• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CU or bank in NoVA that does not ban carry?

jnojr

Looking for a specifically 2A-friendly financial institution, preferably with branches in or near Reston and Chantilly.

zoom6zoom

Without commentary on whether they are a decent bank or not, I can tell you that I have routinely open carried in Bank of America, and just this past week OC'd in Wells Fargo.

jnojr

Without commentary on whether they are a decent bank or not, I can tell you that I have routinely open carried in Bank of America, and just this past week OC'd in Wells Fargo.

I won't use El Banco del Norte Americano.

Frankly, I'd rather deal with NFCUs silly policies than embark upon that nightmare.

nuc65

Activist Member

Frankly, I'd rather deal with NFCUs silly policies than embark upon that nightmare.

There are a number of threads where people have commented on banks and credit unions. I don't know if the search function works. Wachovia has transitioned to Wells Fargo and I OCd in my bank last week without a comment being made.

TFred

Funny... I think everyone has at least one reason to not like their bank. OC rules aside, it's hard to "recommend" any of them.

The only bank I've never heard a complaint about is USAA. I really need to get my dad to set up an account there, so I can qualify as well.

TFred

Riana

I've never had a problem at Virginia Commerce Bank in Reston (though I've not yet OC'd at other branches). Of course, they know me by name now.

nuc65

Activist Member
VCDL and Hometown Bank

I will admit that I don't know if Hometown is in NOVA or not. I recommend signing up for the email alerts and joing VCDL at vcdl.org.

Excerpted ...

22. Looking for a pro-gun bank? VCDL Welcomes Hometown Bank into the fold!

Initially after the Virginia Tech massacre, Hometown Bank, in what was simply a gut-reaction, banned guns.

VCDL member John Wilburn liked the bank and in email exchanges back and forth with Alwyn Harper, a branch manager, got the bank to reconsider their policy using logic and reason instead of emotion.

To their credit, Hometown realized that their "no guns" policy did not make their bank any safer and rescinded the policy. VCDL is glad to see Hometown added to the list of banks that respect the right of their customers to be able to protect themselves from violent crime.

For more information on Hometown, click here:

https://www.hometownbankva.com/

jnojr

I will admit that I don't know if Hometown is in NOVA or not. I recommend signing up for the email alerts and joing VCDL at vcdl.org.

Done a long time ago...

To their credit, Hometown realized that their "no guns" policy did not make their bank any safer and rescinded the policy. VCDL is glad to see Hometown added to the list of banks that respect the right of their customers to be able to protect themselves from violent crime.

That is a list I have never seen. I just tried searching and could not find it. Anyone have a link?

I'm actually more tempted towards this Hometown Bank... an institution that just doesn't have signs might not have thought of it, and might put them up tomorrow. These folks had one but realized it made no sense... it would take a wholesale change in management to get signs put back up there.

zoom6zoom

Well, as I said, I wasn't commenting on their business practices, other than the fact that there's no issue with OC. Choice to do business with whomever you chose is a wonderful thing, no?

jnojr

Apple FCU says:

Apple FCU recognizes the Code of Virginia and the Laws of Virginia as they pertain to concealed weapons and weapons carried open and in plain view. Additionally, Apple FCU also recognizes the Second Amendment and Federal Laws as well as local laws and ordinances.

Fairfax County FCU says:

The credit union does not currently have a policy related to firearms in a branch as long as you have the appropriate permits. However, please understand that due to the security concerns of a financial institution, the staff has been instructed to notify police of any suspicious, intimidating or threatening behavior of anyone in our branches.

Last edited:

jnojr

Virginia Credit Union says:

I was made aware that you had a question on the possession and carrying of firearms on Virginia Credit Union properties. With the exception of Law Enforcement Personnel, we strongly discourage anyone from having firearms in or on any of our properties. Firearms can increase the safety risk to our members and employees.

I asked if they "strongly discouraged" or prohibited carry. His response was that he "didn't want to get into a debate about it". Posted or no, VACU is not our friend.

SicSemperTyrannis

If you only knew what you've done....

Virginia Credit Union says:

I asked if they "strongly discouraged" or prohibited carry. His response was that he "didn't want to get into a debate about it". Posted or no, VACU is not our friend.

Virginia Citizens Defense League has always strongly recommended that we do not go around emailing people asking if they ban guns. The result is almost never good. For understandable, common-sense reasons, you will often get the safest possible "cya" response. In this case, VACU's policy is clear - lawfully carried firearms are permitted - so the person who responded was boxed in a corner and could only write that it was "strongly discouraged" (because that is HIS opinion).

Here are the facts: Virginia Credit Union does not ban legally possesed firearms by its members. Virginia Credit Union is not posted. Several members on this board have reported their various (and recent) trips while open carrying at different local branches. They never have any problems.

Here's what your email accomplished: it went to someone who usually deals with account issues who forwarded it to someone in the security department who maybe wishes firearms were banned in branches but who lost that battle already a few years ago. Unfortunately, your emails are now a topic at an upcoming meeting as an example of why firearms should be banned at all branches.

PLEASE NEVER EMAIL OR ASK A NON-POSTED COMPANY IF THEY BAN GUNS! A company is posted or not. The original reply you got was clear enough - the person replying strongly discourages you, but would have told you firearms are banned if that was the case.

Last edited:

jnojr

Virginia Citizens Defense League has always strongly recommended that we do not go around emailing people asking if they ban guns. The result is almost never good.

Look up two posts ;)

I'm looking for a new credit union, and not one that I just don't notice signs until it's too late, or one where they put signs up after I move. I had a specific reason to contact a few institutions and ask them about their policies, and wanted to share the results. Anyone who thinks that's "wrong" was perfectly free to do the research however they thought was "right" and get the results back to me.

It doesn't make sense to me to be afraid to ask. Asking isn't going to make them anti. If they're anti, they're anti, and I want to know so I don't do business with them. I don't see much point in trying to pretend that they aren't anti.

If someone has a better way to find out what a given businesses policies are, please post, and I'll be more than happy to use it. Short of that, I don't see what I can do other than to just ask.

SicSemperTyrannis

Look up two posts ;)

I'm looking for a new credit union, and not one that I just don't notice signs until it's too late, or one where they put signs up after I move. I had a specific reason to contact a few institutions and ask them about their policies, and wanted to share the results. Anyone who thinks that's "wrong" was perfectly free to do the research however they thought was "right" and get the results back to me.

It doesn't make sense to me to be afraid to ask. Asking isn't going to make them anti. If they're anti, they're anti, and I want to know so I don't do business with them. I don't see much point in trying to pretend that they aren't anti.

If someone has a better way to find out what a given businesses policies are, please post, and I'll be more than happy to use it. Short of that, I don't see what I can do other than to just ask.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think a may have a better idea. Find one of the threads on this very topic - and read the responses. You'll find several long-time members posting about open-carrying in VACU branches with no issues at all (Proshooter, richardson, etc). That's better research than emailing. You got the safest CYA response possible - which was also accurate as it was clear that firearms aren't banned (no security manager would ever write that something is "strongly discouraged" if it was in fact banned).

Last edited: