• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two questions about open carry.

Thejoyofdriving

Hello,

I'm new to open carry, but have been doing my best to support the movement. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with. I used the search function to no avail :(

1st: Can you carry on a state beach? I know you cant carry in state parks and was wondering if their the same. I dont remember seeing any signs but I want to make sure.

2nd: I am familiar with the 1000ft rule with regards to k-12 schools. However, does this apply if your inside of a building? For example. If I wanted to carry in a big building like a mall and the entrance and half of the mall is out of the 1000ft foot zone but the other half is technically within the 1000ft radii can I not go to that side of the building, even though I'm inside?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Firemark

Hello,

I'm new to open carry, but have been doing my best to support the movement. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with. I used the search function to no avail :(

1st: Can you carry on a state beach? I know you cant carry in state parks and was wondering if their the same. I dont remember seeing any signs but I want to make sure.

2nd: I am familiar with the 1000ft rule with regards to k-12 schools. However, does this apply if your inside of a building? For example. If I wanted to carry in a big building like a mall and the entrance and half of the mall is out of the 1000ft foot zone but the other half is technically within the 1000ft radii can I not go to that side of the building, even though I'm inside?

Thanks for your help in advance!

First off welcome,
here is the quote from the info pamphlet,
CCR Title 14, Div 3, Chap 1, s 4313 (a) Cannot carry in a State Park. However firearms may be possessed within temporary lodging or a vehicle
when unloaded and “packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.”

and
is the Calccw link. Unless the State Beach has a dedicated camp ground, I would say probably not a good idea. As far as I know state beaches I believe are state parks, may be wrong if anyone else has more info please chime in.

As for inside a building or "on private Property" unless it is your own property I would also avoid UOC'ing here. Theseus, another poster, was arrested and convicted for carrying within a school zone while on private property accessible by the public. Stay away from malls, especially indoor ones, they seem to bring more attention and problems with security and LE. If your on private property be sure it is NOT accessible to the public (gated access, surrounded by a fence or wall.), and have the owners expressed permission to carry there. Malls by there very nature are open to the public so over zealous LE may attempt to arrest and charge you. Unless you want to be the test case.

Thejoyofdriving

I figured state beachs and state parks were similar or one of the same. I was just hoping it would be otherwise.

Thanks for the advice! I actually carried the other day in the Westfield mall near San Jose and didn't run into any problems but stayed away from the "imaginary 1000ft line" which cut the mall in half just to play it safe.

Last edited: