Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart Store #4413 on Saron Drive, Lexington, KY - DO NOT PATRONIZE

Wal-Mart Store #4413 on Saron Drive, Lexington, KY - DO NOT PATRONIZE

I was out at my local Wal-Mart store today picking up a few items and was approached by a manager and told I was not allowed to openly carry my pistol while shopping in their store. I tired to explain to the manager that I was under the impression that Wal-Mart Corporate policy is that each Wal-Mart location adheres to State Law in the states they are located. I have written an email to Wal-Mart Corporate and will keep you guys apprised of any response I receive.

Email I sent Below:

To Whom It May Concern:

This evening (Sunday August 29th @ 8:15 PM) I was shopping at your Wal-Mart Location on Saron Dr. in Lexington, KY. Store #4413. During my shopping I was approached by the manager and told that I was not allowed to carry my sidearm openly in their store. I was told that this was Wal-Mart Corporate Policy for ALL of your stores country wide. I tried to explain to the manager that it is Wal-Mart's policy to follow state law where each store is located. I was told this is not correct. I belong to a forum online called OpenCarry.org with 50,000+ members who have had extensive contact with other managers at different stores and I was under the impression that each Wal-Mart location adhered to State Law regarding the open carry of personal defense weapons (pistol). Can you clarify the Corporate Policy for Wal-Mart in the State of Kentucky for me at your earliest convenience? I will state, that him approaching me had nothing to do with any customer complaints (I had been in the store less that 30 seconds) Due to being with my sister, who has limited mobility and had already begun placing items in her basket, I chose to return to the parking lot and place my sidearm in my vehicle. I will however, no longer patronize this store unless a satisfactory resolution can be reached. I will also be placing Wal-Mart store #4413 on a "DO NOT PATRONIZE" list on OpenCarry.org and similar forums to let the general public know that this particular Wal-Mart location does not support the second amendment and/or the individuals right to protect themselves or their loved ones while shopping at your store. If the manager was mistaken and this IS NOT Wal-Mart's policy I would appreciate some sort of communication from corporate to this store to correct them on their "policy." Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

-Savage206

**EDIT** I brielfy did look for any signs saying that carrying my firearm was not allowed and saw none.
    Last edited by Savage206; 08-28-2011 at 09:02 PM.

That sucks you had to take your pistol back but keep us updated ! ! !

I asked him and it was like Walter or Michael or something....honestly I was pretty pissed and I forgot... I would remember him if I saw him and when I get a response from corporate I plan on going back.

I do remember asking him for his last name and he got an attitude and said " my first name is all you need..." I then said "wow thanks for being so cooperative...." On my way out one of his employees came up as he was gathering carts and gave me a pseudo apology for his manager. Imagine that, an employe apologizing for his supervisor. I thanked that guy and left.
    Last edited by Savage206; 08-29-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage206 View Post
    I asked him and it was like Walter or Michael or something....honestly I was pretty pissed and I forgot... I would remember him if I saw him and when I get a response from corporate I plan on going back.

I do remember asking him for his last name and he got an attitude and said " my first name is all you need..." I then said "wow thanks for being so cooperative...." On my way out one of his employees came up as he was gathering carts and gave me a pseudo apology for his manager. Imagine that, an employe apologizing for his supervisor. I thanked that guy and left.
    You are correct Savage, WM's policy is that their stores are to follow the laws of the states in which they operate. I've even got a voicemail from their "Market Office" (corporate) states as such! This manager is far off base. You did the correct thing in contacting WM coroporate office though.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Keep me up to date on what's going on. I've shopped at that walmart several times while ocing. So I'd loke to know what you find out.

You guys should organize an OC DAY at That Walmart.. 50 people walk in at the same time..let's see em kick you out then...
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK21GB View Post
    You guys should organize an OC DAY at That Walmart.. 50 people walk in at the same time..let's see em kick you out then...

now THAT would be fun!! If I have enough people that are interested, I will for sure organize that. any opportunity to educate the ignorant sheeple is time well spent in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroblades View Post
    You are correct Savage, WM's policy is that their stores are to follow the laws of the states in which they operate. I've even got a voicemail from their "Market Office" (corporate) states as such! This manager is far off base. You did the correct thing in contacting WM coroporate office though.
    I read somewhere on a different forum that WM may have changed their policy and now leaves it up to each District Manager to decide in their district. I will absolutely let you know what I find out though. Thanks for the kind words. My family thinks I am silly for pursuing this but I refuse to lie down for self-empowered know-it-alls. I am an American and take that responsibility seriously.

I read somewhere on a different forum that WM may have changed their policy and now leaves it up to each District Manager to decide in their district. I will absolutely let you know what I find out though. Thanks for the kind words. My family thinks I am silly for pursuing this but I refuse to lie down for self-empowered know-it-alls. I am an American and take that responsibility seriously.
    Walmart has not changed their policy. They still have a corporate policy governing all stores. I worked there as an operations manager until very recently when I accepted a new job.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

If you decide to organize that let me know. I'd be interested for sure

Me Too!, I drive by that store every day, so count me in!

I would love to meet some other open carrier's but sadly that store is a bit over 4 hours of driving for me to get to.

Too far from paintsville.

Good luck though!

