• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Lancaster

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hey all,

September 7-9 I will taking my wife to the Lancaster area to get away for a few days. I plan on OCing the entire time I am there. Are there any quirky laws I need to be aware of? How well does OC go in the Lancaster area? I have a Virginia CHP. Thanks.

Curmudgeon

Be aware of the federal 1000' Gun Free School Zone. Other than that... :shrug: Although I live next door in York County, I have never had an issue in Lancaster. I have heard tales of OC woe because of the Lancaster City PD, but I have never had a problem myself.

Out in the Lancaster County suburbs you really should be fine.

I have been OCing in the south central area of PA for over 2 1/2 years and have yet to have a negative encounter.

Incidently, traffic is light in this forum probably due to the heavy traffic at pafoa.org.

Enjoy your visit!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks, appreciate it!! Quick question: Does my Virginia CHP only exempt me from from the 1000' GFZ while in VA? Since PA honors VA's permit am I exempted there as well?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
So returned from my trip yesterday. OCed all over the Lancaster, Bird in Hand, and Paradise areas. Lots of flooding. Excellent food. Everyone was extremely friendly and no one seemed to care about my sidearm. No problems and no signs anywhere. I even managed to make it through MD without stopping.

jahwarrior

So returned from my trip yesterday. OCed all over the Lancaster, Bird in Hand, and Paradise areas. Lots of flooding. Excellent food. Everyone was extremely friendly and no one seemed to care about my sidearm. No problems and no signs anywhere. I even managed to make it through MD without stopping.

you picked a hell of a time to visit PA, with all the flood damage and whatnot. how badly was Lancaster affected? the local news hasn't really covered the rest of PA much, just the Northeastern corner. Luzerne County has been nearly destroyed, and other counties aren't doing much better. most of my friends had luck on their side, and avoided any damage.