• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking down the muzzle of a .380 this past weekend!!

user

Accomplished Advocate
It's not funny, it's sad. Suppose you'd been lying there, dead; her response, "oops, my bad", sort of doesn't adequately convey a sense of remorse. I'd want that person to say, "Damn! That's the dumbest thing I've ever done! I'm sorry I assaulted you, please forgive me! I've learned my lesson, and from now on, I'll always point the muzzle in the safest possible direction."

"My bad"; really. I mean, like, really!

My first thought (remember that to the man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail) was that what that person did was brandishing a firearm, assault with a deadly weapon, simple assault both as a crime and as a tort. I settle cases like that for damages in the neighborhood of ten thousand dollars. I'd love to have a defendant come in one day and say to a jury, "Gee, my bad."

fjpro2a

All in all, not bad

Who of us is perfect? In my opinion, your partner responded well. None of us can react exactly the way somebody else thinks we should every time. If a situation like this happened numerous times, maybe then we should take it to next level. Each of us should try to improve the way we carry AND the way we carry ourselves. It's a never-ending job.

SFCRetired

Both of you did very well, except for the part where you turned around and was, inadvertently to be sure, on the wrong end of your partner's weapon. You both realized the mistake and both of you are talking it through and taking action to prevent a recurrence.

Damifinow what else you could/should have done under the circumstances you were under. You'll get no flames or criticism from me. For what it is worth, I'd have been up and looking around after a noise such as you describe with pistol in hand.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Same here. It appears Badger has removed all his comments. :confused:

It's not funny, it's sad. Suppose you'd been lying there, dead; her response, "oops, my bad", sort of doesn't adequately convey a sense of remorse.
Actually....in response to User's post I was going to say that after reading some of his posts, she'd feel better.:uhoh:

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Big boy rules. Nobody was injured.

Learn from the mistake and move on.

I do sympathize somewhat. Last night wife thought she heard an intruder, but it was not even nightfall yet. I went downstairs and checked each room, and then the final room, a closed door storage room. It was pitch dark in the basement and deadly quiet as I suddenly pushed open the door a nudge - and heard a "clunk" in the corner.

My finger wasn't on the trigger and I stopped myself before it got all the way there because the back of my brain registered the sound in that split second. It was just the pressure tank coming on because someone turned on a faucet upstairs.

Still, I told my wife we almost needed a new pressure tank - an exaggeration, but it still gave me an adrenaline jolt.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Big boy rules. Nobody was injured.

Learn from the mistake and move on.

You all do know that the phrases "Big boy rules" and Nobody was injured" are the same, don't you?

The other rules (the infamous Four Rules) are there to make sure nobody needs to use the "big boy rules" line.

And now, twice, I have used the phrase "big boy". The only two times in my life I have ever done so. I hope you are happy at making me do that.

stay safe.

Badger Johnson

This original post drew a fair amount of critical 'fire' when I put it up. I since considered that the incident where one person swept the other in a 'man in the house' scenario was my fault not my partners. I kind of regretted posting it, though it had some potential to be 'lessons learned' posting.

(Turned out there was no one in the camping cabin, it was the earthquake aftershock which slammed an interior door at 0100 and thus no rounds were expended downrange and only one person had to change their underwear. :) )