Thread: Looking down the muzzle of a .380 this past weekend!!

Looking down the muzzle of a .380 this past weekend!!

Last edited by Badger Johnson; 08-28-2011 at 08:11 AM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

It's not funny, it's sad. Suppose you'd been lying there, dead; her response, "oops, my bad", sort of doesn't adequately convey a sense of remorse. I'd want that person to say, "Damn! That's the dumbest thing I've ever done! I'm sorry I assaulted you, please forgive me! I've learned my lesson, and from now on, I'll always point the muzzle in the safest possible direction."

"My bad"; really. I mean, like, really!

My first thought (remember that to the man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail) was that what that person did was brandishing a firearm, assault with a deadly weapon, simple assault both as a crime and as a tort. I settle cases like that for damages in the neighborhood of ten thousand dollars. I'd love to have a defendant come in one day and say to a jury, "Gee, my bad."
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Defensive Handgun I
    Defensive Handgun I is a structured live fire class designed to teach you the beginning shooting techniques needed to properly deploy your defensive handgun, while at the same time reinforcing safe gun handling skills.

http://proactiveshooters.com/defensive-handgun-i-2/
    Just sayin'.....

Thumbs up All in all, not bad

Who of us is perfect? In my opinion, your partner responded well. None of us can react exactly the way somebody else thinks we should every time. If a situation like this happened numerous times, maybe then we should take it to next level. Each of us should try to improve the way we carry AND the way we carry ourselves. It's a never-ending job.

Last edited by Badger Johnson; 08-28-2011 at 08:12 AM.
    A gun in a holster is better than one drawn and dispensing bullets. Concealed forces the latter. - ixtow

Hi, I'm hypercritical. But I mean no harm, I just like to try to look deeply at life

Both of you did very well, except for the part where you turned around and was, inadvertently to be sure, on the wrong end of your partner's weapon. You both realized the mistake and both of you are talking it through and taking action to prevent a recurrence.

Damifinow what else you could/should have done under the circumstances you were under. You'll get no flames or criticism from me. For what it is worth, I'd have been up and looking around after a noise such as you describe with pistol in hand.

Last edited by Badger Johnson; 08-28-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Partner?
    Are yall cops or something?

Last edited by Badger Johnson; 08-28-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Good that y'all were able to learn something without any injuries occurring.

Big boy rules. Nobody was injured.

Learn from the mistake and move on.

Question

?????
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    ?????
    Same here. It appears Badger has removed all his comments.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_shadow View Post
    Same here. It appears Badger has removed all his comments.

It's not funny, it's sad. Suppose you'd been lying there, dead; her response, "oops, my bad", sort of doesn't adequately convey a sense of remorse.
    Actually....in response to User's post I was going to say that after reading some of his posts, she'd feel better.

Wow....
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Last edited by Badger Johnson; 08-28-2011 at 08:12 AM..

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post

I do sympathize somewhat. Last night wife thought she heard an intruder, but it was not even nightfall yet. I went downstairs and checked each room, and then the final room, a closed door storage room. It was pitch dark in the basement and deadly quiet as I suddenly pushed open the door a nudge - and heard a "clunk" in the corner.

My finger wasn't on the trigger and I stopped myself before it got all the way there because the back of my brain registered the sound in that split second. It was just the pressure tank coming on because someone turned on a faucet upstairs.

Still, I told my wife we almost needed a new pressure tank - an exaggeration, but it still gave me an adrenaline jolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkad View Post

You all do know that the phrases "Big boy rules" and Nobody was injured" are the same, don't you?

The other rules (the infamous Four Rules) are there to make sure nobody needs to use the "big boy rules" line.

And now, twice, I have used the phrase "big boy". The only two times in my life I have ever done so. I hope you are happy at making me do that.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    what happened to the OP text??

This original post drew a fair amount of critical 'fire' when I put it up. I since considered that the incident where one person swept the other in a 'man in the house' scenario was my fault not my partners. I kind of regretted posting it, though it had some potential to be 'lessons learned' posting.

(Turned out there was no one in the camping cabin, it was the earthquake aftershock which slammed an interior door at 0100 and thus no rounds were expended downrange and only one person had to change their underwear. )

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    10-4. Thanks.