• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on WMA

hunter45

I'm confused about OC on WMAs and with hunting season approaching (only 4 days until sept. goose season!) I was hoping y'all could clarify a couple things for me. I was at the Thompson WMA today and the sign there said that it is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm except during hunting season. So is OC prohibited unless it is hunting season? And there was a sign that said it is unlawful to have a firearm in your vehicle on a WMA at any time. Is that true too?

And on a related note, can I carry a handgun while hunting waterfowl? I guess that would probably be illegal since I'd be in possession of lead...and that would be a felony for each round that I'm carrying...or is there some sort of exception for handguns? I've never worried about all these laws before because I always hunted on private property, but since I'm going to be on a WMA some this season I guess I need to catch up on these very confusing and stupid laws. I appreciate your help guys!

raftgyde

I'm confused about OC on WMAs and with hunting season approaching (only 4 days until sept. goose season!) I was hoping y'all could clarify a couple things for me.

And on a related note, can I carry a handgun while hunting waterfowl? I guess that would probably be illegal since I'd be in possession of lead...and that would be a felony for each round that I'm carrying...or is there some sort of exception for handguns?

I'm likewise confused so I won't even address that part of your post.

As far as being in possession of handgun ammo containing lead, you might want to consider a lead-free type of ammo. Corbon's DPX is one that I'm aware of.

http://corbon.com/DPX.html

Marco

Perks for permit holders

Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:
•Possess a concealed handgun during archery seasons, muzzleloader seasons, and general firearms seasons.
•Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
•Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.
•Possess a concealed handgun while using dogs for tracking wounded or dead bear or deer but no game may be taken.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp#legal-use

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/publiclands.asp#wma

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf

hunter45

Valid Concealed Handgun Permit Holders May:
•Possess a concealed handgun during archery seasons, muzzleloader seasons, and general firearms seasons.
•Possess a concealed handgun on National Forest and Department lands during the closed season.
•Possess and transport a loaded concealed handgun in or on any vehicle on National Forest and Department lands.
•Possess a concealed handgun while using dogs for tracking wounded or dead bear or deer but no game may be taken.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/general.asp#legal-use

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/publiclands.asp#wma

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf

Correct, but what about OC? I prefer to OC when hunting, especially in September when it's going to be in the 80s and I'm not going to have my jacket on.

Marco

Correct, but what about OC? I prefer to OC when hunting, especially in September when it's going to be in the 80s and I'm not going to have my jacket on.

I maybe wrong and may one day be the test case but the way I read the rules is: OC is only allowed during hunting season.
So, if that area is open for hunting have at it.

This isn't legal adivce as I'm not an attorney.

I'd imagine Mr. Nap would reply but he's probably got his hands full.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I maybe wrong and may one day be the test case but the way I read the rules is: OC is only allowed during hunting season.
So, if that area is open for hunting have at it.

This isn't legal adivce as I'm not an attorney.

I'd imagine Mr. Nap would reply but he's probably got his hands full.

OC is only OK, according to the rules, during hunting season but I'd expect trouble if you take your handgun Goose hunting. It isn't a legal weapon for wildfowl and you're pushing what little common sense Conservation Officers have. This isn't like the bow and muzzle loading season that's directly address in the statute and crosses Federal territory also.

tcmech

I have to agree that the federal migratory bird thing might be the sticky point here.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have to agree that the federal migratory bird thing might be the sticky point here.

Glad you could make some sense out of it. Dragon Speak is not cooperating tonight. Must be my lack of an accent!:eek:

hunter45

OC is only OK, according to the rules, during hunting season but I'd expect trouble if you take your handgun Goose hunting. It isn't a legal weapon for wildfowl and you're pushing what little common sense Conservation Officers have. This isn't like the bow and muzzle loading season that's directly address in the statute and crosses Federal territory also.

OK, I'm not going to OC while goose hunting on the WMA then. But am I alright if I CC while goose hunting? Or should I just leave my handgun in the truck?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OK, I'm not going to OC while goose hunting on the WMA then. But am I alright if I CC while goose hunting? Or should I just leave my handgun in the truck?

Legally, I think you're OK either way. I would leave it in the truck because I take my hunting seriously and don't want to spend time arguing with a CC.
If you don't want to, I'd CC for the same reason.

The issue with me comes in during Archery and ML season. I've solved the ML problem by carrying my 12 ga Howdah pistol in addition to my rifle. We won't discuss bow season.

During the other seasons I have a rifle or shotgun. I prefer either to a handgun for protection anyway.

Just figure out what you need and work around it.

hunter45

Legally, I think you're OK either way. I would leave it in the truck because I take my hunting seriously and don't want to spend time arguing with a CC.
If you don't want to, I'd CC for the same reason.

The issue with me comes in during Archery and ML season. I've solved the ML problem by carrying my 12 ga Howdah pistol in addition to my rifle. We won't discuss bow season.

During the other seasons I have a rifle or shotgun. I prefer either to a handgun for protection anyway.

Just figure out what you need and work around it.

Thanks peter nap. Ugh this is so confusing.

On a related note...I've been trying very hard to get permission to hunt geese on a golf course in Fairfax County, and this year I'm closer to getting a "yes" than ever before. Do you know how difficult it is to obtain a permit to discharge a firearm in Fairfax County, and if that cost money?