Thread: Hurricane Irene

Hurricane Irene

Well here it is Monday eve. in the Richmond, VA area.

We lost power about 6:30 pm Sat. and have been on generator since. Dominion Virginia Power states this is their second largest outage behind Hurricane Isabel in 2003. Many, many main distribution lines still have trees on them and no servicemen yet.

Hope everyone came through ok, especially those who homes damaged from the earthquake!

Next week locusts.

Hope your power comes back soon!! Up here in Springfield, VA I suffered no worse than a 45 minute power outage and leaves/branches on the ground.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 08-29-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Next week locusts.
    That would be comparatively fortuitous. After the 1996 hurricane that struck NC, it was floating pigs.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Having suffered an earthquake and now a hurricane, my vote is for locusts next. One guy said raining frogs, another water to blood. Next week should be interesting!

Power back at 10 last night. One co-worker lost two cars. Some folks will be another week to see power, IMO.
    All of New Kent county was down, no government center, no 911. Folks who could get the systems operational could not get out of their driveways.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 08-31-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    All of New Kent county was down, no government center, no 911. Folks who could get the systems operational could not get out of their driveways.
    I am very seriously considering becoming a ham radio operator. If I work at night, I might even be able to conceal an antenna in the tree just outside my window...
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Update: my brother, three blocks from me, just got his power back at 8:00 last night. Two co-workers, one in New Kent County and one in eastern Chesterfield County, are still out and MIGHT get their power back by Saturday.

We are still very busy with earthquake and hurricane damage inspections/fixes.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 09-01-2011 at 12:27 PM.