Thread: I emailed DPS asking if I would be hassled for open carry, and here's the Q&A

I emailed DPS asking if I would be hassled for open carry, and here's the Q&A

I'm a new permit holder and new to the open carry forum... I researched high and low, and could not find anywhere that open carry was illegal in CT. I took it upon myself to email dps and see what their response would be to my question... knowing that they don't make or enforce the law. Here my question and their answer....

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:32 AM
    To: firearm.permit.appeals@ct.gov
    Subject: clarification please...

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a law abiding citizen whom recently acquired a State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. I have a matter of interpretation. The interpretation that I receive from the language on the permit is that "Conceal Carry" or "Open Carry" is at the discretion of the permit holder. I have been studying Connecticut's General Statutes pertaining to firearms and there is nothing listed requiring permit holders to "Conceal Carry". My primary choice of carry would be "Open Carry" for more comfort, no worries about "printing" with a larger firearm, and also for a tactical advantage. I'm a husband, a father of 3 little girls, and the last thing I want is an encounter with a law enforcement officer due to lack of knowledge. I have exhausted all my resources in researching this topic, and I can not find where "Open Carry" by a permit holder meets the statutory requirement to constitute a crime. My question is, if I'm out with my family with a holstered firearm upon my person, am I acting outside of the privileges of my permit?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR RESPONSE

here's the response i received from Susan Mozzoccoli, Board of Firearms Permit Examiners
    RE: clarification please...

No.

If you click on the "Publications" tab at the top of our website you will see two articles from Legislative Research:

"Nine specifice gun related questions" and "Office of Legislative Research Summary of Connecticut Gun Laws"

It states that there is no CT law that states you must carry concealed.

However, you may also want to read what happened to a man who carried his firearm into a bowling ally on ctgunrights.com

"Burgess vs. Wallingford Police Dept."

The attached document includes links to information regarding Open Carry. You might find it helpful.
    http://www.ctgunrights.com/06.Audio/...arry.Legal.MP3
    Along with a post on www.opencarry.org at this link.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...s-indeed-legal

Susan Mazzoccoli
    Board of Firearms Permit Examiners

You do realize that the BFPE is not DPS.
    Susan did give you the correct answers. (She is a nice lady)

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    You do realize that the BFPE is not DPS.
    Susan did give you the correct answers. (She is a nice lady)
    Thank you for clarifying that for me...
    And with her prompt and informative response, I'd agree she is a nice lady.

She really is a nice lady and has helped me out with my research when I needed a few questions answered.

Also, Rich was in a pool hall, but other than that...... she's right.

Rich, however, still has his permit and has an active case against Wallingford, so, it's far from settled!

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.