Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's one to watch

Here's one to watch

West Virginia

The Logan County Courthouse was packed Monday morning. About 100 people showed up to voice their support for Jesus Canul.

Canul was charged with first degree murder following a shooting in the Walmart parking lot in Logan last week. Police say David Abbott went up to Canul, put a sharp object to his throat and went for Canul's wallet. Officers say Canul then pulled out a gun and shot Abbott as he walked away.

Canul's supporters believe he acted in self defense.

His bond was set at $40,000 at a bond hearing, Canul's preliminary hearing is set for later this week.

----------------

People are planning to rally around a man charged with murder.

Jesus Canul will be in court in Logan County Monday. He's charged with murder after police say he shot a man who was trying to rob him in the Walmart parking lot.

Some people in Logan County plan to rally at the courthouse Monday at 9am in support of Canul because they believe he acted in self defense.

cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Banned
    Key words: "as he walked away."

If those words are accurate, murder or manslaughter, depending on the vagaries of State law.

Once the threat is ended, even if it is ended by the choice of the BG, self-defense is no longer on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

If those words are accurate, murder or manslaughter, depending on the vagaries of State law.

Once the threat is ended, even if it is ended by the choice of the BG, self-defense is no longer on the table.
    There seems to be some debate as to whether what the LEOs claim and what other witnesses claim is true. LEO says the BG was walking away, witnesses claim he was not walking away. The telltale video is now in LEO hands and not available to the public, hope it doesn't get 'lost.'
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

Banned
    Like I said, "if."

Jumping to conclusions, either way, is not rational.

State Researcher

Post Column: Was that murder or was it self-defense?

James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Like I said, "if."

Show me where I jumped to ANY conclusion!

For you to insinuate that I did is UNACCEPTABLE!

Put up or SHUT UP!
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In either case, it is astounding that this criminal didn't avoid said victim because of the thought that he might be armed. I wonder how this would have played out had the criminal known he was armed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

the way i understood the original story is that the dead perp was walking back TOWARD walmart...which would obviously present a serious danger to those inside of walmart,i feel that while the man may not have been in fear of HIS life anymore,there is a more than reasonable fear that the perp would have attacked others if ya ask me
    Last edited by lil_freak_66; 09-01-2011 at 02:04 PM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

If you want to see some actual jumping to conclusions, click the link in the OP. The title to the article is "Logan Murder Update".

"He was an escaping felon" would be my line if I were defending him. I don't know that state's laws in that area, but shooting an armed felon--even in the back, is lawful and an affirmative defense in many states.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

If I were on that jury and the facts showed that the "victim" had the shooter's wallet on his person at the time of the incident, there is no way I could ever convict this guy of murder one. I don't give a damn what the law says and I don't give a damn if I cause a hung jury, the world is a better place without the robber and I could not in good conscience send a man to prison because of it.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar

Headshot: +50

He shot a felon in the midst of comitting a crime. Make sure he gets his wallet back, shake his hand, and send him on his way.

Pack the creep up to boot hill and send his next of kin a bill to compensate for the bullet. Putting knives to people's throats and robbing them is a no-no, and he'll get no sympathy from me.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

We had/have no say/input with the DA there in WV. The real valid point is "Why is it even a question?" The BG is/was a Violent Felon that had just committed a VIOLENT FELONY. Whether or not he was an immediate threat to that particular person, he was an immediate threat to any person he approached within 20 feet and to society at large. When trying to decide to prosecute the victim of the robbery, the deciding factor should be was he actually robbed. If that is what happened, pat on the back, thanks, hope it doesn't happen again.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

State Researcher

Collection of news articles & WV law

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Not quite

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    "He was an escaping felon" would be my line if I were defending him. I don't know that state's laws in that area, but shooting an armed felon--even in the back, is lawful and an affirmative defense in many states.
    He may have been, or he may not have been.

Unless he had a record as a convicted felon, he was just an escaping criminal and as such, you canít just shoot as the danger had vacated.

The better choice for defense is the belief of emanate danger to others.

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    If I were on that jury and the facts showed that the "victim" had the shooter's wallet on his person at the time of the incident, there is no way I could ever convict this guy of murder one. I don't give a damn what the law says and I don't give a damn if I cause a hung jury, the world is a better place without the robber and I could not in good conscience send a man to prison because of it.
    This. Our justice system is flawed where it protects the criminals and punishes the true victims of such crimes. I love it how a police officer has the blanket of protection where they are allowed to shoot crooks like this in the back but if the lone subject dares to-do the right thing they are then charged with murder. Vitim s should have absolute immunity from ever having to go to court civil charges or other if they ever had to use deadly force in protecting themselves or in the safety of others,
    Last edited by zack991; 09-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

i talked to a lady from Logan Saturday. she said it was rumored that Abott had rob Canul before, and had rob others in the area. i still say there seems to be an emanate threat.

i think it is telling that the community is standing up for him
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by va_tazdad View Post
    He may have been, or he may not have been.

Unless he had a record as a convicted felon, he was just an escaping criminal and as such, you canít just shoot as the danger had vacated.

The better choice for defense is the belief of emanate danger to others.
    He had just 'committed' a felony. His past record is immaterial to that fact. And I believe you mean "imminent" danger. As an armed person who had just committed a felony, imminent danger is implied--again, depending upon state law.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    He had just 'committed' a felony. His past record is immaterial to that fact. And I believe you mean "imminent" danger. As an armed person who had just committed a felony, imminent danger is implied--again, depending upon state law.
    However a lawyer or some one else wants to parse words. No matter what the current law is, if him shooting the man who had within a very short period of time is considered Illegal the law needs to be changed. The lawyer who wrote it and all those who voted for it and the governor who signed it deserve at a minimum 10 years in the pen being introduced to "Bubba"

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by okboomer View Post
    Show me where I jumped to ANY conclusion!

Put up or SHUT UP!
    Show me where I said that you jumped to ANY conclusion!

Put up or SHUT UP!

Moving on.

Like I said, "if."

You insinuate that I jump to a conclusion and that I am not rational. I find you to be disingenious at best.
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Show me where I said that you jumped to ANY conclusion!

Put up or SHUT UP!

Moving on.
    You imply it by posting directly after him and with no one else in the thread to reply to. If you can't see how that is implying that he jumped to conclusions then you need to learn how to better choose your words.

But then again I've noticed this standard tactic from you. You say something that very clearly implies something and when called out on what your words imply you act offended and claim that isn't what you said/meant. Given just how often this happens it leads one to believe it is more than just coincidence and comes across as passive aggressive with your overall tone often coming off as aggressive and condescending.

Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    He shot a felon in the midst of comitting a crime. Make sure he gets his wallet back, shake his hand, and send him on his way.

Pack the creep up to boot hill and send his next of kin a bill to compensate for the bullet. Putting knives to people's throats and robbing them is a no-no, and he'll get no sympathy from me.
    ^^ This ^^

State Researcher

UPDATE: Charges dropped

Life Member, NRA

"I think they jumped the gun on this one."
    Last edited by oldbanger; 09-19-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast