• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry camping and fishing still banned in state parks?

Mas49.56

Hey guys I just got back from a bike ride in Big Lagoon state park. I noticed a rules sign in the camping area that read "Weapons may not be displayed openly, may not be accessible to minors and must be securely stored.". I thought this was an old sign, but when I read Florida Administrative Code 62D-2 open carry is banned. I thought they changed this years ago? What's the deal? I was CC and not camping or fishing, but it still pissed me off.

77zach

Hey guys I just got back from a bike ride in Big Lagoon state park. I noticed a rules sign in the camping area that read "Weapons may not be displayed openly, may not be accessible to minors and must be securely stored.". I thought this was an old sign, but when I read Florida Administrative Code 62D-2 open carry is banned. I thought they changed this years ago? What's the deal? I was CC and not camping or fishing, but it still pissed me off.

As long as you are doing one of the exceptional activities in 790.25, you could open carry in the park. You can CC with a permit in the park no matter what. Email sean@floridacarry.org about it.

Ironside

I found this and saved it but didn't get a date of issue.

FROM: Tracey S. Hartman, Sr. Attorney, Office of the General Counsel

SUBJECT: Open Display of Firearms in State Parks

The Department is interpreting rule 62D-2.014(10) to be consistent with section 790.25(3)(h), Florida Statutes, regarding the open display of firearms. This will allow persons visiting the state parks to lawfully display firearms while they are engaged in fishing, or camping or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition. It remains a criminal violation of section 258.008(3)(e) for any person to engage in the act of hunting within the boundaries of a state park without first obtaining the express permission of the Division of Recreation and Parks.

The Department still fully intends to enforce the strictures of Chapter 790 in the parks, including the prohibitions against the improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms, discharging a firearm in public, using a firearm while under the influence, shooting into dwellings, public or private buildings and the safe storage of firearms. The rule still prohibits the use of weapons within the parks and requires that:

Weapons shall at all times be in possession of a responsible party or properly secured within or to a vehicle or temporary housing, which shall include motor homes, travel trailers, recreational vehicles, campers, tents, or other enclosed structures, while in state parks. Properly secured means the weapon shall be locked away and not accessible to minors, and, if in a tent, means the weapon shall be secured in a locked container.

As I have stated in previous bulletins, these memoranda cannot begin to address every situation an officer will encounter. It is intended merely to provide general information regarding the Department's decision to interpret the rule in conformance with state law. The Department expects you to use you professional judgment based on the totality of circumstances and act accordingly.

[endquote]

HTH

Daytona Gun Owner

I found this and saved it but didn't get a date of issue.

FROM: Tracey S. Hartman, Sr. Attorney, Office of the General Counsel

SUBJECT: Open Display of Firearms in State Parks

The Department is interpreting rule 62D-2.014(10) to be consistent with section 790.25(3)(h), Florida Statutes, regarding the open display of firearms. This will allow persons visiting the state parks to lawfully display firearms while they are engaged in fishing, or camping or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition. It remains a criminal violation of section 258.008(3)(e) for any person to engage in the act of hunting within the boundaries of a state park without first obtaining the express permission of the Division of Recreation and Parks.

The Department still fully intends to enforce the strictures of Chapter 790 in the parks, including the prohibitions against the improper exhibition of dangerous weapons or firearms, discharging a firearm in public, using a firearm while under the influence, shooting into dwellings, public or private buildings and the safe storage of firearms. The rule still prohibits the use of weapons within the parks and requires that:

Weapons shall at all times be in possession of a responsible party or properly secured within or to a vehicle or temporary housing, which shall include motor homes, travel trailers, recreational vehicles, campers, tents, or other enclosed structures, while in state parks. Properly secured means the weapon shall be locked away and not accessible to minors, and, if in a tent, means the weapon shall be secured in a locked container.

As I have stated in previous bulletins, these memoranda cannot begin to address every situation an officer will encounter. It is intended merely to provide general information regarding the Department's decision to interpret the rule in conformance with state law. The Department expects you to use you professional judgment based on the totality of circumstances and act accordingly.

[endquote]

HTH

I have a copy of that letter in my filing cabinet. There were three or four of us (that I know of) that were involved in getting this changed.

If you see that sign, it is an old sign. Please contact the rangers office and let them know that it is still up and they will remove it.

If they don't, contact me at DGO@daytonagunowners.com and I'll get it removed.

Thanks.