• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opening a gun store in Graham Puyallup?

amzbrady

Add to your list:

Do you have a "hook" planned for your business?

Of those you have named, at least two have them. Marksman has their range. Mary's claims 300 Pistols on hand to choose from. Both of those require a substantial investment. The range for equipment (bullet traps, target handlers, air handling equipment, BP glass, etc) and the store for inventory. 300 pistols at an average of $400-$500 per means $120K-$150K for pistols. If you want to sell rifles you'll need inventory there too only they average twice that. What about scopes that can range from $500 to $3500 for those "Assault/Tactical/Sniper Rifles. And then the "Bacon and Egg crowd, the Hunters?

There's a gun shop near me that doesn't have a bolt action hunting rifle in the place. They're struggling to keep the shop going yet stock only Glocks, a couple of AR variants, and some low end hunting scopes.

As part of your business plan don't forget the market study. Who lives in your area, who will your customers be, what are they currently buying, and how can you get them to buy those things from you. Be prepared to spend some money on that information from Commercial Sources. Just guessing can be expensive. Just a dumb thought but it wouldn't be worth your while to open a store if most of the people in your market area either hated guns or were felons and couldn't buy one legally.

I think he has a point, Maybe a Gun & Pawn would do better.

amlevin

Just a good article on writing a business plan i found on a website i enjoy, might be useful for you...

http://lifehacker.com/5833967/how-do-i-create-a-business-plan

The best way is to get the software. The first on this site's list Business Plan Pro is a winner. I know first hand of a Franchising Company that had all their applicants use this software as it was somewhat preferred by the SBA preferred lenders.

Lots of templates and guides.

There is an old and true saying in the world of business. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail". Just like training for armed combat, the more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in combat. The only difference essentially is whether it's blood or money you bleed.

A tip. Don't just toss together a Business Plan and run to the SBA/Bank. Run it by some other professionals in the world of business. A great resource is "SCORE" (Service Corps of Retired Executives) http://www.score.org/

They are a group of retired business executives who assist people in preparing their Business Plans, Loan App's to the SBA or other lending institutions. They will be able to point out holes in the plan as well as target funding sources, government small business programs, and sometimes just plain investors.

Jeff Hayes

Ask yourself why has no one else has opemed a gun store in the area rather than assuming there is a need for another gun store. Learn to be the devils advocate rather than a cheer leader for your own cause. Dont ask your friends, family or other people you know for their opinion, they are on your side and will tell you exactly what you want to hear. You will need way more cash than you think just to keep the doors open. Investors expect retuns on their money. Every business has cycles good times are normally followed by hard times, gun sales are very good at the moment, nuff said about that. Just my .02 take it or leave it, been there done that.

Volume = profit BAAAAHAHAHA, sorry I couldnt help my self.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
A few years ago a new Gun Store went up off Meridian, The Weapon Store I guess is considered to be in Graham that was struggling from day one.
Lack of inventory and prices were pretty high as you could buy the same thing at the marksman for 50 to 60 dollars cheaper.
They has visited a gun manufacture I believe in Lacy or Olympia to work up a gun just for them and to me it seemed really rough and very expensive for what it was.

Here is their website http://theweaponstore.us/ hardly anything there to look at and I do not know if they are still in business or not, they are out there a ways behind the car wash on the west side of the street.

Good luck on your venture but note the Paul Bunyan Shooting (outdoor) Range is just down the road from them, just a few miles farther the Tacoma Gun Club and just down the road from them is the Marksman indoor Shooting Range.

amlevin

Guns, Pawn, Adult Videos, & Bait.

This reminded me of a picture I saw online a couple of years ago. Someone in "redneck country" had a Liquor Store, Smoke Shop, and Gun Store, all in the same building. I believe the sign on top said "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. No doubt his business card said "ATF".

Too bad the State has a monopoly on Liquor Sales. Wonder if Beer would qualify as "Alcohol" for the purposes of a sign?

A clever facade like this might draw lots of shoppers, even if only to have their picture taken in front of the store.

decklin

I try to move around to different gun stores to see who has good selections and prices. Almost every time I am reminded of why I keep going back to the Marksman. They have always treated me with respect and answered all my questions with no attitide. They also tend to beat everybody else in price. Occasionally I will find a gun somewhere else that is cheaper by a couple of bucks but I get turned away by a bad attitude.
I remember going into Bullseye's in Tacoma looking for a specific H&K and when I asked the guy at the counter if they had any he laughed in my face, snorted and said no. Then he tries to show me a 4" Kimber with crimson trace grips in a crappy ACU pattern. I go over to the holster counter and ask the woman if they have any holsters for a certain gun and without even looking she tells me no. I could see one hanging right behind her. Even had a sticker on it saying what it fit.
I head on over to the Marksman and get a USP compact 9mm for $700.
I bought a sig 1911 target for $800 a year ago. I go over to Wholesale Sports in Fed. Way and they are selling a regular sig 1911 for $1000.
I just keep finding reasons to go back to the Marksman. Sorry to rant.

.45ACPaddy

I try to move around to different gun stores to see who has good selections and prices. Almost every time I am reminded of why I keep going back to the Marksman. They have always treated me with respect and answered all my questions with no attitide. They also tend to beat everybody else in price. Occasionally I will find a gun somewhere else that is cheaper by a couple of bucks but I get turned away by a bad attitude.
I remember going into Bullseye's in Tacoma looking for a specific H&K and when I asked the guy at the counter if they had any he laughed in my face, snorted and said no. Then he tries to show me a 4" Kimber with crimson trace grips in a crappy ACU pattern. I go over to the holster counter and ask the woman if they have any holsters for a certain gun and without even looking she tells me no. I could see one hanging right behind her. Even had a sticker on it saying what it fit.
I head on over to the Marksman and get a USP compact 9mm for $700.
I bought a sig 1911 target for $800 a year ago. I go over to Wholesale Sports in Fed. Way and they are selling a regular sig 1911 for $1000.
I just keep finding reasons to go back to the Marksman. Sorry to rant.

I would go there but one guy there insists that open carry is illegal and keeps having a condescending attitude toward open carry. I no longer give them my business.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I would go there but one guy there insists that open carry is illegal and keeps having a condescending attitude toward open carry. I no longer give them my business.

Is this the owner? The manager? An associate? Why would you not give them your business because 'one guy'? Wouldn't it be a better representation to continue to shop there, OC, and quietly and confidently know that what you are doing is legal? Why is it that some here on OCDO think the only way to effect change in shop owners is to take your business elsewhere? Personally I think the opposite is quite true...continued polite, courteous, professional behavior.

decklin

I'm really surprised to hear that. I've open carried in there before and had no issues.