• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Open Carry Experiences

bttm

I have concealed carry for a few years both here in Georgia and Oregon. I've only recently ventured into the open carry arena. My first experience was very positive. I went to get gas and decided to open carry. The gas attendant and others getting gas were very supportive...surprisingly supportive. This experience gave me courage to try again and venture further from the comfort of home. My next experience was at Walmart in Covington. Not as positive but wasn't a bad experience. I walked around the store and stopped in the electronics section. Was there for a bit when I noticed the store security hovering around the area. It seemed like about 5 to 10 minutes before he decided to come and ask me if I was a police officer. I replied 'No, Sir.' and he said have a good day and left. Other than a crazy look from the cashier when I was checking out, it wasn't that bad. Why would he ask me that?

I was in the Walmart in Conyers Sunday morning and saw a gentleman with his family open carrying. I told him thank you for open carrying, cause it makes the rest of us more comfortable in doing it.

I will admit that although I haven't had any bad experiences with open carry. I stopped because it made my wife uncomfortable and me very self-conscious. Are there any open carry get-togethers planned in the Atlanta area that I can take my wife to so she and I can get more comfortable with the idea of open carry?

77zach

I have concealed carry for a few years both here in Georgia and Oregon. I've only recently ventured into the open carry arena. My first experience was very positive. I went to get gas and decided to open carry. The gas attendant and others getting gas were very supportive...surprisingly supportive. This experience gave me courage to try again and venture further from the comfort of home. My next experience was at Walmart in Covington. Not as positive but wasn't a bad experience. I walked around the store and stopped in the electronics section. Was there for a bit when I noticed the store security hovering around the area. It seemed like about 5 to 10 minutes before he decided to come and ask me if I was a police officer. I replied 'No, Sir.' and he said have a good day and left. Other than a crazy look from the cashier when I was checking out, it wasn't that bad. Why would he ask me that?

I was in the Walmart in Conyers Sunday morning and saw a gentleman with his family open carrying. I told him thank you for open carrying, cause it makes the rest of us more comfortable in doing it.

I will admit that although I haven't had any bad experiences with open carry. I stopped because it made my wife uncomfortable and me very self-conscious. Are there any open carry get-togethers planned in the Atlanta area that I can take my wife to so she and I can get more comfortable with the idea of open carry?

I think the more you do it, the more comfortable you will become. Remember that you feel uncomfortable because of a mass brainwashing decades in the making. And if others are uncomfortable, it's because they are brainwashed. By OCing, you are enhancing the safety of yourself and those around you and eroding the pro-tyranny propaganda that only the state can bear arms. The founding generation of this country thought that the people bearing arms was "necessary for the security of a free state" after all. I think they were right.

joshcaza

Great remarks 77zach. Live in Marietta and would love an open carry meetup. Maybe we can get something brewing for that?

Johnburns15

I live in Kentucky myself and haven't been to Georgia in quite a while.
But I would like to say that I open carry whenever I am out of the house, I will admit the first couple times I was kind of nervous about it, but in the state if Kentucky it is legal to open carry anywhere except in k-12 schools, or open carry loaded into a bar. After learning the laws it made things much easier an much more comfortable for me to open carry. I now know that I can go whereever I want. The worst that can be said to me in a store is for them to ask me to leave or place my firearm in my vehicle, but ive never had this issue.

I was told by a cashier at walmart I wasn't allowed to open carry but I explained to him I was and that if their store banned it I would no longer shop there. The cashiers manager came over to me and the cashier telling both of us that they did not ban firearms, educating the employee properly.