• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't get MN & FL permits.

BROKENSPROKET

The other matter I disagree with Brokensprocket on is the actual costs involved in getting a MN permit. In his comparison he did not include the cost of the fingerprinting and photos in the total cost of the UT permit.

And I won't. One can get fingerprinting done for free in Wisconsin. The DOJ sent out a memo to Sheriff's Dept. telling them not to charge. My County Sheriff's Dept. does them for free.

As for photos, anyone with a digital camera and a computer can do their own passport style photos. Just Google it.

One could make the claim that the MN training is "free" since by meeting the requirements for one state they meet the requirements for other states. By that same thinking the UT classes are also "free" if one has already taken the training to get a permit in another state.

Not true. The Utah class curriculum must be taught by a BCI certified instructor and the Minnesota class curriculum must be taught by a MADFI certified instructor. One person can be both and teach both curriculums in one class but the curriculum for each is mandated, so is the certifaction that is given for completion of the curriculum of each.

BROKENSPROKET

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=7072

If this law passes we could see no need for an out of state permit. I'm not sure I like this bill since it essentially endorses a state power to license a right but it does allow for every law abiding citizen to stop having to play "concealed carry Bingo" when they travel.

There is also a bill in Minnesota for universal recognition. I believe it died this session in the Senate after being passed in the House but it will come back next session.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6829

Just wait and see on what comes of these bills if you can.

This bill will never make it passed the Senate. We will have to wait until after the 2012 elelctions to see if the conservatives can take the Senate and Whitehouse.

The right and ability to self-defense is not something someone should just wait and see about.

IA_farmboy

AZ\MN does not get WA.
MN/ND does not get NV.
AZ/UT does not get.....hmmm....... gets every state that accepts non-resident permits.

And none of them are recognized in FL, MI, CO, SC, NY, NJ, CA, or MA. The value of the permit is in the eye of the beholder. If the person does not plan to travel to NV or WA then the distinction is not a difference.

You have stated the goal is to save money. With that in mind I am exploring options and encouraging others to do the same. The lowest cost option is, of course, not getting a permit. Buyer beware and all that.

ND is not an option. I looked into ND when I was considering going out the to haul water for the oil patch. You have to take a course within the state from a instructor certified by the AG and you must apply in person at a county sheriff and have them do the fingerprints. FYI, the application fee for a non-resident permit is $45. Add that to the course fee and add the fuel to get there and back for the course and application.

Why should one be concerned about the fuel costs of traveling to a state to get a permit if they are traveling to that state anyway? The slight detour to a sheriff sounds to me like no more of a cost or inconvenience than going to the post office or grocery store.

The information on usacarry.com must be out of date since they stated the fee was $25. I see the ND AG website shows $45. Not knowing the costs of the training I cannot rule this out as a viable alternative as you have done. With the license fees $20 or so less than the fees charged by UT and AZ there is that margin that can be used in getting the training and still saving money.

MN is very similar in that you have to take a course from a MADFI - certified instructor every 5 years and you have to apply in person at the county sheriff. Add the cost of fuel to travel there and back.

Again, getting to and from Minnesota for the permit application process should not be of a concern for people that are traveling to that state anyway for business or pleasure. I agree that the cost of recurring training must be considered. I would appreciate it if you would consider the cost of training when speaking of the costs of obtaining the UT and AZ permits. It seems you neglect the cost of training when doing so favors the AZ and UT permits.

AZ and UT can be mailed in and training can be taken locally. AZ accepts several types of training, including many states hunters safety certificates. Arizona used to be like Nevada, where you had to take training within the state, but that all changed when they went to Constitutional Carry and changed all that. Now, AZ is one of the best choices, and UT is the best companion.

Minnesota also accepts numerous types of training. The training must be offered by a trainer registered with the state but I have found that most every firearm trainer in the Midwest has filed the required paperwork with Minnesota. The MN and ND permits can be filed with a slight detour on ones travels through those states. If one is not traveling through MN or ND then they likely do not need multiple permits anyway.

I will not consider the fingerprint cost for AZ and UT, because they supply the cards and the my county sheriff does them for free. There is a lot of places one can get free fingerprinting in Wisconsin. The DOJ sent out a memo to county sheriffs telling them not to charge anymore. Some still do, but most don't.

I will not consider the cost for photos becasue anyone with a digital cammera and a computer can do there own passport style photos.

I did not realize anyone did fingerprinting for free. If that is readily available in WI then I can understand not including that in the cost. I will dispute the validity of claiming the photos can be obtained for "free" since I'm not so sure that these licensing agencies will accept a photo printed on a consumer grade ink jet printer. Also, not everyone has a digital camera and color printer available to them. If you don't include them as a cost then I would ask that you at least make note that the application process includes the need for a photo so that people can determine the total costs that they personally will have to pay. Just because something is free for you does not mean it's free for everyone else too.

IA_farmboy

Not true. The Utah class curriculum must be taught by a BCI certified instructor and the Minnesota class curriculum must be taught by a MADFI certified instructor. One person can be both and teach both curriculums in one class but the curriculum for each is mandated, so is the certifaction that is given for completion of the curriculum of each.

I over simplified things. It is not difficult to find a trainer willing to offer a single course that is recognized by both MN and UT. Since these trainers are almost always NRA instructors as well the training will likely be recognized by many other states for their own training requirement.

It was explained to me that MN did not dictate the content of the training only that the instructor must be certified by the state and there is a minimum time in the classroom. I may be mistaken but that is what I have been told. I have not taken a MN course but I believe my instructor I had for my UT course was licensed/registered/whatever by MN so I probably have met the requirements for the MN license as well without even knowing it at the time.

Last edited:

IA_farmboy

This bill will never make it passed the Senate. We will have to wait until after the 2012 elelctions to see if the conservatives can take the Senate and Whitehouse.