The walmart here in paintsville, prestonsburg and pikeville seem cool with it.
    As does Foodcity and Biglots, K-mart and gamestop.

If we were to organize in this fashion, I think it may be bad PR for OC. I think we would come off as gun brandishing bullies trying to get their way when in reality we're the ones being bullied. Maybe we should do an OC litter pick up for Walmart? It's certainly important to stand up for one's rights, we just need to do it in a positive way. Keep in mind, the media is often watching and often likes to sensationalize--especially in liberal fashion.

Cool

I live in Floyd County and haven't open carried in Walmart yet. I've only been carrying a few days now, but I've seen several people carry here in the store with no problem. GIVE'EM HELL MAN! LOL STAND YOUR GROUND!
    I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston (1923 -- 2008)

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand be faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had a gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. ~ The Gunfighter’s Prayer

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Titan357 View Post
    I would love to meet some other open carrier's but sadly that store is a bit over 4 hours of driving for me to get to.

Too far from paintsville.

Good luck though!

The walmart here in paintsville, prestonsburg and pikeville seem cool with it.
    As does Foodcity and Biglots, K-mart and gamestop.
    It took quite awhile to get P-burg Food City that way! *LOL* As well as Paintsville WM. Yiou should stop in P-burg FC OC'ing. It would be great to get to see and meet others that are OC'ing locally.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

I'm only 45mins from the store in question; would be happy to tag along for any sort of OC event in Lexington... Just promise me I won't be dragged off in hand-cuffs xD

Also; could someone cite, or link a Ky Law, or KRS verse that gives us the right/ability to OC within a store? That would be useful to me when I do decide to OC in the local walmart.

Thanks~
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

I love that explanation, Gutshot. It is very telling of the society these days how often I hear a request for a law saying something is legal. Philosophically speaking.... If there were no laws there'd be no crime.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

Wal-Mart Liberalism

Store manager's name is on the top of every receipt.
    Boomer
    Last edited by Boomer1948; 09-05-2011 at 07:25 PM.

I open carried the other day in Walmart at Prestonsburg, KY and never had a word said to me. I think it all depends on where you live in Kentucky. Seems like central and western KY Walmarts are always giving people trouble carrying their guns. Eastern Kentucky seems more laid back.
    I'll give you my gun when you take it from my cold, dead hands! ~ Charlton Heston (1923 -- 2008)

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand be faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had a gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. ~ The Gunfighter’s Prayer

I've been in banks in Bullitt and Jefferson counties and even in the city of Louisville and so far, not even a word. Took care of business just like any other Joe.

One in particular close to the west end of Louisville even had thick bullet proof glass surrounding the tellers. Guess they understood my reasoning, I probably didn't fit the profile and they didn't have anything to worry about anyway with the glass LOL.

so it has been awhile and I have not had an update for this thread so I figured I would let you guys know. I never received a response from Wal-Mart Corporate about this incident. I think we need to officially add this one to the DO NOT PATRONIZE list. I have not been back since and have no plans to.

Quote Originally Posted by mem1977 View Post
    I open carried the other day in Walmart at Prestonsburg, KY and never had a word said to me. I think it all depends on where you live in Kentucky. Seems like central and western KY Walmarts are always giving people trouble carrying their guns. Eastern Kentucky seems more laid back.
    I've noticed that in alot of cases, the gun owner's mentality, age, and attitude seem to have alot to do with these situations. I'm definitely NOT ragging on ANYONE here, it's just an observation of mine.

I've read about some having issues in places that I've openly carried in without a single word from shoppers or management. I guess it has to do with the principle of dealing with animals, they can sense fear or indecision,they can tell when someone is OC'ing and they're not sure of themselves because it does show through. When they sense that, they dig in and desire to "make an example" of them and that seems to be at least a part of some of these bad encounters.

One of the best pieces of advice that I could give to a new OC'er, on your first OC trip into the world, go with someone else that's OC'ed many time before, someone that knows that laws and knows exactly where they stand on the law. This will provide the new OC'er with a sense of security in theie actions and also help to educate them about things.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

blue jeans and a button up shirt. I was hardly projecting the image of a possible criminal. I would disagree and think a lot of it comes down to managers personal feelings about firearms. I go to many other establishments and have never been said anything about OCing.

blue jeans and a button up shirt. I was hardly projecting the image of a possible criminal. I would disagree and think a lot of it comes down to managers personal feelings about firearms. I go to many other establishments and have never been said anything about OCing.
    I agree 100%. My firearm is banned from my local Walmart; manager decision... he said it scared him. I was wearing dockers and a Polo. I went up the corporate ladder, to no avail.
    Because of this incident, and the fact that Walmart is the ONLY retail partner of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, I refuse to shop there. No Loss.
    http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns....tnership.shtml
    Last edited by DrTodd; 09-24-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

As I said, my observation was NOT pointed at anyone in specific in this thread, it's just an observation about SOME situation of SOME individuals that have posted on here about issues like these. I will agree, there are definite some manager's that have caused more undue issues about OC than there should be. It happens and it's not right. Just because someone else is "scared" by your sidearm does NOT make it wrong or illegal, just CC your sidearm and go about your business or as someone posted here, just abstain from shopping the businesses in question.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast