• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AL - PA reciprocity

mrjam2jab

Reading thru AL 's code for something else I found their recip section:

Section 13A-11-85
Reciprocity for licenses issued in other states.

(a) A person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of the State of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state. This section shall apply to a licenseholder from another state only while the licenseholder is not a resident of this state. A licenseholder from another state shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

(b) The Attorney General shall periodically publish a list of states which meet the requirements of subsection (a).

Since PA will recognize anybody that recognizes ours, and it seems AL is exactly the same...unless I'm reading it wrong...why doesn't PA have recip with AL?

Daylen

Since PA will recognize anybody that recognizes ours, and it seems AL is exactly the same...unless I'm reading it wrong...why doesn't PA have recip with AL?

Probably because someone is a jackass. I'll call my Attorney General if you'll call yours.

Last edited:

CBLW

Pennsylvania doesn't reciprocate Alabama though. I'm guessing because AL does not make you go to a "safety class," to get a gun permit, whereas PA does, which is why they reciprocate TN and not AL. My wife's from PA, which is why I like my TN permit so much. I'm hoping my job will cover me there though (as a DoA police officer).

Daylen

Pennsylvania doesn't reciprocate Alabama though. I'm guessing because AL does not make you go to a "safety class," to get a gun permit, whereas PA does, which is why they reciprocate TN and not AL. My wife's from PA, which is why I like my TN permit so much. I'm hoping my job will cover me there though (as a DoA police officer).

safety course?! what a bunch of poogas. I like my AL permit. The only way it would be better is if it wasn't needed to CC or for vehicle carry in AL.

CBLW

___

safety course?! what a bunch of poogas. I like my AL permit. The only way it would be better is if it wasn't needed to CC or for vehicle carry in AL.

Yeah, it sucks I know. But IF I have to choose between a (one-time) safety class and being reciprocated by more states VS no class and being reciprocated by less states, I'd choose the first one. I can see the arguments on both sides on that one, as I've seen a couple of people use firearms that did not make it through my academy (due to being unable to qualify or use situational awareness with holding a loaded firearm). People that were unfortunately not raised properly by their parents lol, cause that's something most in a nuclear family learn at a young age...

mrjam2jab

Probably because someone is a jackass. I'll call my Attorney General if you'll call yours.

I sent mine an email.

PA has no such requirement.

eye95

Yeah, it sucks I know. But IF I have to choose between a (one-time) safety class and being reciprocated by more states VS no class and being reciprocated by less states, I'd choose the first one...

You do realize that your preference infringes on the ability of others to obtain a license?

No mandatory classes!!!

CBLW

I sent mine an email.

PA has no such requirement.

I thought they did, I know I've read about other states not reciprocating others because of the differing requirements (one of them being a safety class.) But I just double checked and I guess not. I can not think of any reason why they would not reciprocate then. Cause their process seems just about the same as Alabama's (except PA is a SHALL ISSUE state.) So i guess just a simple failure of bureaucracy and the two states not having a reciprocation agreement with the state of Alabama.

CBLW

Reply to Eyes

You do realize that your preference infringes on the ability of others to obtain a license?

No mandatory classes!!!

I'm a man of principle and at the root I disagree with any classes.

BUT as I previously stated, there were guys who attended my academy and did not make the cut, because they could not safely handle firearms, pointed loaded firearms with finger on the trigger at other officers on the range. After that experience I became a bit more understanding of the safety course requirement. I've had similar experiences before during my time in the Marine Corps with people who had not handled guns before or were just plain not-so-bright people. People have to pass a (brief) course to obtain a drivers license, so I can understand that for CCW permits, at least for carrying concealed anyways. Cause when someone bumbles around with a gun and directly puts my life (or others at risk) they are violating that persons right to life.

eye95

People should not handle firearms as you describe. Neither should they rob gas stations. Yet, strangely, we never teach classes in not robbing gas stations.

The point is that government's proper role is only to hold people responsible for their behavior that violates the law, rather than to train them how to follow it. Most States already have laws against pointing loaded firearms at others. That is sufficient for government to fulfill its role.

No classes. To require them before one is allowed to carry is an infringement on the RKBA.

Mr_D

No classes. To require them before one is allowed to carry is an infringement on the RKBA.

Not sure classes are the problem. I have had a PA permit for over 10 years. Simply filled out the paperwork and sent
a copy of my AL permit. May be some other reason.

CBLW

Agreed...

People should not handle firearms as you describe. Neither should they rob gas stations. Yet, strangely, we never teach classes in not robbing gas stations.

The point is that government's proper role is only to hold people responsible for their behavior that violates the law, rather than to train them how to follow it. Most States already have laws against pointing loaded firearms at others. That is sufficient for government to fulfill its role.

Yeah, I agree with you there. But then you have to apply that logic to obtaining a drivers license as well and driving (as you have a right to travel freely). Then again, I guess if you didn't have that precedent set already people wouldn't be used to the concept either and would realize they are responsible for their actions.... Sorry it took me a while to reply...was on vacation. I guess I just don't stress it as much considering there are constant attempts by treasonous politicians to restrict people from carrying period. And for example the current imposing restrictions on where you can carry firearms; for example: getting patted down just to go into an NFL game and not being allowed to carry a pistol into a football game (as a law abiding citizen.) Especially seeing how crazy some fanatics can get, when you just want to sit and calmly enjoy a football game.

mrjam2jab

I still haven't heard back from the PA AG. I think they may have blocked my email address earlier this year cuz I was bugging them about adding IA to our recognition list.

Maybe I'll try again with a different email. :)

Daylen

Yeah, I agree with you there. But then you have to apply that logic to obtaining a drivers license as well and driving (as you have a right to travel freely). Then again, I guess if you didn't have that precedent set already people wouldn't be used to the concept either and would realize they are responsible for their actions.... Sorry it took me a while to reply...was on vacation. I guess I just don't stress it as much considering there are constant attempts by treasonous politicians to restrict people from carrying period. And for example the current imposing restrictions on where you can carry firearms; for example: getting patted down just to go into an NFL game and not being allowed to carry a pistol into a football game (as a law abiding citizen.) Especially seeing how crazy some fanatics can get, when you just want to sit and calmly enjoy a football game.

There is no constitutionally protected right to own and operate a motor vehicle. However lets not drag more rights into the realm of government regulation, that is how they are lost. Also, lets not try to eliminate government regulation of everything all at once; such would be a plan to fail.