The national reciprocity bill has been introduced in the House for the last 15 years in some form. At least that is what I heard. It will come up again and I see this passing or something happening to make it moot real soon. What might render the law moot is either a court case and/or a series of state laws recognizing out of state permits.

The right and ability to self-defense is not something someone should just wait and see about.

That is why I said IF one can wait they should. If one already has a FL permit that will be valid for a couple more years, like myself, then there is plenty of time to see what happens in the legislature or courts, be it federally, or in states like UT, MN, and WI.

If one is planning a trip for Thanksgiving, for example, then one must act soon since just about any state will take two months to process a permit application.

bforn

Not sure where you are getting that most instructors are certified for Minnesota. Minnesota instructors are certified and some others close to Minnesota but I think it is a far cry saying most in the Midwest are certified for Minnesota.

You don't necessarily get the permit when you are planning on going somewhere most people try to be covered as much as possible so that they can go to those places they can. By the time that someone thinks they need to go to that state or through it there isn't time to get a permit. Do you always plan everything you do months in advance? Most Utah instructors that I know do the fingerprinting as part of the class a lot will do the photo as well.

When it comes to cost you also have to look at renewing and if you need to take a course. MN does require you to take a course every five years which is an added expense. Utah costs $15 to renew and no class is needed. AZ is $40 something. I tell people about AZ in my UT/WI courses and do the fingerprints free of charge for those people if they want it so it really isn't a big deal.

Yes Utah changed the requirements and that is disappointing, but to completely disregard it as an option is up to the individual. I know you have said that you are going to drop it and that is your choice. It is still a good option for some.

I don't get some of those permits from those states that I have to drive through because I may not want to go there at that specific time or when I do visit that state I want to be able to carry there for my protection.

Several of those states that require a permit holder to be a resident of the state will recognize the WI License. It will take some time but a lot of them will. FL recognized IA after they went Shall Issue and recognized their permit in less than a week I believe. The biggest benefit of getting the FL permit was to gain FL if you are going to get that state covered by WI, which unless the DOJ pulls something completely idiotic out, because WI will recognize FL's permit.

jpm84092

Fact - not Opinion.

There are six (6) states that will only honor resident permits. There is no way around this. They are Maine, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, Michigan, and Colorado. If you want to carry in those states and are not a resident of the state whose permits that these states honor, you have no recourse. My prediction is that MI will honor a WI permit because their law is that they honor all resident permits, FL may or may not honor a WI permit, but eventually will, same with NH, SC and ME will not honor a WI permit, and CO is a toss up.

A UT non-resident permit gets you MN. and WA (not covered by an AZ permit). An AZ permit gets you KS, NM, and NV (what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas). Hey, IAFarmboy, I do not like it that UT bowed to blackmail from TX, but the fact is that the UT/AZ combination is the best (unless you visit FL). This is fact, not opinion.

Do I believe that all states should honor the permits of all other states - yes - with the qualification that States Rights have a place in this debate. Do I believe that permits are necessary for a "right" - nope.

IA_farmboy

Hey, IAFarmboy, I do not like it that UT bowed to blackmail from TX, but the fact is that the UT/AZ combination is the best (unless you visit FL). This is fact, not opinion.

This is a "fact" only so long as one agrees with the constraints you have laid out in the first post. One's definition of "best" remains in the eyes of the beholder. It seems to me that you have placed too much emphasis on getting one or two more states with your choice of permits without actually thinking about whether or not one would actually want to travel there. Why should I care about permit recognition in Washington if I have no plans on going there?

If we wish to debate the "facts" at hand here then consider the one constraint you have in your definition of "best" is to reward good behavior of these states by purchasing their non-resident permits. Are you somehow pleased that Utah caved in to the blackmail from Texas? Is this behavior that YOU feel should be rewarded? Obviously I am not pleased. I ask this because you have stated that Arizona has done well with their permitting process, and recent passage of constitutional carry, and therefore one should reward their behavior by doing business with them.

I could argue that I am merely acting within the constraints you have created and found that the cost of the Utah permit does not produce enough benefit for the cost. An AZ permit gets me lawful carry in 32 states. There is no requirement for a photograph. No requirement that I submit a copy of my resident permit. A wide variety of training options are available to meet their training requirement. It's also cheaper than the Utah permit.

I placed this emphasis on recognition inside Minnesota because that seems to me to be the only reason I could come up with as to why someone in Wisconsin would bother with all the paperwork that Utah puts an applicant through. Why not just get the AZ permit now, get the WI resident permit later (for home state carry plus a couple more), and be done?

Do you always plan everything you do months in advance?

No, I don't plan EVERYTHING months in advance. I do tend to plan trips that will take me across multiple states months in advance though. I have to line up my vacation with my work. I'll have to set up places to stay the night, whether that be with friends, relatives, or get hotel reservations. If I'm flying then the airline tickets are certainly cheaper if bought in advance. A weekend stay in a neighboring state might involve a few days or weeks of advance planning but going beyond that seems to me would need a bit more advance planning.

Is that the issue here? That I make my travels plans in advance while others do not? If that is the case then why not put getting an Oregon permit on the "to do" list? You never know when you might get that desire to drive to Oregon, right? If that is the case then why are we striking Florida off the list? You just might find that need to go to Disney World before your WI resident permit comes in.

The "best" choice of out of state permits is a very personal choice. Claiming to have found the "best" choice for everyone is absurd. That is what I have been saying all along. Plan ahead and get only those permits you will need. If you have the time (and again I feel I must emphasize the "if") then wait for the WI permit law to go into effect and see what states grant recognition. There are probably 20+ states that will recognize the WI permit when it comes out, that might be enough for most people. If that is not enough then I would suspect that only one other permit is needed to get that handful of other states that one might reasonably be expected to travel through.

Let's have another look at a statement from the original post.
Everyone in Wisconsin should abandon thier Minnesota and Florida permits. Or atleast do not renew them when they expire.

So, one stated premise is that if one already has a FL or MN permit then one should abandon it. I can agree that the FL permit is quite expensive given the alternatives available now. What I am pointing out is that IF (again I emphasize "if") one already has a FL permit then it would seem that one has until the permit expires to figure out what is the "best" choice for them as a suitable replacement for the FL permit. One has potentially as long as seven years to see what the future holds. In that time it is quite likely we could see the laws change in a number of states, or federally, in our favor negating the need to get any permit excepting the WI resident permit.

Again I am still working inside the premise set out in the original post. Within those constraints set there is a possibility a certain Wisconsin resident may already have a MN and/or FL permit. If one has even one of those permits there does not seem to be any urgency to bother with the time and expense of getting a permit from either UT or AZ.

There I go again, writing way too much.

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

And none of them are recognized in FL, MI, CO, SC, NY, NJ, CA, or MA. The value of the permit is in the eye of the beholder. If the person does not plan to travel to NV or WA then the distinction is not a difference.

The way that you won't let go of this bone, I assumed you where a MADFI instructor.

The following is a chart that I put together that shows what states a non-resident permit is NOT recognized in. The red at the bottom are states that do not recognize any permit from any state. The yellow at the bottom are states that only recoginze resident permits. I posted a version of this earlier. I added ND to this one just for you.

One may never plan to go to either NV or WA, but may end up having to go there on short notice. I may never go to ND and I am not going to travel all the way to ND just to get ND training and apply for a ND permit. AZ/UT is the only non-resident permit combination that will be recognized in every state that recognizes non-resident permits and one can apply by mail.

Non-Resident Permit Comparison 2.0.gif

And I will bet you that FL & MI will recognize a WI permit. CO may reconize a WI permit, but there is slim chance SC, NH or ME will.

You have stated the goal is to save money.

I never stated the goal was to save money, I only pointed out that AZ/UT is cheaper than FL/MN. My point was what the best combination of two non-resident permits for Wisconsin residents. It's not about what states you plan on traveling to, but getting the best coverage as we may not forsee what states we will travel to.

I understand that some residents will never leave WI and others may only travel as far as IL or MN. I did not need to include a disclaimer for those because they can logically dicsern that they may never need AZ/UT or FL/MN permits, but ya never know.

Why should one be concerned about the fuel costs of traveling to a state to get a permit if they are traveling to that state anyway? The slight detour to a sheriff sounds to me like no more of a cost or inconvenience than going to the post office or grocery store.

Who ever said OR how can you assume that one will 'need or want' to travel in the state that they get a non-resident permit from? I may never travel to ND, IDK.

The information on usacarry.com must be out of date since they stated the fee was $25. I see the ND AG website shows $45. Not knowing the costs of the training I cannot rule this out as a viable alternative as you have done. With the license fees $20 or so less than the fees charged by UT and AZ there is that margin that can be used in getting the training and still saving money.

Still saving money. With all the training that I have received, I still have to pay for more? It would cost me over $120 in gas to drive there and back. How am I saving money?

usacarry.com has an awesome format, but some of their information is not up to date. I sent them an email, but I have not gotten a reply.

Again, getting to and from Minnesota for the permit application process should not be of a concern for people that are traveling to that state anyway for business or pleasure. I agree that the cost of recurring training must be considered. I would appreciate it if you would consider the cost of training when speaking of the costs of obtaining the UT and AZ permits. It seems you neglect the cost of training when doing so favors the AZ and UT permits.

What about those that don't travel to MN anyway for business of pleasure. Sheriff's offices are not open on weekends, are they?

I have not neglected the cost of training as to favor AZ and UT permits. All the permits that we have talked about require training. I have more training certificates than I could possibly need to apply for a permit. And training costs are very subjective. There is no set price for everyone.

But to quantify this for you. I paid $10 for Hunters Safety Education which qualifies in WI and AZ. I paid $75 for a UT class. For that UT class, I did pay an extra $25 to include MN, FL and NH for MN laws and live-fire qualifications. I do not plan on applying for either MN or FL, and although I may apply of NH, I did it just for the range time with an instructor and to see how I would do qualifiying. I love range time with an instructor.

There are other non-resident permits I may apply for if I end up traveling that way. Why would I? OTR Truck Driving.

Minnesota also accepts numerous types of training. The training must be offered by a trainer registered with the state but I have found that most every firearm trainer in the Midwest has filed the required paperwork with Minnesota. The MN and ND permits can be filed with a slight detour on ones travels through those states. If one is not traveling through MN or ND then they likely do not need multiple permits anyway.

That is the stupidest thing I have read from you. What about the 32 other states they would be recognized in. Or with AZ/UT 33 other states.

It's not a slight detour if you are not going that way to begin with. Again for convience, AZ/UT can be mailed. MN application has to be made in person on a business day. For ND, training and application must be done in person in ND.

Every one that I know that has non-resident permits has one or all of the following: FL UT MN. Noone I know has ND non-resident permit. AZ used to require training in state like ND. That is why it WAS as popular as ND. But when AZ became a Constitutional Carry state, and that changed. Now AZ is on it's way of becoming a very popular non-resident permit. I would pay twice what a MN permit would cost me for an AZ permit just to have one. Like I said before, I want to do business with a state that is leading the nation in the Constitutional Carry movement. I won't be giving MN any of my money.

I did not realize anyone did fingerprinting for free. If that is readily available in WI then I can understand not including that in the cost. I will dispute the validity of claiming the photos can be obtained for "free" since I'm not so sure that these licensing agencies will accept a photo printed on a consumer grade ink jet printer. Also, not everyone has a digital camera and color printer available to them. If you don't include them as a cost then I would ask that you at least make note that the application process includes the need for a photo so that people can determine the total costs that they personally will have to pay. Just because something is free for you does not mean it's free for everyone else too.

Many consumer grade ink jet printers do print photos on photo paper. If not, take your digital photo to the photo center at Wal-mart and have them printed real cheap.

It costs me $50 in gas to make a round trip to Minnesota in my personal vehicle. What was your cost for fingerprints and photos that I would be saving?

On business, I cannot be taking detours in a CMV. And I have no idea where I will end up for a 34HR Restart if I don't make it home.

Last edited:

IA_farmboy

One may never plan to go to either NV or WA, but may end up having to go there on short notice.

One answer to that is if one does feel that they might suddenly feel the need to travel to those states then, yes, a UT permit might be the best option.

Another answer to that is if someone feels they might suddenly find themselves in another state then why pick on only those two? Would not California or Oregon be just as likely? If that is the case then one should feel compelled to get a CA and a OR permit as well.

Yet one more answer is that NV and WA are unlicensed open carry states, problem solved.

I may never go to ND and I am not going to travel all the way to ND just to get ND training and apply for a ND permit.

Then don't get the ND permit. It's an option for those that travel. You have already stated that people with a MN permit should abandon it. If people are willing to get a MN permit to carry in MN then I see no reason to assume that these same people would be opposed to getting the ND permit to carry in ND.

AZ/UT is the only non-resident permit combination that will be recognized in every state that recognizes non-resident permits and one can apply by mail.

Now you are just changing the "rules". If people have a MN permit then they would have had to travel to get a permit. I would assume this process would be part of their normal travels in that state.

And I will bet you that FL & MI will recognize a WI permit. CO may reconize a WI permit, but there is slim chance SC, NH or ME will.

Agreed. But if people are willing to travel to MN to get a permit there then they should be willing to travel to any other state to get the non-resident permit.

Still saving money. With all the training that I have received, I still have to pay for more? It would cost me over $120 in gas to drive there and back. How am I saving money?

If you are not going to travel to that state then you don't need the permit. If you are already going to that state then take the time to get the permit. I'm not suggesting people make a special trip, just take the time to get the permit while you are there.

The money savings comes in buying only those permits you need and no more.

What about those that don't travel to MN anyway for business of pleasure.

If one is not going to travel in MN they why bother with the MN or UT permits?

I have not neglected the cost of training as to favor AZ and UT permits. All the permits that we have talked about require training. I have more training certificates than I could possibly need to apply for a permit. And training costs are very subjective. There is no set price for everyone.

I would not use the word "subjective" but rather "variable" but I get your point. AZ and MN allow for a much wider variety of training options and therefore much greater chance to save on costs. UT has one course that all must take and, because of market forces, the prices are much less variable.

There are other non-resident permits I may apply for if I end up traveling that way. Why would I? OTR Truck Driving.

Everyone else does not travel as much as you do. That is why I encourage people to think carefully to avoid buying a permit they may not need and/or spend more than they need to.

That is the stupidest thing I have read from you. What about the 32 other states they would be recognized in. Or with AZ/UT 33 other states.

If you are not going there then why do you need the permit?

It's not a slight detour if you are not going that way to begin with.

If you are not going there then why do you need the permit?

Like I said before, I want to do business with a state that is leading the nation in the Constitutional Carry movement. I won't be giving MN any of my money.

Like I said before I don't like how Utah has been handling things so I won't give them any more of my money. This is a decision based on personal principles and therefore is a personal decision.

Many consumer grade ink jet printers do print photos on photo paper. If not, take your digital photo to the photo center at Wal-mart and have them printed real cheap.

Cheap is not free.

It costs me $50 in gas to make a round trip to Minnesota in my personal vehicle. What was your cost for fingerprints and photos that I would be saving?

Then don't go to Minnesota. This is a personal decision. I know many people that travel regularly to Minnesota. For those people it seems to me that they could save some money by getting the MN permit instead of the UT permit. With UT changing their permit laws one cannot be assured that MN will recognize the UT permit. We can be reasonably assured that MN will continue to recognize their own permit. For people that live in the Midwest it seems much more likely they'd find themselves in Minnesota while traveling than Utah.

On business, I cannot be taking detours in a CMV. And I have no idea where I will end up for a 34HR Restart if I don't make it home.

Then don't make the detour. This is a personal decision. As much as you are holding on to the superiority of the UT permit it's making me think you are selling UT permit training.

The AZ/UT permit combo is not going to be the best solution for everyone. With so many states out there that recognize just about any resident permit I'm starting to think that there is very little need to even get an out of state permit.

With the AZ, MN, and UT permits costing somewhere around $100 in fees, documents, training and etc. it seems to me that someone that wants to get the best deal might just want to pick one and be done. The first permit (and therefor the first $100) will get recognition in somewhere between 20+ and 30+ states. The second permit (and perhaps another $100) will get a person another three, or maybe a dozen more. There is diminishing returns with every additional permit. This diminishing returns is compounded if those states gained are not ones that the person in question feels they have any intention to visit.

It's great that you found the best solution for yourself. I believe that sharing this experience with others has value. What I dispute is that your solution is the best solution for everyone else. This is especially true since part of your decision is based on personal principles. Not everyone shares your ideals, I certainly don't.

I am also disputing how you have calculated the costs of these permits. Not everyone has access to a digital camera. Even if they do the process of creating a photo fitting the specifications of the UT license authority is not trivial. With the cost difference between these permits being so small that cost can make the difference in your claim of "cheaper".

