• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

okauchee home owner self defense story

HandyHamlet

Babe's fiance tells TMJ4 he was in the area for a night out with friends at the bar. He also had family that lives in Oconomowoc. She said James Babe would never break into someones house or hurt anyone. She also claims he doesn't own a gun. She acknowledges Babe had a past but said he had committed himself to staying out of trouble and that would never do anything to take himself away from her and her two children.

I'm sure the late James Babe IV's fiancée will find another roll model for her children soon enough. :lol:

Apet

Shhhh

I wish this guy would remain silent. I hope a good lawyer has taken over for him.

I'm not bashing the LEOs, but prudence first.

rimmer

Good luck to him. He should not be charged. Nobody needs to be threatened by a thug, especially in his own home.
With this economy, these problems will escalate. Concealed carry has come to Wisconsin at the right time and these perpetrators had better wake up.
When a criminal says he has a gun and is threatening, I,m certainly not going to wait and see.

Fast Ed

DA says "No Gun"

Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimmel has stated that the perp did not have a gun. Now the questions start. Did the perp say he had a gun? Did the homeowner think he saw a gun? Did the perp hold an object in his hand pretending it was a gun? Did the homeowner shoot the guy dead and make up the story about the gun because this state did not have the good sense to pass a reasonable "Castle Doctrine " law yet?

This guy should have kept his mouth shut and talked to no one but his attorney. As far as what he did, more power to him. One less sex offender/criminal/rap-sheet-as-long-as-your-arm dirtbag to deal with. I, for one, would have done the same thing. I have three kids, a wife and a small dog to protect. NO ONE is going to threaten their safety without the risk of acute and terminal lead poisoning.

Fast Ed

MKEgal

rimmer said:
When a criminal says he has a gun and is threatening, I'm certainly not going to wait and see.
This. +100

Cops have shot people who were holding cell phones & did NOT claim to have a gun & were not punished for it.
If someone breaks into my house & tells me he has a gun, I'll believe him, and the response will NOT be enjoyable, esp. for him.

The only question I have about the homeowner's actions is why did he chase the guy outside, instead of letting him run off & then retreating into the house. The way I read this:
he confronted the man in the garage and it moved to the back of the house
sounds like they were outside, but I could be misunderstanding. If it was inside, why are the police / DA questioning the shoot at all??

But he also ordered the guy to drop the (apparently nonexistant) gun before shooting.
That's probably more than I'd have the guts to do.

her and her two children
Not their two kids, mind you...
So maybe she can go back to their father(s) for support.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon

The only question I have about the homeowner's actions is why did he chase the guy outside, instead of letting him run off & then retreating into the house. The way I read this:
he confronted the man in the garage and it moved to the back of the house
I read it to mean that the guy followed him into the house. You're thinking it was outside the back of the house. Hmmm. I took
He says the man cornered him, threatening his life with a gun.
to mean that he was inside, thus being cornered.

MKEgal

Answered the question

Yet another article with essentially the same information... but adding a link to the search warrant.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/128707913.html

Says they were on a small deck (apparently) between the rear door & the garage walk door.
When confronted, burglar said he had a gun, then came toward the homeowner menacingly, got close enough to be pushed away, then backed him into a corner.
Police say he seems to have had a cell phone in one hand when he fell, as it was lying on his chest.

Rat bastard PD wanted a search warrant because the homeowner was only wearing underwear when they got there... well, DUH! He'd been awoken in the middle of the night. I'm surprised he was wearing that much.
But instead, they thought maybe he'd taken off whatever he was wearing because it had blood spatter.
(No news as to whether or not they found any clothing fitting that description.)

Now why would he call 911 to report the burglary & defense, admit the attacker cornered him & he shot in self-defense, then try to hide the clothes he wasn't wearing??

They also siezed 3 sizes of ammo, but no other guns, so hopefully he's kept the others someplace else, & will still have defensive tools while this mess is going on.