Thread: Social Security Office, Guard Shoots 2

Social Security Office, Guard Shoots 2

wow if they were no longer a threat hes F-ed

On a side note I use to work in the Wayne County SS Buildings as security! The Macnamera Building downtown too!
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy05 View Post
    wow if they were no longer a threat hes F-ed

On a side note I use to work in the Wayne County SS Buildings as security! The Macnamera Building downtown too!
    edit. Running away from you?... Probably not a threat. JMO

edit edit... Edit button is to close to Reply with Quote button!
    Last edited by jeremy05; 08-27-2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

unless there is more to the story that what is in the news article, i do not see how the shooting is legally justifiable. i think adrenaline and ego may have gotten the best of him.

Running towards him maybe - but to shoot at them as they ran away from a car theft scene & they were unarmed as far as we know? If he doesn't get charged it will be amazing!

From the News Story, it appears that the Security Guard chased the perps and shot while they were running away. Based upon this information...

Appears the City of Detroit Ordinance on Discharge of Firearms was violated.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Ordinance Sec. 38-10-7
    Discharge of firearms.

No person shall discharge a firearm in the city, except for police officers in the discharge of their duties, persons acting in self defense and licensed shooting galleries or ranges.
    http://library.municode.com/HTML/106...E_S38-10-7DIFI

Appears the City of Detroit Ordinance on Drawing of Firearms in Public was violated.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Ordinance Sec. 38-10-8
    Drawing, handling, etc., of guns in public.

No person, except a peace officer in the discharge of his duty or a citizen in self-defense, shall draw, handle or flourish a revolver, pistol or other gun in any public street, avenue, alley, public park or other public space.
    http://library.municode.com/HTML/106...10-8DRHAETGUPU

Appears the use of Deadly Force in this instance does not fall within the Laws of MI on such.

Quote Originally Posted by MCL 780.972
    Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.

Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.
    http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-780-972

Appears the use of a firearm in this instance may have violated the use of firearms in MI.

Quote Originally Posted by MCL 752.861
    Careless, reckless or negligent use of firearms; penalty.

Sec. 1.

Any person who, because of carelessness, recklessness or negligence, but not wilfully or wantonly, shall cause or allow any firearm under his immediate control, to be discharged so as to kill or injure another person, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 2 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 1 year, in the discretion of the court.
    http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-752-861
    Last edited by PDinDetroit; 08-27-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Banned
    Illegal.

That guard is in deep trouble. I cant even say they deserved it this time, because the shots were going past innocent people. Totally uncalled for. Should never have happened.

I thought you didnt need a gun at the SS offices?

Given the facts so far it sounds like he is going to prison. Since the social security office is considered federal property and if the account for security was unarmed and he was using his personal firearm, he is indeed screwed. His own security company will be forced to abandon him and circle the wagons so as to save themselves from liability at this point.

They were already fleeing AND unarmed!??? Indeed, he is going upstate to sit beside that other former security guard named Tigh Croff.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

I was told in my CPL class that if a bad guy with a gun is running away from you, that doesn't immediately cause him to no longer be a threat. If the bad guy here had a gun, I could see this as being justifiable. If not, the guard is screwed.

That's not how I believe it should be. I think we should be able to shoot thieves.

reported
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy05 View Post
    edit. Running away from you?... Probably not a threat. JMO

edit edit... Edit button is to close to Reply with Quote button!
    If he were a cop it would be totally different.

Running away? Try: an out of control person accelerating their full-sized body towards potential babies on the ground is basically attempted murder.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...hooting/page78

OP has dead link
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    OP has dead link
    Story is from 2011

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/D...2/-/index.html
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton

Congratulations to GemAlessandro for fooling at least one OCDO member (with an axe to grind) with his disguised SPAM.

And yes, I submitted a second report of the post as SPAM.

Seems we are making them work a bit harder to get their SPAM through the filters.

stat safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Social Security Office, Guard Shoots 2

WTF?!

A necro post!?!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

So did this security guard get off or not?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    So did this security guard get off or not?
    I couldn't even find the security guard's name to find out. I too was curious.
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton

Lightbulb

Besides the stories of violent crime by police and federal workers, I'm dumbfounded that the gun control crowd hasn't demanded they be disarmed, considering the violent crime among them, by %, is 500% higher than that of CPL licensees! The police can carry sticks and the feds can be totaly defenseless like they want the rest of us to be!!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Re: Social Security Office, Guard Shoots 2

@Q. Necro post! Necro post! Necro post!
    Hey, if people want to talk about this older thread good on them. Mr. Haman makes some astute points in my humble opinion along with many others in this thread. Carry on.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-12-2013 at 02:52 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    @Q. Necro post! Necro post! Necro post!
    Hey, if people want to talk about this older thread good on them. Mr. Haman makes some astute points in my humble opinion along with many others in this thread. Carry on.
    I thought the comment added a great deal to the thread, TheQ's that is. Almost as much as my post does now
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Five.Seven View Post
    Link isn't working for me =/
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    that's because it's a necro post
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

The link above to another thread in a different state forum lead to some interesting, more recent reading too about some other case. For anyone who cares. So, the 'necro post' was valuable to me, for that if no other reason.