• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Appearance

Keens

I'm just wondering what you guys think about appearance while OC? Are there less hassles (LEO, MWAG calls, uninformed citizens?) OC'ing while looking well groomed and dressed well? Reason I ask is because my normal day to day appearance is pretty ratty. I'm an auto tech, so it's hard staying clean lookin. Shave maybe once a week, don't comb my hair, wear sandals, t-shirt and shorts, you get it. I'm more comfortable dressing like this than slacks and nice shoes and shirt. I'll keep my post simple and hope to hear back!

Last edited:

mahkagari

I'm just wondering what you guys think about appearance while OC? Are there less hassles (LEO, MWAG calls, uninformed citizens?) OC'ing while looking well groomed and dressed well? Reason I ask is because my normal day to day appearance is pretty ratty. I'm an auto tech, so it's hard staying clean lookin. Shave maybe once a week, don't comb my hair, wear sandals, t-shirt and shorts, you get it. I'm more comfortable dressing like this than slacks and nice shoes and shirt. I'll keep my post simple and hope to hear back!

Page through the threads and those in the General forum as well. This topic comes up regularly and there are lots of opinions in them to consider.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Speaking for myself, I wear whatever I normally would. That being said, I've upscaled my attire somewhat when I am not bumming. Usually, however, I am found in a tee shirt and jeans with sneakers on my clod bustin' stompers.

Still, I'll wear a polo shirt and slacks quite often as well, with a pair of shoes that are a bit dressier than sneakers.

All in all, I believe it is a matter of personal preference.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Appearance matters to a lot of people whether you are OCing or not. It is sad that someone wearing a suit is better perceived than an auto mechanic. I wear what I would normally wear. Sometimes that's my yardwork clothes, sometimes a suit. I think it is more about the manner in which you conduct than what you wear.

Keens

Page through the threads and those in the General forum as well. This topic comes up regularly and there are lots of opinions in them to consider.

Thanks! I'll do that this weekend. It is time consuming for me right now as I only have an iPhone for Internet to dig that far into the forums.

rushcreek2

This is a topic that deserves further discussion whenever it is brought up.

PERSONNALY - I "dress for" OC. This usually translates into "Dockers", and a selection of those "free-breathing" golf/polo shirts.

That is my PERSONAL choice. Perhaps because I spent 21 years of my life wearing a uniform, and striving to present as "sharp" an image as I could. I did this because I realized that perception is at least 95 % of reality- in the eyes of those with whom you interact , or approach.

Obviously it depends upon the particular context of one's OC.

At the present political juncture - we OC'ers must " RE-market" our right to bear arms in public.

The "market" is accustomed to the LEO stereotype - thus the occassional peculiar glance, or inquirey regarding whether you are a LEO.

In my own OC experience - most folks perceive me as LE. That doesn't make me a very effective proponent for the right to bear arms, but it does expose the average citizen to the SIGHT of at least ONE MORE armed law-abiding citizen.

I have never been questioned, or detained by LE, or questioned by a store manager regarding my OC.

I will say this. There are going to be businesses that would rather we NOT OC on their property.

One is the Goodwill Store on Constitution & Powers in Colorado Springs. They have placed a "NO Display" sign at the entrance. Therefore, I CC when there.

This is why I say it is IMPORTANT how we present ourselves. We want the general public, business operators - to be at ease with our presence.

Beau

My normal attire is Jeans and a t-shirt. Sometimes I tuck my shirt in. Sometimes I will just tuck my shirt behind my pistol. If I am going someplace upscale, e.g. any restaurant nicer than Denny's I will wear a polo or a "nice" t-shirt.

GvdM

In reality I mostly side with Rushcreek2 on this, I tend to be in dockers, a button shirt and generally try to dress to the social norms of where I am. When I wear jeans and a t-shirt I am always clean and neat. The biggest thing is hygiene, I think, along with a good demeanor. The way you present and carry yourself goes a long way in winning the approval of others.

Motofixxer

Welcome aboard,
If you follow the link below in my Signature about New to OC, one of the first things is a guide to OC. You will find some some similar answers and useful info in there as well as lots of useful links in my New to OC thread.. I also linked the guide HERE

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I will say this. There are going to be businesses that would rather we NOT OC on their property.

One is the Goodwill Store on Constitution & Powers in Colorado Springs. They have placed a "NO Display" sign at the entrance. Therefore, I CC when there.

Goodwill across from Chapel Hills Mall put up their own sign this spring. It says "No open display of firearms." I have no problem CCing on those occasions where I determine CCing would be more appropriate, but I will not frequent a store where they choose to infringe upon my right to keep and bear arms.

This is why I say it is IMPORTANT how we present ourselves. We want the general public, business operators - to be at ease with our presence.

I agree wholeheartedly. If we dress as slobs, we'll be perceived as slobs with guns. If we dress professionally, we'll be perceives as armed professionals.

Mo

Banned
....perception is at least 95 % of reality- in the eyes of those with whom you interact , or approach.

Agree. Appearance matters a LOT.

If anything, a slobby appearance is hurting the impression of OC.

Yes, its your right to carry. The next step is to gain acceptance from the general public. Unkempt hair and beards, ratty clothes and a big flabby gut hanging out is going to be the cause of ridicule.

Keens

Goodwill across from Chapel Hills Mall put up their own sign this spring. It says "No open display of firearms." I have no problem CCing on those occasions where I determine CCing would be more appropriate, but I will not frequent a store where they choose to infringe upon my right to keep and bear arms.

I agree wholeheartedly. If we dress as slobs, we'll be perceived as slobs with guns. If we dress professionally, we'll be perceives as armed professionals.

I very much agree! I did my first "big city" OC yesterday (talk about that soon) and dressed well with nice pants and a golf shirt. Most people thought I was either LEO or just simply a LAC.

Keens

Agree. Appearance matters a LOT.

If anything, a slobby appearance is hurting the impression of OC.

Yes, its your right to carry. The next step is to gain acceptance from the general public. Unkempt hair and beards, ratty clothes and a big flabby gut hanging out is going to be the cause of ridicule.

I will save my ratty appearance for work where I can't carry anyways. Now, when I OC, I will look presentable. I'll actually shower, shave, comb my hair and wear nice clothes. Best to look like a professional armed citizen!

Mo

Banned
I will save my ratty appearance for work where I can't carry anyways. Now, when I OC, I will look presentable. I'll actually shower, shave, comb my hair and wear nice clothes. Best to look like a professional armed citizen!

Hey Keens,

I'm sorry, but I want you to know that what I said wasn't directed towards you personally. I didn't mean to sound like I was directing the word "ratty" towards your profession.

Just to clear things up on that regard. :)

I appreciate you execising your rights.

mahkagari

And if we dress as respectable everyday citizens.... ;)

wrightme

This is a topic that deserves further discussion whenever it is brought up.

PERSONNALY - I "dress for" OC. This usually translates into "Dockers", and a selection of those "free-breathing" golf/polo shirts.

That is my PERSONAL choice. Perhaps because I spent 21 years of my life wearing a uniform, and striving to present as "sharp" an image as I could. I did this because I realized that perception is at least 95 % of reality- in the eyes of those with whom you interact , or approach.

Obviously it depends upon the particular context of one's OC.

At the present political juncture - we OC'ers must " RE-market" our right to bear arms in public.
The "market" is accustomed to the LEO stereotype - thus the occassional peculiar glance, or inquirey regarding whether you are a LEO.

In my own OC experience - most folks perceive me as LE. That doesn't make me a very effective proponent for the right to bear arms, but it does expose the average citizen to the SIGHT of at least ONE MORE armed law-abiding citizen.

I have never been questioned, or detained by LE, or questioned by a store manager regarding my OC.

That says it.

"Normalizing" is a PR battle.

Keens

Hey Keens,

I'm sorry, but I want you to know that what I said wasn't directed towards you personally. I didn't mean to sound like I was directing the word "ratty" towards your profession.

Just to clear things up on that regard. :)

I appreciate you execising your rights.

Mo, its all cool. It didn't bother me at all. Some of us may have dirty jobs, like me, but at least I clean up and make myself presentable when I OC.

rushcreek2

The Second Amendment wouldn't be ratified by the original 13 Colonies if the vote were taken today.

The worst infringement is perpetrated by some of those 13 states.

Regarding the Goodwill stores - Perhaps the concern regarding customers displaying stems from their back-room "help" being largely acquired through the criminal justice system.

Gunslinger

Your age has a lot to do with it. I've been asked if I was a State Trooper in NH, OSI in CO and even a Federal Agent in VA. All while dressing conservatively, and CCing in gun stores! Go figure...as to OC, I wear what I wear, generally a T-shirt and shorts in the summer; long sleeved something and jeans in the cooler, but not yet coat, weather. Attitude has more to do with it than clothes, imo. A smile is still a good presentation.