• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Appearance

ooghost1oo

The accepted appearance for good PR with Open Carrying is:

- Shiny, expensive sneakers
- saggy, over-sized designer pants
- boxers visible from your waist to just below your ass
- a jersey or long expensive t-shirt encrusted in plastic diamonds over a picture of Tupac, tucked into the boxers
- an over-sized cap, with lots of metallic designs or logos, the more expensive the better

Just stick your firearm into the pants waistband, where-ever it won't fall out (far below your waist), and you're Open Carrying because the grip is showing.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Regarding the Goodwill stores - Perhaps the concern regarding customers displaying stems from their back-room "help" being largely acquired through the criminal justice system.

Could be, although the only one I've ever seen bat an eye about it was the store manager herself. Everyone else who worked in the store was cool as a cucumber during the 20+ times I OC'd there.

Your age has a lot to do with it. I've been asked if I was a State Trooper in NH, OSI in CO and even a Federal Agent in VA. All while dressing conservatively, and CCing in gun stores! Go figure...as to OC, I wear what I wear, generally a T-shirt and shorts in the summer; long sleeved something and jeans in the cooler, but not yet coat, weather. Attitude has more to do with it than clothes, imo. A smile is still a good presentation.

Excellent point, Gunslinger! How people carry themselves is more important than how or what they carry on their hip.

hermannr

I ditched the suit and tie stuff when I retired, I would say I look like a farmer now. Still no problem, but then I don't live near any city anymore either, :D.

Keens

I'm going to dress in a respectable manner when I'm armed. That way people perceive me as a respectable, honest, responsible LAC. Just some nice slacks and a decent shirt. But also smile and be courteous to those around me as I go about my day.

Kingfish

Yes, you may only OC if you look like a LEO. Keep your face shaved and your hair high and tight. Also, slacks or at least khakis are mandatory. Shirts must have at least 3 buttons and shoes can have no more than 3 eyelets and will be either brown or black and must match the holster. Holsters must be leather buffed to a shine as does the belt. No shorts or t-shirts of any kind. You cannot OC on the way to the parts or hardware store in the middle of a project, you must first shower and shave and change then you can change again once you get home.

Yeah, no thanks. I have a dress code at work and shed the "business casual" as soon as I walk in the door at home...Sometimes before.

For OC to be normalized some would have you think we must look like LEO. I whole heatedly disagree. Wear what you normally wear. A good belt is about as far as I would go in telling anyone how they should dress. I wear cargo shorts, t-shirt and hiking boots or sandals. A hoodie and shorts when the weather cools and cargo pants in winter. I have have ZERO issues OCing and that is in TN and Georgia where carrying of firearms is not as accepted as out west. Also had no issues when I have visited CO.

An OC dress code is 100% BS as far as I am concerned.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Yes, you may only OC if you look like a LEO. Keep your face shaved and your hair high and tight...

You totally missing the point, Kingfish.

For OC to be normalized some would have you think we must look like LEO.

Not at all, and that's why you're missing the point: For OC to be normalized, you should dress as do most upstanding citizens avoid dressing like a slob.

An OC dress code is 100% BS...

What dress code are you referring to, Kingfish? The one you pulled out of thin air and used for your lead-in? Doesn't exist, except in your imagination, including your errant perceptions about the point we're trying to make, which is there is no dress code.

There are simply two words to the wise:

If you dress like a slob, the message you convey to others is that "people who carry guns are slobs."
If you dress in broadly acceptable attire, the message you convey to others is that "people who carry guns are no different than anyone else."

You can dye your hair pink for all I care. In fact, it'll make things easier when I tell others, "we're just like everyone else. Except for that guy with pink hair..."

If you'd like a good example of what we mean by "appropriate attire," simply look at the wide varieties of clothing people are wearing in this video:

[video=youtube;mIjrv5DDs_I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIjrv5DDs_I&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Seems we have had this conversation before...I know I have. I am sorry that you cannot see that there are those that believe there is.

Nobody says there is a specific dress code. Attitude, how you carry yourself, being friendly and acting like a law abiding citizen, not whether you are wearing Evan Picone suits with a Rolex are what matter. I buy cheap jeans, cheap sneakers, decent t-shirts or long sleeves and wear a $6000 Rolex Submariner.

WalkingWolf

I laugh every time this comes up. This is a constitutional right people not a fashion contest. It shouldn't matter how one dress, or how often they bathe. When we take this attitude we are no better than the anti's who think they should decide what is best for the rest of us. Or the politicians who believe we must be babysitted because only they know what is in our best interest.

Honestly dress however you(general) want, the 2A makes no mention of clothing. It makes no mention of hair styles, or facial hair. For the record I dress very casual, have long hair and a long beard and never have been not once question by law enforcement while OCing. I find it kinda funny that the people getting hassled are dressing like cops. Yea I can see where that might PO a cop, just as much as a wannabe POs a biker.

There was a thread I'll have to look for it. Where the OP was going on about how trespassers at a pool mistook him for a cop. And he rolled with it taking names and asking for IDs. Many times I just cannot bring myself to commit on something so not intelligent.

