• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun and Knife show regulations on open carrying

kcGlock19

So how should i go about carrying at the GSO Gun and knife show? It sounds like if I dont have a mag in it and put a ziptie through the handle and out the chamber then I should be fine. It still would fit in my Fobus holster. While it's not much good for protection I would still like to have it incase I want to test fit and holsters and support OC. Would a loaded mag in my pocket be ok?

Link to Rules and Regs per GSO gun and knife show
http://greensborogunshow.com/rules_and_regulations.php

chiefjason

When I carried at the Hickory show they zip tied the action and took both mags. Just take one mag and hand it to them. Let them waste their zip tie too. I guess technically you should not be able to carry at all, loaded or unloaded. But it's a freaking gun show, lol. I just do most of my shopping at LGS where I don't have to pay admission and can still carry.

smlawrence

OC'ed today at the Greensboro Gun Show with no problems at all. I left the magazine in the truck, they checked it at the door, zip-tied it and that was it. Pretty good show too. I only saw a handful of people OC'ing there today though.

kcGlock19

Thanks for the replys. I went today with my dad but didn't carry because I had to go on uncgs campus earlier so I couldn't bring my gun :cry:. I am going tomorrow to grab some stuff and hopefully get some deals being the last day. I will be sure to OC my glock though!

Northerner

I carry my G23 in my SERPA zip tied and magazine in my pocket. They never ask. Also keep my knife handy to cut said zip tie...after all it is a gun show and you should see what kind of people go to those.....

cricketdad

When I carried at the Hickory show they zip tied the action and took both mags. Just take one mag and hand it to them. Let them waste their zip tie too. I guess technically you should not be able to carry at all, loaded or unloaded. But it's a freaking gun show, lol. I just do most of my shopping at LGS where I don't have to pay admission and can still carry.

Carrying at gun shows has little to do with law and a lot to do with insurance. Promoter has to have insurance and insurance requires that firearms be unloaded and tied. It all has to do with accidental discharges. IIRC, a young boy was killed in Georgia last year. I know of at least 2 ADs in Raleigh and 2 in Fayetteville. The last one, just recently, one of the vendors shot out the lights in half of the building.

chiefjason

Carrying at gun shows has little to do with law and a lot to do with insurance. Promoter has to have insurance and insurance requires that firearms be unloaded and tied. It all has to do with accidental discharges. IIRC, a young boy was killed in Georgia last year. I know of at least 2 ADs in Raleigh and 2 in Fayetteville. The last one, just recently, one of the vendors shot out the lights in half of the building.

One word--admission.

Aknazer

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blgunshow.htm

There's a link to rules for a gun show. I know when I go to a gun show here in Oklahoma they have police officers at each entrance who inspect the weapon to make sure it isn't loaded and to zip tie it. They also put a sticker on the bottom of the magazine to show that it isn't loaded (if you brought one).

kcGlock19

A funny observation i made. I went to the gun show earlier in the day and there was only one LEO. At a place where there are at least 10guns within arms reach of every single person (thousands of people), only one LEO. Yet when I went to the movies later with my girlfriend I had to leave the gun in the car and there where 2 LEOs and 3 security guards (only probably hundred) . Hmmm. I thought if we let every "nut" have a gun with them everywhere then it would be like the wild west with shoot outs. Pretty funny real life example on how guns do seem to make places safer.

Last edited:

Brian D.

My understanding is that there's no more than a couple of insurance companies nationwide that will write coverage for gun shows. And they INSIST on the loaded firearm carry prohibitions.

Brion

I understood it that if you are charged admission then you can't carry, that's why I don't carry to the movies, but I carry at a gunshow where I was charged to get it, and no one says a word.

hmmmmmm.............

kcGlock19

I understood it that if you are charged admission then you can't carry, that's why I don't carry to the movies, but I carry at a gunshow where I was charged to get it, and no one says a word.

hmmmmmm.............

I believe in the statues it says something like "no weapons unless given permission from owner". So the owner of the building hosting the gun show just gives permission to carry in the building.

TrailRunner

Just let them zip tie your handgun and keep a loaded mag in an inside jacket pocket or something similar. It's little more than peace-bonding; it barely prevents you from using your weapon in an emergency and by it's nature can't harm your firearm.

Just be warned that some people are going to think your handgun is for sale because you brought it to the gun-show.