Take my situation for example. I was in the military so I have a DD-214 form to show many of these license authorities as proof of meeting their training requirements. When I decided to get a permit to carry I added up the fees, document costs, training costs, etc. In my calculations the FL permit was the cheapest since it meant I did not have to get any other training. At the time a UT/MN training course was being offered for $80. That training cost was enough to make the FL permit look cheap by comparison. Even though the FL permit worked out so well for me I know better than to claim that it's the best solution for everyone else.

Brokensprocket, I believe you need to back up a bit and take another look at what you propose. Not everyone lives like you do. Not everyone travels as much as you do. Not everyone is so opposed to taking trips to another state to get a permit like you are. Some people might even like the idea of going to North Dakota to take the live fire test, that could just be entertainment for them.

Again, it sounds like you found a great deal for yourself and felt the need to tell others about it. Nothing wrong with that. There is a problem with telling me I'm stupid because I don't share your enthusiasm.

jpm84092

There is a saying - those who die with the most toys win. It is a stupid saying. The companion saying is that those whose permits cover the most states win.

But, I think what Broken Sprocket was trying to communicate is that with most states being "shall issue", but a significant portion being "may issue" (and most of them do not honor any other state's permit or issue non-resident permits - California, New Jersey, New York, etc - or Oregon who will only issue a non-resident permit to a resident of a state that shares a border with OR) persons who may travel may also wish to have "coverage" in the most states possible, after taking into account their financial restraints.

After all, is a couple of dollars difference in application or course fees worth denying you and your loved ones the right to carry in a state that you may or may not visit - once you are actually visiting that state? The MN permit is good in MN, but compared to other permits is pretty weak in nationwide coverage. That is fact; not opinion. *(Source: www.handgunlaw.us - second source - www.usacarry.com )

IA Farmboy, I get it that you are really pissed off about UT changing their law to require residents of "shall issue" states that also recognize the UT permit to have a "home state" permit in order to get a UT permit. UT did this because Texas complained that Texas residents who owed child support were carrying on a UT Permit because they could not get a TX permit (because they owe child support). And, if one is a slacker on child support, what does that say about their overall character? (Let the reader decide.)

And, my personal opinion is that TX should have changed their law rather than blackmailing UT to change their law. But, as a UT resident, I have no complaint that UT changed their law to preserve reciprocity in TX. And really Farmboy, are you arguing that it would have been better for TX to drop recognition of a UT permit just to avoid the change to UT law? If so, that is a selfish position to take. You are already covered in TX by virtue of your FL permit. So am I because I have a FL permit. But, if I only had a UT permit, and you had your way, I would have to disarm at the Texas border. I have always assumed that as an Iowa resident you also have an IA permit. Do you? If so, your UT renewal is a fraction of your FL renewal fee. So, even if you are arguing "on principle", the argument is not supported by the facts for those who want a permit combination that covers the most states for the least dollars. The UT/AZ combination wins; provided that the UT training fees are reasonable.

My closing comment to this post as a UT resident and UT CFP Instructor is - hey IA Farm Boy, if you do not like the UT permit or UT law, DO NOT RENEW - PLEASE - DO NOT RENEW YOUR UTAH CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT. We here in UT do not want or need your $15 renewal fee. For every one of you, there are 10,000 on the East Coast (NY, NJ, CT, NH, PA, etc) who would love to have your UT permit and pay up to $250 per class to get one + fingerprint fees on the East Coast, + photo fee. Please do a search on the website of the New York Times for Utah Concealed Firearm Permit to read the many stories published by the NYT regarding East Coast residents who line up to get the UT permit. But, after all that, please DO NOT RENEW your UT Permit. And, to continue your logic train and attacks on Brokensprocket - DO NOT GET AN AZ PERMIT either. Pay the money to renew your FL permit and retake the training to renew your MN permit. AND - please do not presume to lecture other forum members on what may or may not be right for their individual situations.

IA_farmboy

... please do not presume to lecture other forum members on what may or may not be right for their individual situations.

I'm not sure where this comes from. I reread this thread and I see that I have stated many times that people need to decide for themselves which permits to get. I have not been telling people what to do but rather informing people of their options. Permits from states like ND and MN could be cheaper than those from AZ and UT. I felt it important to point that out after Brokensprocket has implied that AZ and UT are the cheapest anyone can find. Depending on your situation, the training you have already taken, the states you travel to, and the permits you have already obtained, the costs of obtaining the permits one needs will change.

I gave myself as an example. Being a military veteran, traveling to the NRA annual meeting in NC, the FL permit was the cheapest option for me at the time. Now that IA offers a shall issue permit valid in 25+ states I am doubting my need to renew any of my out of state permits. I suspect that there are plenty of people in Wisconsin that will come to the same conclusion once they get the shall issue permits.

I have also said many times the cheapest option is NOT getting a permit. There are many states that allow for unlicensed open carry. There are also many states that one has no plans to visit. There is still one state, one that shares a border with Wisconsin, that will not allow for the lawful carry of a firearm no matter how many permits you get. This is all something that one needs to consider before getting any permit.

Also, while rereading this thread I saw the following again and had another thought.

There are six (6) states that will only honor resident permits. There is no way around this. They are Maine, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, Michigan, and Colorado. If you want to carry in those states and are not a resident of the state whose permits that these states honor, you have no recourse.

There is another way besides getting a resident permit to carry, in four of those six states get the non-resident permit from that state. If a person desires to travel while armed in Florida the only choice for a Wisconsin resident right now is the Florida permit. In a matter of weeks the option of getting a WI permit becomes available. Which brings up another thing I have mentioned many times, if you can wait to get a permit then wait because things are changing relatively quickly when it comes to right to carry laws.

We here in UT do not want or need your $15 renewal fee. For every one of you, there are 10,000 on the East Coast (NY, NJ, CT, NH, PA, etc) who would love to have your UT permit and pay up to $250 per class to get one + fingerprint fees on the East Coast, + photo fee.

