• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel question - AL to VA

J S Machine

I will be traveling from AL to VA in the next week, and I just want to check and be sure that I will have no problems. I hold a concealed carry permit for my county in AL, but I'm not sure what other state's stance on this is. I will likely travel by car through GA, TN, SC, NC, and finally VA. I will also be going into the Arlington, VA and Washington DC area as well. I've had a few people tell me I can't carry in DC.

I don't really open carry, but I will have a weapon concealed or in my vehicle. I just want to be sure I do everything within the law and I knew you guys would be a good source of info.

Thanks.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Virginia does not recognize a permit from Alabama.

Link to relevant Va. State Police web page

Open carry is permissible in Virginia. Const., Art. 1, Sect. 13. There's no "resident/nonresident" distinction as to open carry. You are also permitted to have a firearm secured within a container inside the car without running afoul of the concealed weapon statute. Va. Code sect. 18.2-308. "Secured" does not mean "locked".

My understanding is that possession of firearms and pretty much anything related to firearms is prohibited in DC, notwithstanding the Heller decision. Slim strips of DC are located South of the Potomoc, along the George Washington Parkway, which appear to be, but are not, in Arlington County. So I'd stay off of that stretch that runs between Memorial Bridge and Alexandria if I were you.

Take a look at this thread and see if it gives you any ideas:http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?93581

eye95

Since it sounds (from user's post) like your possession of a firearm is legal in VA (either "secured" in your vehicle, or OCed on your person while walking about), then federal law will protect you while transporting the firearm through any State where you are not permitted to possess the firearm. Just don't make any stops or side-trips in any State where you are not permitted to possess the firearm.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Since it sounds (from user's post) like your possession of a firearm is legal in VA (either "secured" in your vehicle, or OCed on your person while walking about), then federal law will protect you while transporting the firearm through any State where you are not permitted to possess the firearm. Just don't make any stops or side-trips in any State where you are not permitted to possess the firearm.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

NO! NO! NO!

FOPA covers essential stops enroute through otherwise prohibiting states - like getting gas & meals and maybe bathroom breaks - but the firearm must remain locked away during the stop. Fortunately the states JS will be traveling through are not as wonky about stops as MD, NJ, and NY/NYC.

Stay in Virginia - avoid DC as much as you can. You can either use an in-room safe to lock your gun and ammo away if you must go into DC or get the front desk to secure your locked container in their safe. Get a receipt if you do this.

stay safe.

eye95

NO! NO! NO!

FOPA covers essential stops enroute through otherwise prohibiting states - like getting gas & meals and maybe bathroom breaks - but the firearm must remain locked away during the stop. Fortunately the states JS will be traveling through are not as wonky about stops as MD, NJ, and NY/NYC.

Stay in Virginia - avoid DC as much as you can. You can either use an in-room safe to lock your gun and ammo away if you must go into DC or get the front desk to secure your locked container in their safe. Get a receipt if you do this.

stay safe.

I was not meaning stops that are integral to the travel. Side trips to one's mother's home in NJ, for example, are to be avoided, as courts will refuse to consider the federal protection from State laws for such stops.

J S Machine

Virginia does not recognize a permit from Alabama.

Link to relevant Va. State Police web page

Open carry is permissible in Virginia. Const., Art. 1, Sect. 13. There's no "resident/nonresident" distinction as to open carry. You are also permitted to have a firearm secured within a container inside the car without running afoul of the concealed weapon statute. Va. Code sect. 18.2-308. "Secured" does not mean "locked".

My understanding is that possession of firearms and pretty much anything related to firearms is prohibited in DC, notwithstanding the Heller decision. Slim strips of DC are located South of the Potomoc, along the George Washington Parkway, which appear to be, but are not, in Arlington County. So I'd stay off of that stretch that runs between Memorial Bridge and Alexandria if I were you.

Take a look at this thread and see if it gives you any ideas:http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?93581
While traveling, I will likely have my weapon in the center compartment. I usally have a full mag but none in th chaber. Will this be legal?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
As the other gentlemen have stated, do NOT enter Washington, DC while armed and that includes staying clear of Maryland... also a no-man's land for those of us who choose to carry. You will find that Virginia is very lenient when it comes to carrying a firearm so you're not likely to run into any problems here in our state.

Enjoy your time here and spend lots of money.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I was not meaning stops that are integral to the travel. Side trips to one's mother's home in NJ, for example, are to be avoided, as courts will refuse to consider the federal protection from State laws for such stops.

You know I'm only trying to keep you straight, don't you?

And a penalty flag for alluding to the NJ case at all! FOPA does not apply in intrastate travel, and he was already a NJ rsident when he took the trip to visit momma. See: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...years-for-being-a-responsible-gun-owner.-quot

Best bet is to support the folks in occupied territories as they work to bring their laws back somewhere closer to rationality.

stay safe.

Last edited: