stations. Yet, strangely, we never teach classes in not robbing gas stations.

    The point is that government's proper role is only to hold people responsible for their behavior that violates the law, rather than to train them how to follow it. Most States already have laws against pointing loaded firearms at others. That is sufficient for government to fulfill its role.

    No classes. To require them before one is allowed to carry is an infringement on the RKBA.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alabama, USA, ,
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    No classes. To require them before one is allowed to carry is an infringement on the RKBA.
    Not sure classes are the problem. I have had a PA permit for over 10 years. Simply filled out the paperwork and sent
    a copy of my AL permit. May be some other reason.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Laceys Spring, AL
    Posts
    11

    Agreed...

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    People should not handle firearms as you describe. Neither should they rob gas stations. Yet, strangely, we never teach classes in not robbing gas stations.

    The point is that government's proper role is only to hold people responsible for their behavior that violates the law, rather than to train them how to follow it. Most States already have laws against pointing loaded firearms at others. That is sufficient for government to fulfill its role.

    No classes. To require them before one is allowed to carry is an infringement on the RKBA.

    Yeah, I agree with you there. But then you have to apply that logic to obtaining a drivers license as well and driving (as you have a right to travel freely). Then again, I guess if you didn't have that precedent set already people wouldn't be used to the concept either and would realize they are responsible for their actions.... Sorry it took me a while to reply...was on vacation. I guess I just don't stress it as much considering there are constant attempts by treasonous politicians to restrict people from carrying period. And for example the current imposing restrictions on where you can carry firearms; for example: getting patted down just to go into an NFL game and not being allowed to carry a pistol into a football game (as a law abiding citizen.) Especially seeing how crazy some fanatics can get, when you just want to sit and calmly enjoy a football game.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    771
    I still haven't heard back from the PA AG. I think they may have blocked my email address earlier this year cuz I was bugging them about adding IA to our recognition list.

    Maybe I'll try again with a different email.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by CBLW View Post
    Yeah, I agree with you there. But then you have to apply that logic to obtaining a drivers license as well and driving (as you have a right to travel freely). Then again, I guess if you didn't have that precedent set already people wouldn't be used to the concept either and would realize they are responsible for their actions.... Sorry it took me a while to reply...was on vacation. I guess I just don't stress it as much considering there are constant attempts by treasonous politicians to restrict people from carrying period. And for example the current imposing restrictions on where you can carry firearms; for example: getting patted down just to go into an NFL game and not being allowed to carry a pistol into a football game (as a law abiding citizen.) Especially seeing how crazy some fanatics can get, when you just want to sit and calmly enjoy a football game.
    There is no constitutionally protected right to own and operate a motor vehicle. However lets not drag more rights into the realm of government regulation, that is how they are lost. Also, lets not try to eliminate government regulation of everything all at once; such would be a plan to fail.
    Don't believe any facts that I say! This is the internet and it is filled with lies and untruth. I invite you to look up for yourself the basic facts that my arguments might be based upon. This way we can have a discussion where logic and hints on where to find information are what is brought to the forum and people look up and verify facts for themselves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •