• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non resident of California

myotheralt

I am an Iowa resident, and have an Iowa carry permit (though I know it isn't recognized). I understand that empty open carry is legal without a permit, but does that also apply to non residents?

I am planning a motorcycle trip fro Iowa, and Finding this out is one of my last steps. Thanks.

oc4ever

Almost impossible to do

California has a 1000' Gun Free School Zone (GFSZ) law for handguns( that are not unlocked and unloaded). It is nearly impossible to drive in any of the urban areas without violating this law while OC'ing. If you don't know where the schools are while you are traveling around, You might as well plan on bringing a lockable gun container with you unless you want to see the wrong side of a jail cell, the LEO's won't care if your from Iowa a nd have a non- Calif CCW permit. If I was you. I would enjoy my 2.A rights as a US citizen in Arizona, because the gun laws really are so repressive here to make defensive carry a joke once you cross into this State.

Last edited:

oc4ever

are you serious??

Law Aim wrote.....

Or go with common law carry, not as a resident or U.S. CITIZEN who is subject to the statutes but as a State National/Citizen not subject to statutes/codes.
http://www.famguardian.org/Subjects/LawAndGovt/Citizenship/WhyANational.pdf
Richard James McDonald
USAvsUS

Do you really think this pie in the sky legal argument is going to work on a LEO's while you are handcuffed, gun confiscated that you will probably never see again, sitting in the back of a patrol car on the way to county jail with felony GFSZ charges pending? Are you going to pay his bail, attorney's fees and show the judge that this web site makes it all OK? Ouch.

myotheralt asked a legitimate question about coming to California and OC'ing, I doubt he wants to be a test case for legal folly. Come to California for vacation....leave on probation....

Last edited:

wildhawker

As others have pointed out, your primary obstacles (and risk) is in the CA and Fed. Gun Free School Zone. Unloaded open carry is permitted activity, but very difficult without extensive research and planning. There is no comprehensive list of schools, nor is there a comprehensive map showing 1,000FT areas surrounding school property boundaries.

Please ignore Lawful Aim's bad advice to act in a manner that could cause you to commit a serious crime.

Be safe, enjoy your visit, and please don't injure yourself by way of unlawful carry.

-Brandon

I am an Iowa resident, and have an Iowa carry permit (though I know it isn't recognized). I understand that empty open carry is legal without a permit, but does that also apply to non residents?

I am planning a motorcycle trip fro Iowa, and Finding this out is one of my last steps. Thanks.