• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Law Against Recording Of On-The-Job Cops Is Unconstitutional"

xmanhockey7

To quote a cop I know "Why the hell would there be a law against it? What is that police officer doing that he wouldn't want it to be shown in court?"

dragongtr

Michigan's law on this subject is actually very very nice.

As long as one active participant in a conversation knows that it is being recorded, the recording is perfectly legal and will hold up in court.

TheQ

It is interesting -- grant you. I just wanted to note for some folks it's not applicable to MI.

Thanks for the post.

scot623

You guys are wound to tight. I will refrain from posting again.

They're wound to tight? Dude, they are just pointing out to the many people who will read your link that it is not applicable to Michigan. Without that piece of info, I am certain most would think that it would be. Not everyone understands the Federal Appeals Court System. No one said your link sucked or take it down, just clarifying.

Kusala

What they said. BTW, please review to, too, and two in the dictionary ;)

They're wound to tight? Dude, they are just pointing out to the many people who will read your link that it is not applicable to Michigan. Without that piece of info, I am certain most would think that it would be. Not everyone understands the Federal Appeals Court System. No one said your link sucked or take it down, just clarifying.

Point proven :) I just figured as with all the recordings on this site it would have been granted and just because we have a good law about recording does not mean it can never be changed or challenged.

Last edited:

kubel

Your post was appreciated, and the topic is relevant, if not legally applicable.

Kusala

Your post was appreciated, and the topic is relevant, if not legally applicable.

Thank you. Just trying two help and keep people informed of whats going on. That is all I was trying two do.

Dam did the to, too and two wrong again.

Geez... did you not get enough hugs as a child?

Thank you for the post and lighten up.

I am not that serious. I am not wound up. I was just surprised people jumping on it relevancy.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

It's good that you posted this, has been posted in other firearms forums as well. As others have stated, it just does not apply to us in MI as we are in the 6th District US COA and have no such stupid law. I do believe that this will end up applying "all over" at some point and is good information to have...

R-Rizzo

Michigan's law on this subject is actually very very nice.

As long as one active participant in a conversation knows that it is being recorded, the recording is perfectly legal and will hold up in court.

The problem with a lot of these cases isn't that they are not being held up in court. A lot (not all) of these people are being found not guilty... But that is not stopping them from getting arrested in the first place...

DanM

Kusala said:
I am not that serious. I am not wound up.

This is a discussion board, and your response to some of the discussion seems to belie that.

Good post, I appreciate it, and I appreciate others clarifying applicability to Michigan.