Thread: CU or bank in NoVA that does not ban carry?

CU or bank in NoVA that does not ban carry?

Looking for a specifically 2A-friendly financial institution, preferably with branches in or near Reston and Chantilly.
    Virginians - Have you joined http://www.vcdl.org/ ?

Without commentary on whether they are a decent bank or not, I can tell you that I have routinely open carried in Bank of America, and just this past week OC'd in Wells Fargo.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Without commentary on whether they are a decent bank or not, I can tell you that I have routinely open carried in Bank of America, and just this past week OC'd in Wells Fargo.
    I won't use El Banco del Norte Americano.

Frankly, I'd rather deal with NFCUs silly policies than embark upon that nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by jnojr View Post

Frankly, I'd rather deal with NFCUs silly policies than embark upon that nightmare.
    There are a number of threads where people have commented on banks and credit unions. I don't know if the search function works. Wachovia has transitioned to Wells Fargo and I OCd in my bank last week without a comment being made.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

I have OCed at multiple Capitol One and Suntrust banks without incident.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Sun Trust and PNC have not given me any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Funny... I think everyone has at least one reason to not like their bank. OC rules aside, it's hard to "recommend" any of them.

The only bank I've never heard a complaint about is USAA. I really need to get my dad to set up an account there, so I can qualify as well.

TFred

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    I OC in my BofA branch on Duke Street (east of Landmark Mall) with no problems.

I've never had a problem at Virginia Commerce Bank in Reston (though I've not yet OC'd at other branches). Of course, they know me by name now.

I've been a PNC customer for a few years now. Always carry in there, never had even the slightest negative reaction. And they're open on Sunday!

VCDL and Hometown Bank

I will admit that I don't know if Hometown is in NOVA or not. I recommend signing up for the email alerts and joing VCDL at vcdl.org.

Excerpted ...

22. Looking for a pro-gun bank? VCDL Welcomes Hometown Bank into the fold!

Initially after the Virginia Tech massacre, Hometown Bank, in what was simply a gut-reaction, banned guns.

VCDL member John Wilburn liked the bank and in email exchanges back and forth with Alwyn Harper, a branch manager, got the bank to reconsider their policy using logic and reason instead of emotion.

To their credit, Hometown realized that their "no guns" policy did not make their bank any safer and rescinded the policy. VCDL is glad to see Hometown added to the list of banks that respect the right of their customers to be able to protect themselves from violent crime.

For more information on Hometown, click here:

https://www.hometownbankva.com/
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I will admit that I don't know if Hometown is in NOVA or not. I recommend signing up for the email alerts and joing VCDL at vcdl.org.
    Done a long time ago...

To their credit, Hometown realized that their "no guns" policy did not make their bank any safer and rescinded the policy. VCDL is glad to see Hometown added to the list of banks that respect the right of their customers to be able to protect themselves from violent crime.
    That is a list I have never seen. I just tried searching and could not find it. Anyone have a link?

I'm actually more tempted towards this Hometown Bank... an institution that just doesn't have signs might not have thought of it, and might put them up tomorrow. These folks had one but realized it made no sense... it would take a wholesale change in management to get signs put back up there.

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post

For more information on Hometown, click here:

https://www.hometownbankva.com/
    They're in Roanoke.

I emailed them, thanking them for changing their policy and telling them that, if I was in that area, they'd be at the top of my list.

Well, as I said, I wasn't commenting on their business practices, other than the fact that there's no issue with OC. Choice to do business with whomever you chose is a wonderful thing, no?

+1 for Suntrust. Always excellent experiences with my branch managers.

Apple FCU says:

Apple FCU recognizes the Code of Virginia and the Laws of Virginia as they pertain to concealed weapons and weapons carried open and in plain view. Additionally, Apple FCU also recognizes the Second Amendment and Federal Laws as well as local laws and ordinances.
    Fairfax County FCU says:

The credit union does not currently have a policy related to firearms in a branch as long as you have the appropriate permits. However, please understand that due to the security concerns of a financial institution, the staff has been instructed to notify police of any suspicious, intimidating or threatening behavior of anyone in our branches.
    Last edited by jnojr; 08-29-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Virginia Credit Union says:

I was made aware that you had a question on the possession and carrying of firearms on Virginia Credit Union properties. With the exception of Law Enforcement Personnel, we strongly discourage anyone from having firearms in or on any of our properties. Firearms can increase the safety risk to our members and employees.
    I asked if they "strongly discouraged" or prohibited carry. His response was that he "didn't want to get into a debate about it". Posted or no, VACU is not our friend.

