• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a Revolver

TheDon

I got to thinking today and was wondering how one would properly open carry a revolver. Most of my
handguns are revolvers and I was thinking about carrying one. The reason I ask is I know to be legal with an
auto you can not have a round in the chamber. Is this just a safety issue or is it to slow your ability to present your firearm and fire? Is this just as simple as putting a empty chamber under the hammer? I thought this could be one of them sticky issues and figured I should ask just to be safe. If this question was addressed before I
am sorry I must have missed it when looking.

Don

Richieg150

The reason I ask is I know to be legal with an
auto you can not have a round in the chamber. Is this just a safety issue or is it to slow your ability to present your firearm and fire?

Don

I'm not sure about other states but in Missouri, its legal to carry your auto, fully loaded with a round in the chamber.As far as a safety issue, IMHO, its safer for me to have one in the tube, so when and if needed I wont have to rack one in,possibly drawing attention to myself or taking time doing it.That goes without saying that If I have to fire, the responce would be alot faster with a round ready to go.....

eye95

It is not only legal (in Alabama) to carry a semi-auto with a round chambered, it is wise to do so. You don't want to have to rack in an emergency.

Modern firearms are quite safe to carry "cocked and locked." I don't know revolvers well, but I am sure that they have been designed to be safely carried with a round in the chamber under the hammer.

When the stuff hits the rotary air-impelling device, at most, I only want to have to removed a safety before being able to effectively pull the trigger.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thank you eye for adding the "semi." There is a major difference between semi-auto and automatic. I also agree that it is advisable to keep a round chambered when legal. Last thing you want to worry about is having to rack the slide. With revolvers, just keep the hammer down and you are good to go, safety-wise.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

It is not only legal (in Alabama) to carry a semi-auto with a round chambered, it is wise to do so. You don't want to have to rack in an emergency.

Modern firearms are quite safe to carry "cocked and locked." I don't know revolvers well, but I am sure that they have been designed to be safely carried with a round in the chamber under the hammer.

When the stuff hits the rotary air-impelling device, at most, I only want to have to removed a safety before being able to effectively pull the trigger.

I agree with the statement in bold. Modern firearms are safe to carry cocked and locked. The problem is not with the equipment but the handler. This is true of all equipment, whether firearms or the kitchen knife. I dislike the the extended safeties on modern semi autos very much, they are and invite to some numpty to bump them off at the inappropriate time. All that fancy quap is not necessary for a very functional 1911A1. But then I am a practical guy, and pay for function not bells and whistles. I prefer crank windows instead of electric, I like old automobiles with controls that make sense, not commercials. I chuckle every time I see a commercial for a car with a push button starter. Don't these numptys know that cars originally had push button starters.

Remember there are NO accidents, only incidents. There also is a reason that some pieces of machinery have a higher human error factor than others. No matter how safe equipment is, whether firearm or not it is only as safe as the handler.

MamaLiberty

I have carried a revolver for years. The modern revolver can safely be carried with a full cylinder because the firing pin is shielded by a piece of metal that prevents it from touching the primer until the trigger is pulled. I carry a Ruger SP101 in .357M using .38+p JHP ammunition. I have never hesitated to carry it openly or concealed. The 5 pound double action trigger is the only "safety" besides my brain, and so far has always been adequate.

There are NO "accidental discharges." There are negligent discharges and gun malfunctions. If the safety rules are followed, even a malfunction shouldn't harm anyone unless the gun blows up completely. And that's a separate issue.

If there is no round in the firing chamber, the gun is unloaded period, far as I'm concerned. I will never carry an unloaded gun.

wrightme

I got to thinking today and was wondering how one would properly open carry a revolver. Most of my
handguns are revolvers and I was thinking about carrying one. The reason I ask is I know to be legal with an
auto you can not have a round in the chamber. Is this just a safety issue or is it to slow your ability to present your firearm and fire? Is this just as simple as putting a empty chamber under the hammer? I thought this could be one of them sticky issues and figured I should ask just to be safe. If this question was addressed before I
am sorry I must have missed it when looking.

Don

I suggest you post your question in the relevant state forum. If you are not allowed to carry with a round chambered, that must be a state or local law, and other OCers in that vicinity will best be able to respond.

WalkingWolf

I suggest you post your question in the relevant state forum. If you are not allowed to carry with a round chambered, that must be a state or local law, and other OCers in that vicinity will best be able to respond.

IMO laws do not restrict a loaded chamber but an unloaded gun in some states. This means if the person carries a revolver the cylinder must be empty. There is a definite advantage to a auto in this circumstance as it only takes a split second to shove a magazine in and rack a round, such as would be the case in CA. I would not suggest anyone carry a revolver for SD unloaded. As far as the auto well that is the way the military was required to carry while I was a member. Though we did have a loaded magazine inserted, the chamber remained empty until necessary. The other instance would be states where the gun must be unloaded in the vehicle. It would be less likely to cause issues loading and unloading to have a empty chamber. Keep in mind the gun must be loaded outside of the vehicle to avoid a unlawful display charge, that just inserting the magazine would not need to draw the weapon.

TheDon

Ok guys I'll take this over to my state board. I did not know that carrying a chambered round was legal in other states. But it make since that MICHIGAN would have some dumb law that not other or few other places have.

Daylen

Ok guys I'll take this over to my state board. I did not know that carrying a chambered round was legal in other states. But it make since that MICHIGAN would have some dumb law that not other or few other places have.

I've read through Michigan's laws on firearms and come to the conclusion that you should go to the bathroom immediately and use the toilet.

1245A Defender

well,,,

the requirement you are thinking of, two steps needed to fire...
that is in Utah. open carry "without a permit" requires an empty chamber, in semiautos, and two empty chambers, in revolvers..

michigan does not have that requirement.

wrightme

WalkingWolf

Wouldn't taking the safety off, and then pulling the trigger be two distinctly different steps? Surprised there has not been a challenge on that basis.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I should have made it more clear that in relation to a semi auto, with a thumb safety.

My semi-auto has a safety, but it can be used only with a round chambered and the hammer cocked. When the hammer is down, the firearm works just (only) like a revolver: draw and fire.

My firearm has two modes of carry while a round is chambered:

Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down (safety off).
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.

WalkingWolf

My semi-auto has a safety, but it can be used only with a round chambered and the hammer cocked. When the hammer is down, the firearm works just (only) like a revolver: draw and fire.

My firearm has two modes of carry while a round is chambered:

Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down (safety off).
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.

I have a double action semi auto that can be safely carried with the safety on, or off. I also have a 1911 single action auto that is designed to be carried with the hammer cocked and the safety on. Either way for both guns there can be two distinct actions to fire the gun as long as the safety is used. Don't know why bureaucracy have to come up with ******** when basically they are saying carry with a empty chamber.

BTW there is two distinct actions with a single action revolver also to fire the gun with no safety. So for safety purposes only the chamber under the hammer should be empty, or rested between case rims.