• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hurricane Irene

riverrat10k

Well here it is Monday eve. in the Richmond, VA area.

We lost power about 6:30 pm Sat. and have been on generator since. Dominion Virginia Power states this is their second largest outage behind Hurricane Isabel in 2003. Many, many main distribution lines still have trees on them and no servicemen yet.

Hope everyone came through ok, especially those who homes damaged from the earthquake!

Next week locusts.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hope your power comes back soon!! Up here in Springfield, VA I suffered no worse than a 45 minute power outage and leaves/branches on the ground.

Last edited:

riverrat10k

Having suffered an earthquake and now a hurricane, my vote is for locusts next. One guy said raining frogs, another water to blood. Next week should be interesting!

Power back at 10 last night. One co-worker lost two cars. Some folks will be another week to see power, IMO.
All of New Kent county was down, no government center, no 911. Folks who could get the systems operational could not get out of their driveways.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
All of New Kent county was down, no government center, no 911. Folks who could get the systems operational could not get out of their driveways.

I am very seriously considering becoming a ham radio operator. If I work at night, I might even be able to conceal an antenna in the tree just outside my window...

riverrat10k

Update: my brother, three blocks from me, just got his power back at 8:00 last night. Two co-workers, one in New Kent County and one in eastern Chesterfield County, are still out and MIGHT get their power back by Saturday.

We are still very busy with earthquake and hurricane damage inspections/fixes.

Last edited: