• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Social Security Office, Guard Shoots 2

jeremy05

wow if they were no longer a threat hes F-ed

On a side note I use to work in the Wayne County SS Buildings as security! The Macnamera Building downtown too!

jeremy05

wow if they were no longer a threat hes F-ed

On a side note I use to work in the Wayne County SS Buildings as security! The Macnamera Building downtown too!

edit. Running away from you?... Probably not a threat. JMO

edit edit... Edit button is to close to Reply with Quote button!

Last edited:

ElectricianLU58

unless there is more to the story that what is in the news article, i do not see how the shooting is legally justifiable. i think adrenaline and ego may have gotten the best of him.

Get2DahChopper

Running towards him maybe - but to shoot at them as they ran away from a car theft scene & they were unarmed as far as we know? If he doesn't get charged it will be amazing!:eek:

PDinDetroit

From the News Story, it appears that the Security Guard chased the perps and shot while they were running away. Based upon this information...

Appears the City of Detroit Ordinance on Discharge of Firearms was violated.

Detroit Ordinance Sec. 38-10-7 said:
Discharge of firearms.

No person shall discharge a firearm in the city, except for police officers in the discharge of their duties, persons acting in self defense and licensed shooting galleries or ranges.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10...IIICICO_CH38OFMIPR_ARTXWE_DIV1GE_S38-10-7DIFI

Appears the City of Detroit Ordinance on Drawing of Firearms in Public was violated.

Detroit Ordinance Sec. 38-10-8 said:
Drawing, handling, etc., of guns in public.

No person, except a peace officer in the discharge of his duty or a citizen in self-defense, shall draw, handle or flourish a revolver, pistol or other gun in any public street, avenue, alley, public park or other public space.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10...O_CH38OFMIPR_ARTXWE_DIV1GE_S38-10-8DRHAETGUPU

Appears the use of Deadly Force in this instance does not fall within the Laws of MI on such.

MCL 780.972 said:
Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.

Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-780-972

Appears the use of a firearm in this instance may have violated the use of firearms in MI.

MCL 752.861 said:
Careless, reckless or negligent use of firearms; penalty.

Sec. 1.

Any person who, because of carelessness, recklessness or negligence, but not wilfully or wantonly, shall cause or allow any firearm under his immediate control, to be discharged so as to kill or injure another person, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 2 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 1 year, in the discretion of the court.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-752-861

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Illegal.

That guard is in deep trouble. I cant even say they deserved it this time, because the shots were going past innocent people. Totally uncalled for. Should never have happened.

I thought you didnt need a gun at the SS offices?:rolleyes:

cmdr_iceman71

Given the facts so far it sounds like he is going to prison. Since the social security office is considered federal property and if the account for security was unarmed and he was using his personal firearm, he is indeed screwed. His own security company will be forced to abandon him and circle the wagons so as to save themselves from liability at this point.

They were already fleeing AND unarmed!??? Indeed, he is going upstate to sit beside that other former security guard named Tigh Croff.

kubel

I was told in my CPL class that if a bad guy with a gun is running away from you, that doesn't immediately cause him to no longer be a threat. If the bad guy here had a gun, I could see this as being justifiable. If not, the guard is screwed.

That's not how I believe it should be. I think we should be able to shoot thieves.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Congratulations to GemAlessandro for fooling at least one OCDO member (with an axe to grind) with his disguised SPAM.

And yes, I submitted a second report of the post as SPAM.

Seems we are making them work a bit harder to get their SPAM through the filters.

stat safe.

Haman J.T.

Besides the stories of violent crime by police and federal workers, I'm dumbfounded that the gun control crowd hasn't demanded they be disarmed, considering the violent crime among them, by %, is 500% higher than that of CPL licensees! The police can carry sticks and the feds can be totaly defenseless like they want the rest of us to be!!

FreeInAZ

@Q. Necro post! Necro post! Necro post!
Hey, if people want to talk about this older thread good on them. Mr. Haman makes some astute points in my humble opinion along with many others in this thread. Carry on. :D

Last edited:

Raggs

@Q. Necro post! Necro post! Necro post!
Hey, if people want to talk about this older thread good on them. Mr. Haman makes some astute points in my humble opinion along with many others in this thread. Carry on. :D

I thought the comment added a great deal to the thread, TheQ's that is. Almost as much as my post does now :p