• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Courant editorial attack against OC

LQM

Lawmaking is easy!

"The General Assembly should provide some clarity. It should make it illegal for handgun owners to carry their weapons in plain sight."

You know, the legislature should provide some clarity and make it illegal for anyone under the age of 27 to get a tattoo or piercings. I am alarmed at some of the things people do to themselves. They should make it illegal for persons over 5'2" to congregate as people taller than me are intimidating. Also, I don't like banana's, they offend me. Let's make a law that makes it illegal to sell or eat one in my presence. Do these also constitute breach of peace?

All of the above are currently legal, but I would like the Undersecretary Lawlor, and Dear Leader Malloy, to decree them otherwise. I would be so much safer if they do. I think I'll start a petition.

Last edited:

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
My response to them:

Gun owners, hide those handguns! The sight of such things offends us decent folk. Besides, you can't have any of those uppity gun owners thinking they have civil rights like the rest of us. Keep it up and the next thing you know they'll want to be able to sit in a restaurant or diner with the rest of us decent folks, or even in the front of the bus.

Carrying a firearm? That's called The Right To Bear Arms (see Amendment 2, U.S. Constitution).

Carrying it openly or concealed? That's called Freedom of Speech/Expression (see Amendment 1, U.S. Constitution).

Got your panties all wet at the sight of someone exercising a fundamental civil right? Get some adult diapers, or get used to it.

MGoduto

Has anyone e-mailed Lawlor about this?

Mike.Lawlor@ct.gov
Phone: (860) 418-6394

We're the constitution state and he completely disregards it...

Edit: looks as if there was a poll the day prior about OC http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/todaysbuzz/hc-monday-buzz-0829,0,6591866.story

The comments are quite interesting

I'd like to email Mr. Lawlor and tell him to 'plant one' on my large furry backside because of his views on OC, but I'm afraid of catching MRSA.

Who cares what the Courant thinks? I wouldn't paper-train a puppy with that leftist rag.

Shawn Mitola

I sent this to Mr Lawlor, I like it.

Mr Lawlor,

I find it appalling that a member of the justice system could be so horribly wrong about something that has been proven time and time again. You state that open carry is by definition a breach of peace. Explain your thinking? Explain to me how my legal activity can be turned into a crime on the whim of another person? I open carry on a regular basis and have never once had so much as an odd look at my firearm. Should I provide precedent for you from both the DPS and the BFPE who have repeatedly stated that Open carry is legal and that someone displaying a firearm openly can not be detained, arrested, or harassed simply for carrying a firearm openly. The BPFE just recently reprimanded the fairfield PD for their handling of the case of a Mr. Sultan. In this case the BPFE stated that, "If a person is carrying a firearm openly and someone else gets upset or scared by that then that is THEIR problem."

http://www.ctgunrights.com/06.Audio/Fairfield.Opencarry.Legal.MP3 Here is the link to the audio recording of the BPFE hearing. If you'd like I could send you the DPS memo that was given to the CT State Police that instructs them to not detain, question, or arrest someone for open carry.

I urge you as a member of the justice Dept to rethink your stand on this topic and to stick to the law and not allow your personal opinions about guns to influence your statements to the press. There are several wrongful arrest lawsuits against Police Depts in this state already and your statements to the press are only going to spread misinformation and lies to the public and the police that will result in further lawsuits and wrongful arrests. Sadly Mr Lawlor your are on the wrong side of this fight. Open carry is becoming MORE popular not LESS as we work to stop the flow of misinformation and clear up the misconception that guns are things to be feared.

I would be happy to debate this issue with you and or provide you with more relevant date to support my case should you require it. We are watching Mr Lawlor, i wouldn't be surprised if you begin to receive more and more emails about this issue.

Thank you for your time,
Shawn Mitola
203-944-9808