Sorry for rant guys~~just use some of that old common sense that is in short supply these days.

wrightme

I laugh every time this comes up. This is a constitutional right people not a fashion contest. It shouldn't matter how one dress, or how often they bathe. When we take this attitude we are no better than the anti's who think they should decide what is best for the rest of us. Or the politicians who believe we must be babysitted because only they know what is in our best interest..
Yes and no.

It IS a Right. That part isn't in question here, and such does not 'require' any dress code.

Normalizing the Right is first and foremost a PR campaign. Where OC isn't "normalized," it IS beneficial to be aware of the image you present when in public. To further the PR campaign to normalize the Right to the level where NO ONE gets a MWAG call/encounter with LE, I would suggest to consider dressing for the campaign, as opposed to not dressing for the campaign.

Does that mean I advocate any dress code? Hell no.
Does that mean that I recognize that your appearance DOES affect how the public views you? Hell Yes!

WalkingWolf

The best thing that anybody can do to normalize anything is not make it abnormal. That said there is absolutely no way to normalize a fear, big period. It is wrong to act like the people that believe we should fall into categories, just wrong.

FYI as a former LEO I can tell that unless it is a big city LEO's pretty much know who is a LEO and who is not a LEO. Just the same as the hospital knows who is a doctor and who is not. IMO this is why so many LEO like OCers get hassled so much, and it does seem to be the trend, not the guy wearing jeans that looks like Joe Citizen.

Sorta reminds me of Daytona in Froggies during bike week. Some Yuppies with big cigars, brand new leather, and talking BS getting upset because they were being ignored, or teased. This works in about every occupation or activity. When a person pretends to be what they are not, even if they are not aware they are doing it, it brings unwanted or the wrong type of attention.

My advice is be who you are and not worry what others think. If I can OC for going 15 years with hair to my waist, and beard to my belly in jeans and an old stetson, and not get hassled and the clean cut guy does that should tell people something. Maybe more people should look like me...Nahhhhhhhhh I like being an original.

Keens

Yes and no.

It IS a Right. That part isn't in question here, and such does not 'require' any dress code.

Normalizing the Right is first and foremost a PR campaign. Where OC isn't "normalized," it IS beneficial to be aware of the image you present when in public. To further the PR campaign to normalize the Right to the level where NO ONE gets a MWAG call/encounter with LE, I would suggest to consider dressing for the campaign, as opposed to not dressing for the campaign.

Does that mean that I recognize that your appearance DOES affect how the public views you? Hell Yes!

I agree! And exactly what I meant!

Keens

Yes and no.

Wrightme, I think you said it perfectly!

This post has gotten a lot of good remarks, and, a lot of dumshit remarks as well! I see that my post is a hot topic, but my point is this: I want to let folks know about their 2A rights! And if I'm OC'ing, I'm going to dress in a respectable manner as I'm out doing my daily business! I am not talking about a damn tux and fancy dress! A pair of nice khakis and a polo shirt Is sufficient.

WalkingWolf

Wrightme, I think you said it perfectly!

This post has gotten a lot of good remarks, and, a lot of dumshit remarks as well! I see that my post is a hot topic, but my point is this: I want to let folks know about their 2A rights! And if I'm OC'ing, I'm going to dress in a respectable manner as I'm out doing my daily business! I am not talking about a damn tux and fancy dress! A pair of nice khakis and a polo shirt Is sufficient.

So jeans or sweat pants are out of the question? You do realize that you just described the civilian dress code for police officers while representing the department. If the your gun is not concealed the officer is considered representing the department. No offense and I apologize for my "dumshit" remarks, but another FYI people who do not OC but are not against 2A also get hassled by cops. They could care less how we dress, antis care less how we dress. The only person that matters that cares how we dress and carry a gun is LEO's. And they hassle people who dress like cops, sorry.

I apologize again and think you have as much right to dress how you want without being judged, just think everybody else deserves the same respect.

Keens

So jeans or sweat pants are out of the question? You do realize that you just described the civilian dress code for police officers while representing the department. If the your gun is not concealed the officer is considered representing the department. No offense and I apologize for my "dumshit" remarks, but another FYI people who do not OC but are not against 2A also get hassled by cops. They could care less how we dress, antis care less how we dress. The only person that matters that cares how we dress and carry a gun is LEO's. And they hassle people who dress like cops, sorry.

I apologize again and think you have as much right to dress how you want without being judged, just think everybody else deserves the same respect.

Umm, I never said anything about dressing as a cop! I think you're missing my point anyway! And your last post just doesn't make any f**ckin sense!

wrightme

The best thing that anybody can do to normalize anything is not make it abnormal. That said there is absolutely no way to normalize a fear, big period. It is wrong to act like the people that believe we should fall into categories, just wrong.

The problem is, in many areas, it IS viewed as "abnormal." And appearance WILL make a difference in how someone views a "MWAG." If presenting the image of a neat, clean, citizen, the view is more "normal," even WITH a firearm. If presenting the image of a hoodlum, the view is more "abnormal."

It is up to the individual, but to deny human nature is to lose the PR campaign.