Thread: When to inform.

When to inform.

I don't know if this has been addressed or not so I'll ask it here. At what point do you need to inform an LEO you are armed when not being stopped? Say you go in somewhere to eat lunch and are seated accross from an LEO or are behind one at the check out counter in a store. Do you inform them you are armed. Are you only required to inform them when approached?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by William Fisher
    I don't know if this has been addressed or not so I'll ask it here.
    At what point do you need to inform an LEO you are armed when not being stopped?
    You don't.
    Or rather, it's your decision whether or not to tell the officer ANYTHING unless s/he has RAS to force you to stop & deal with her/him in the first place.

Unless it's an officer I know, if I were ccing I'd no sooner announce that than I'd announce the color of underwear I was wearing.
    Since I usually OC (esp. here in WI, where that's all that's legal for now), the question probably won't come up.

Say you go in somewhere to eat lunch and are seated accross from an LEO or are behind one at the check out counter in a store. Do you inform them you are armed.
    No. Why would I?
    If s/he is observant, s/he will notice my openly carried pistol in its holster.
    Sort of like stopping next to a cop @ a stop light & telling her "I'm driving a car".

Why do you think a pistol carried by a citizen is any more worthy of announcement or notice or action than, say, a religious text or an "I voted" sticker?

Unless I (or someone else) need help, or I've witnessed something, or I've done something wrong, or I want to chat with someone I know who happens to be employed as a LEO, why would I talk with an officer? (And if I've done something wrong, or something they can twist into being wrong, pretty much all I'll say is "I want a lawyer".)

The possibility of a friendly "whatcha carrying" & discussion of relative merits of caliber & brand isn't high. The possibility of it being a prelude to a fishing expedition, nonconsensual interaction, or lecture on why I shouldn't carry openly (or why citizens shouldn't carry at all) is high.

Are you only required to inform them when approached?
    Depends on the state. Best to ask this question in the OH forum, or if you're travelling then search the fora for those states & look on www.handgunlaw.us

Some states don't try to require citizens to waive their right to remain silent.
    Some states do. Look how well that worked out for the guy in Canton, or Philly.
    Some states (WI) only require notification IF you're carrying concealed & IF the LEO has RAS of a crime.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 08-29-2011 at 12:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

It depends on the state, some states have a must notify law if you are contacted by an officer. It is also a matter of personal choice as previously noted. I typically OC so there wouldn't be any need to notify. If I am OCing in my car and get pulled over I would probably inform the officer because I carry my wallet on the same side as my gun and there is a chance he could see it and get the wrong idea. If I was CCing, I would probably not inform. I would not even consider informing the officer if he has not detained you. I certainly wouldn't walk up to an officer and let him know you're carrying. That being said, check your local laws. If legal, always carry a recorder and always keep it on.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    It depends on the state, some states have a must notify law if you are contacted by an officer. It is also a matter of personal choice as previously noted. I typically OC so there wouldn't be any need to notify. If I am OCing in my car and get pulled over I would probably inform the officer because I carry my wallet on the same side as my gun and there is a chance he could see it and get the wrong idea. If I was CCing, I would probably not inform. I would not even consider informing the officer if he has not detained you. I certainly wouldn't walk up to an officer and let him know you're carrying. That being said, check your local laws. If legal, always carry a recorder and always keep it on.
    Even if it's a "shall notify" state you need to carefully look at the law. For example, in OK you have to notify the police. But when you read the law you will see that you only have to notify them when being arrested, detained, or for a traffic stop (which is essentially a detainment).