I have no reason to doubt your claim. I am just pointing out that those people that live in shall issue states (like IA, WI, and MN) will be required by UT to show proof of having a resident permit to apply. Most of the states you mention do not have shall issue laws so then they will not be required to show proof of a resident permit. Those people will not have the same privacy concerns that I have because of it. People in Wisconsin, once the shall issue law takes effect, will have to deal with the potential hassle, cost, delays, and loss of privacy in getting the UT permit. If one does not share my concerns in privacy then the UT permit is certainly an option.

Also, principles or not the cost of some of the other permits are still cheaper than the UT permit. This is something I have also mentioned several times before. If one is not concerned about travel to states like WA or ND the MN permit is available for as little as $50 if the claims of people posting here is to be believed. That's cheaper than the UT permit and still gets one a permit that is recognized in 20+ states. If it's the "right" states (such as KS and/or NM) then one would not have to bother with the AZ permit, saving even more money.

I feel I must mention this again, IF (emphasis on the "if") one does not plan to travel out of state soon, or they still have valid out of state permits already, then wait just a few more weeks to see what happens with the WI permit. It won't be long until WI residents can get a permit in their home state. I feel I can safely assume that WI residents that wish to carry concealed out of state will also wish to do so in their home state. With that in mind WI residents can just wait until the details of the WI permit get worked out and see what states recognize that permit. I suspect more than 20 states will do so. I suspect that MN won't be among them. If that is the case then the options are to get a permit from UT or MN. Then one is going to have to decide which costs more, the gas to file in MN personally (assuming one makes a special trip for that purpose) or the extra fees to get the UT permit.

One must also look to the future and reflect on their principles. How much do you value the privacy of your permit to carry records? How much value do you place in not having to submit to fingerprinting? What do you believe the chances are of a law like HR 822 passing before your out of state permit expires? What do you believe the chances are of permitless carry passing in the states you visit? How much will it cost to renew if these laws don't pass before the permit expires? These are things that one is just going to have to decide on their own. Who knows, in a couple years from now the people in Wisconsin might be talking about how they wish they hadn't wasted their money on permits now that MN, NV, and IL have passed constitutional carry laws.

I'm not TELLING anyone what to do. I am providing options. I am filling in some of the details that Brokensprocket has neglected to mention. I am giving my own experiences as examples. Most of all I am asking people to stop and think so they don't waste their money on a permit they will not need. Then again, it's your money, why should I care?

BROKENSPROKET

[video=youtube_share;LwbL_jl0xxo]http://youtu.be/LwbL_jl0xxo[/video]

Think of them as insurance. First, cover all the states that you can with non-resident permits. AZ/UT gets the most states. I consider this as one Primary and one Companion. This is you baseline coverage. And as this Dr./Instructor suggests, get back-up permits. In my opinion, MN would be a good Back-up permit, not a Primary or Companion.

Last edited:

jpm84092

Sage Advice

The more permits you have in your possession, the more insurance that you can continue to carry you have. Marvelous advice. (Great video Sprocket - thanks for sharing.)

Wisconsin residents need to be mindful that while 2 or 3 years from now the WI Attorney General may have executed reciprocity agreements with the FL Commissioner of Fish and Wildlife, the MN Attorney General, the Colorado Attorney General and other Attorneys General of other States, (you get the idea), the process of other States recognizing a WI permit will be a slow process (except for UT and the other 9 states that recognize all permits + VT, AZ, and AK that do not require permits.) And, States are in a state of flux regarding which other States they recognize. (Example: NM dropping UT because they do not require a live shoot.) WI residents also need to be mindful that a Democratic Attorney General that might be elected in the future may "sit on his hands" in soliciting reciprocity with other States.

Another person who regularly posts on this forum, but is not a Wisconsin resident, has suggested that the UT Permit is something that should be avoided because UT now requires residents of "shall issue" States that also recognize the UT permit to send in a copy of their home state permit when they apply for a UT permit. No one knows when or if Wisconsin will recognize a UT permit, including the individual I have alluded to, so the advice to avoid a UT permit is premature. (Although, I personally suspect that because UT requires training and is one of the "super six" that repeat the background check every day; 365 days a year, I suspect that WI will put UT very close to the top of the list of those States whose permits are honored in WI. But that is just my opinion.)

Bottom line, fact and not opinion, is that the more non-resident permits a WI resident holds (or any resident of any State has), the more flexibility that individual has. The initial $65 non-resident permit application fee for a UT non-resident permit (+ photo and fingerprint costs if you cannot find a free source) may well be worth the $0.04 dollars per day (including $9 for photo and $15 for fingerprinting) the UT permit costs you. The same permit from FL (assumes $9 for photos and $15 for fingerprinting) is $0.06 per day - and takes into account that the FL permit is good for 7 years. The AZ permit, with $0.00 for photo and $15 for fingerprints is $0.038/day. So the UT + AZ permit cost is $0.08/day. Eight cents per day for this permit combination.

UT + FL costs are then $0.10 per day. The UT + AZ permit combination is 2 cents per day cheaper than the UT + FL combination, even though the FL permit is a 7 year permit. I cannot do a reasonable MN + FL calculation because of the differences in training costs and application fees pointed out by a previous poster.

No matter how you slice and dice it, if you can afford multiple permits, Wisconsin residents should get the WI permit for $50 and the combination they deem most appropriate to get the most coverage in the most States. Right now, that means the UT + AZ combination. (Keeping in mind that having a UT permit satisfies the AZ training requirement and thus qualifies a person for an AZ permit.)

I recognize that finances play a role, but as a UT resident who frequently travels to WI to see family and friends, I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to disarm in IA just before reaching the IL border and remain disarmed in WI. Peace of mind is affected. That will change on November 1, 2011 and I will likely go North in IA and enter WI from IA with no need to disarm. (YIPPEE!)

IA_farmboy

Interesting video Brokensprocket. Interesting because it contradicts at least one of your claims. You claim that one should not get the MN & FL permits because of cost, reciprocity agreements, etc. Dr. Eimer suggests getting as many permits as you can. What sticks out to me is why he suggest getting so many permits, it's because of the shifting rules, laws, and policies that affect the recognition of these permits. While I do not agree with Dr. Eimer on the need to get as many permits as one can, I do agree with him on the constantly shifting rules on permit recognition.

In my mind one can create three "tiers" of states when it comes to traveling. The first tier are those that one is very likely to visit because of proximity or because there is a desired destination in that state. Proximity is included because even though one might not travel TO the state there is a good chance one must travel THROUGH to get to their desired destination. Second tier states include those that one might have to travel through because of proximity and the paths of major highways. These would be states in between tier one states when one has options to travel around. Tier three states are those that one is much less likely to visit because they are far away and one has no plans to visit.

For people in WI, IA, and other Midwest states, MN is a tier one state. Even if one does not plan to travel to MN it is in the path to most other destinations and includes a major airport. Taking the point made by Dr. Eimer on the continuous shifting of recognition of permits it would seem wise to make getting a MN permit a priority. If you have a MN permit it WILL be valid in MN. Because it is valid in 20+ other states it also makes for a good backup in many states. Also, because the list of permits recognized in MN is quite short, and subject to shifting laws/rules/policies, this makes getting a MN permit even more important for people living in the Midwest.

States on the coasts will land in tier one or three just because of geography. Unless you are planning a trip to one of these states one is not likely to just happen to end up there. This is why I place little priority on permit recognition in states like FL, CA, OR, WA, AZ, NY, NJ, PA, and so on. I'd tend to even put states like UT and NV in tier three since unless one plans on a trip to, for example, Las Vegas.

To avoid issues of loss of recognition I would suggest getting permits in as many tier one states as one can. There aren't that many states that really offer non-resident permits. Of those states that do offer non-resident permits quite a few do so on a may-issue basis (which typically mean "no-issue") and others do so only if specific conditions are met (such as owning real property in the state). This leaves very few real choices.

Thankfully most every state that would fall into tier two for most people (landlocked states) are also those states that tend to recognize a wide variety of permits to carry. A large number of these states also recognize the MN permit. So, even if MN is not a tier one state for you it does make it a valuable tier two state permit to own.

Dr. Eimer's advice on needing a "backup" permit becomes moot in my mind if one has a permit from that state. It does become an issue when one cannot get a non-resident permit. In that case one might want to get a back-up permit for those tier one states. If that is not an option then it would seem wise to lean toward tier two states since that reduces the need for more "backup" permits. For people in the Midwest tier two states would be ND, IN, and maybe UT. IN restricts their issuance of non-resident permits so much that this is not an option for many.

It seems to me that one would choose to get a permit from a tier three state only once the options from tiers one and two were exhausted. For most people I suspect a tier three state permit would be unnecessary since a resident permit, and a tier one non-resident permit, would provide two permits that can backup each other for most any state one will likely visit.

That is another lengthy explanation on why I encourage people in the Midwest to get a MN permit over the UT permit. While I can understand Dr. Eimer's opinion that one should get as many permits as one can I will point out that one should spend their money wisely. There is diminishing returns with each permit obtained. I can understand the desire to get a backup permit for those states that do not offer non-resident permits I just feel that more is not necessarily better.

Again I will say that the WI resident permit will come out in a matter of weeks. IF (emphasis on "if") one can wait then I encourage you to do so. It is quite possible that one will still have a chance to get an out of state permit if one needs to for travels on New Year's eve.

BROKENSPROKET

Interesting video Brokensprocket. Interesting because it contradicts at least one of your claims. You claim that one should not get the MN & FL permits because of cost, reciprocity agreements, etc. .

I started reading your post, but I did not read the rest. And I wont.

My main point was not cost. However, I did point out the AZ/UT is cheaper than FL/MN. You keep trying to make debate to MN vs. UT permits based on cost only. . In my view, in either, its is FL and AZ which are the primary permits and MN and UT, respectively are the prime companion for several reasons. It's AZ & UT vs. FL & MN.

Everyone can make thier own choice on what permits work best for them. Now, they can be better informed.

IA_farmboy

I started reading your post, but I did not read the rest. And I wont.

My main point was not cost. However, I did point out the AZ/UT is cheaper than FL/MN. You keep trying to make debate to MN vs. UT permits based on cost only. . In my view, in either, its is FL and AZ which are the primary permits and MN and UT, respectively are the prime companion for several reasons. It's AZ & UT vs. FL & MN.

Everyone can make thier own choice on what permits work best for them. Now, they can be better informed.

Perhaps you should read my last post since I made no mention of cost. I also made no mention of the UT policy of requiring resident permits. I made the argument on how likely the permits will be used. It's also about more than UT/AZ vs. MN/FL. There is also the ND, PA, NV, and TX permits to consider. Depending on where one travels, how one travels, and their comfort level with open carry, as well as cost, one must decide which permits work best for them.

I'm glad to see you've softened your stance on the viability of the MN and FL permits especially after having called me stupid for disagreeing with you before. Getting a FL permit is not "stupid" if one is driving to Florida for vacation since not even with all of the states covered by the UT and AZ permits do those permits allow one to lawfully carry in Florida. Getting ND and MN permits is not "stupid" if one travels through those states often.

As much as you like to argue that the pairings of AZ/UT and FL/MN are somehow "best" I've been seeing how many others have made the claim that UT/FL make the best pair of permits to own. AZ does get you carry in NV but FL gets you carry in FL. Of course no one is limited to having just two permits, getting AZ, MN, and FL gets one the ability to carry in 34 states.

If we take Dr. Eimer's advice the "best" solution is to get them all.

jpm84092

My Situation is Unique with respect to the UT permit.

The UT permit works best for me because I live in UT. That means that, as a UT resident with a UT permit, my UT permit is good in FL, CO, NH, and MI. (Not good in SC or ME.) And, my UT permit gets me into MN. (MN is not covered by any of my other permits making the MN permit desirable as a back up, but cost prohibitive because I have to travel to MN to get one. Still, I have not ruled this out because while MN does recognize a UT permit, there is no formal written agreement between UT and MN.) My AZ permit adds NM and KS not covered by my UT permit with redundancy from my FL permit. I visit a friend in FL who lives in a GFSZ so I will likely keep my FL permit active. I will let my PA permit lapse due to the requirement to travel to PA to renew it (that is unless PA gets acceptance from another State I am not currently covered under).

While I understand your tiered system IA Farmboy, my own motivation is coverage in as many states as I can get - just in case I ever might have to visit them. The only exception to this is Maine where the application process is onerous and only gets me Maine. (And the ME permit is only a 4-year permit.) Still, I may get one to fulfill my goal of the "most States".

I have thought about the TX license as a back up for MN, but the requirement to get fingerprinted electronically (and I have to go to TX to do it) has slowed that thought process down. Still, if I have a reason to visit TX, I may indeed do it, even thought I am well covered in TX by my other permits.

So, while we do not agree on much, IA-Farm Boy and I do agree that each individual must evaluate his/her situation and personal goals and make selections based on those goals. In the mean time, I will continue to visit my friends and family in WI and offer bargain basement course fees for both the UT CFP Course and NRA courses. This means, using IA Farm Boy's tiered system, my "primary states" are UT, WY, NE, IA, and WI (if I hang a left before the IL border and stay in IA where my UT permit is good until hitting WI.) I sincerely doubt that IL will allow its own citizens or travelers to defend themselves against bad guys any time soon.

Yellow Cat Out -

IA_farmboy

The UT permit works best for me because I live in UT.

I would expect a resident of UT to get a UT permit. I believe that UT does not recognize non-resident permits held by UT residents. Unlike states like TX and PA that do allow residents to lawfully carry in the state with an out of state permit the residents of UT have only one choice in permits to lawfully carry.

UT residents are not required to show extra documentation like non-resident applicants. My complaint about the UT system is based on the unequal treatment between non-residents and residents. I am upset that the UT legislators changed the law and I am also upset that UT residents and courts are willing to let the law stand. As I have made my case on this before I'll stop here before I go into another rant.

While I understand your tiered system IA Farmboy, my own motivation is coverage in as many states as I can get - just in case I ever might have to visit them. The only exception to this is Maine where the application process is onerous and only gets me Maine. (And the ME permit is only a 4-year permit.) Still, I may get one to fulfill my goal of the "most States".

My motivation is to get coverage in as many states as I can reasonably expect to visit. You may not admit to it but it appears you have come to the same conclusion.

I have thought about the TX license as a back up for MN, but the requirement to get fingerprinted electronically (and I have to go to TX to do it) has slowed that thought process down. Still, if I have a reason to visit TX, I may indeed do it, even thought I am well covered in TX by my other permits.

The NRA annual meeting will be in TX in 2013. I've considered getting the TX permit then since I'll be in the state anyway. The permit costs $140 unless one qualifies for one of the discounted rates, of which there are many. From what I can tell the training costs about $100 but that cost can be effectively lowered since many other states will recognize it as valid training for their own permit.

So, while we do not agree on much, IA-Farm Boy and I do agree that each individual must evaluate his/her situation and personal goals and make selections based on those goals. In the mean time, I will continue to visit my friends and family in WI and offer bargain basement course fees for both the UT CFP Course and NRA courses. This means, using IA Farm Boy's tiered system, my "primary states" are UT, WY, NE, IA, and WI (if I hang a left before the IL border and stay in IA where my UT permit is good until hitting WI.)

As an NRA trainer I would suggest getting registered in MN as a trainer. I suspect that there are quite a few WI residents that would appreciate you doing so to make getting the MN permit easier. I also suspect that WI residents would be willing to pay you for that convenience, willing to pay enough to make it worth your time. I have no idea what it takes to be a MN recognized trainer so I could be completely mistaken on the benefits. It seems to me that your competition has found getting registered in MN advantageous.

I sincerely doubt that IL will allow its own citizens or travelers to defend themselves against bad guys any time soon.

Yellow Cat Out -

I do not share your doubts. From what I have heard and read there is a considerable effort to get concealed carry in Illinois. I suspect we could see it come next year. Being the only state in the union without any lawful means to carry tools of self defense outside of the home does make for some seriously bad PR. Quite a few IL politicians are fighting for their careers right now, concealed carry will be an issue with an election coming up next year.

jpm84092

Some forum members are under a miss-impression. UT will honor any State's permit, whether carried by a non-resident of UT or a resident of UT. The issue of TX is why UT changed its' law. In my own mind, this is not the "big deal" that others have made it out to be because I believe TX has the right to restrict permits when applicants owe back child support in TX - and that is the chief issue behind Texas blackmailing UT into insisting on TX residents first having a TX permit. Please tell me if your position is that UT should have resisted the TX blackmail so that TX citizens who owe back child support can circumvent TX law. (If so, is this because you the IA Farmboy owes back child support? Inquiring minds want to know.)

I have contacted the MN association for training, but they have not returned my email to them. I have done this twice with no response from them.

And I retain my right to doubt that IL will join the ranks of States that are "shall issue". If anything, they may get a law passed that is at least as restrictive as NJ or NY. (Meaning that substantial contributors to the political party represented by a jack-ass may get permits, but nobody else will.)