If you only knew what you've done....

Virginia Credit Union says:

I asked if they "strongly discouraged" or prohibited carry. His response was that he "didn't want to get into a debate about it". Posted or no, VACU is not our friend.

Virginia Citizens Defense League has always strongly recommended that we do not go around emailing people asking if they ban guns. The result is almost never good. For understandable, common-sense reasons, you will often get the safest possible "cya" response. In this case, VACU's policy is clear - lawfully carried firearms are permitted - so the person who responded was boxed in a corner and could only write that it was "strongly discouraged" (because that is HIS opinion).

Here are the facts: Virginia Credit Union does not ban legally possesed firearms by its members. Virginia Credit Union is not posted. Several members on this board have reported their various (and recent) trips while open carrying at different local branches. They never have any problems.

Here's what your email accomplished: it went to someone who usually deals with account issues who forwarded it to someone in the security department who maybe wishes firearms were banned in branches but who lost that battle already a few years ago. Unfortunately, your emails are now a topic at an upcoming meeting as an example of why firearms should be banned at all branches.

PLEASE NEVER EMAIL OR ASK A NON-POSTED COMPANY IF THEY BAN GUNS! A company is posted or not. The original reply you got was clear enough - the person replying strongly discourages you, but would have told you firearms are banned if that was the case.
    Last edited by SicSemperTyrannis; 08-30-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SicSemperTyrannis View Post
    Virginia Citizens Defense League has always strongly recommended that we do not go around emailing people asking if they ban guns. The result is almost never good.
    Look up two posts

I'm looking for a new credit union, and not one that I just don't notice signs until it's too late, or one where they put signs up after I move. I had a specific reason to contact a few institutions and ask them about their policies, and wanted to share the results. Anyone who thinks that's "wrong" was perfectly free to do the research however they thought was "right" and get the results back to me.

It doesn't make sense to me to be afraid to ask. Asking isn't going to make them anti. If they're anti, they're anti, and I want to know so I don't do business with them. I don't see much point in trying to pretend that they aren't anti.

If someone has a better way to find out what a given businesses policies are, please post, and I'll be more than happy to use it. Short of that, I don't see what I can do other than to just ask.

Look up two posts

I'm looking for a new credit union, and not one that I just don't notice signs until it's too late, or one where they put signs up after I move. I had a specific reason to contact a few institutions and ask them about their policies, and wanted to share the results. Anyone who thinks that's "wrong" was perfectly free to do the research however they thought was "right" and get the results back to me.

It doesn't make sense to me to be afraid to ask. Asking isn't going to make them anti. If they're anti, they're anti, and I want to know so I don't do business with them. I don't see much point in trying to pretend that they aren't anti.

If someone has a better way to find out what a given businesses policies are, please post, and I'll be more than happy to use it. Short of that, I don't see what I can do other than to just ask.
    I understand where you are coming from, but I think a may have a better idea. Find one of the threads on this very topic - and read the responses. You'll find several long-time members posting about open-carrying in VACU branches with no issues at all (Proshooter, richardson, etc). That's better research than emailing. You got the safest CYA response possible - which was also accurate as it was clear that firearms aren't banned (no security manager would ever write that something is "strongly discouraged" if it was in fact banned).
    Last edited by SicSemperTyrannis; 08-30-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Maybe we could start a bank or CU that "strongly encourages" its employees and customers to carry. Could bill it as the bank that never gets robbed... where the customers are 'safe'... put your money in our bank and it stays here...

All while the tellers are packing nice looking semi-autos, and the old-geezer manager could be packing a 44 mag or other revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by SicSemperTyrannis View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but I think a may have a better idea. Find one of the threads on this very topic - and read the responses. You'll find several long-time members posting about open-carrying in VACU branches with no issues at all (Proshooter, richardson, etc). That's better research than emailing. You got the safest CYA response possible - which was also accurate as it was clear that firearms aren't banned (no security manager would ever write that something is "strongly discouraged" if it was in fact banned).
    I understand what you're saying, but "I didn't have a problem there" doesn't mean you won't tomorrow when someone else is on duty. I've identified a CU with very strong support for our rights... don't you think it's better that we know that, and that info gets promulgated, and that people go directly to them, as opposed to signing up wherever because someone else "didn't have a problem"? Why should we be supporting VACU when they're clearly anti, and could put up signs at any time, as soon as they decide they want to do that?