• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF's Chief, Melman, has been removed

Eeyore

Last edited:

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
NPR put 2 and 2 together in their story: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...for-fast-and-furious-atf-announces-new-leader

Normal progression of a scandal:
1. Uncritical Acceptance
2. Wild Enthusiasm
3. Dejected Disillusionment
4. Total Confusion
5. Search for the Guilty
6. Punishment of the Innocent
7. Promotion of the Non-participant

I think we're in phase 4 transitioning to phase 5.

Shouldn't #7 be "Promotion of the PARTICIPANTS"... this is goverment after all!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
ATF's Chief, Melman, has been removed....removed to where? A different office, right down the hall from his old office. Probably has a better view than his last office.

From the article I cited above:

"Holder said Melson will become senior adviser on forensic science in the Justice Department's Office of Legal Policy."

okboomer

He is also 18 years into his vestment of 20 years for retirement.

I hope Sen. Issa manages to get him fired without retirement benefits.

Of course, I wish I could eat chocolate without gaining weight, too.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I hope Sen. Issa manages to get him fired without retirement benefits.

Not I. I've seen that happen to far too many people to wish it on anyone. I think it would be more appropriate to change the President's, Congress', and the Supreme Court's "retirement plan" from 100% of pay to the same deal given to those serving our country via the military.

Deanimator

Not I. I've seen that happen to far too many people to wish it on anyone. I think it would be more appropriate to change the President's, Congress', and the Supreme Court's "retirement plan" from 100% of pay to the same deal given to those serving our country via the military.
What kind of retirement plan is the dead Border Patrol agent enjoying...?

okboomer

At one point in time, Melman had to understand just how dangerous this Fast and Furious program was, and CHOSE not to be a whistle blower. And he had the rank. That is what bother's me the most. HE HAD THE RANK to make it through any sort of whistle-blower fallout. He simply chose to hide behind "just following orders" and that isn't even what he was doing despite his claims otherwise now. He was an active participant, not a reluctant participant.

I am not advocating Melman go to jail as I don't see his participation rising to that level ... he didn't come up with the program, and it wasn't his decision to deploy the program. But he definitely was an active participant.

rpyne

I am not advocating Melman go to jail as I don't see his participation rising to that level ... he didn't come up with the program, and it wasn't his decision to deploy the program. But he definitely was an active participant.

I do advocate he and ALL participants go to jail. It is high time we stop letting government agents break the law for ANY reason and get away with it. They are citizens with no more rights or privileges than any one else (remember that little detail about equal protection under the law?).

SFCRetired

All of you who have posted have good points. What disturbs me even more is the fact that both Holder and Obama have denied knowledge of this fiasco. Whatever happened to Harry S. Truman's sign, "The buck stops here"?

It has always been my understanding that the ultimate responsibility for an action, or lack thereof, rests on the shoulders of the person in charge. Holder, as Attorney General, should have been well aware of what was going on. Obama, as President, should have gotten daily briefings on the progress of such an unorthodox operation. The fact that both are claiming complete ignorance of this mess is, in my eyes, evidence of dereliction of duty.

Holder, because of that dereliction, should be fired by Obama. Obama, again because of his dereliction of duty, should be "fired" by being voted out of office. Obama's offense in this particular case, unfortunately, did not rise to the level required by the Constitution for impeachment. I am not too sure that the deaths of innocent people and law enforcement officials directly linked to this operation should not be cause for criminal complaints up to at least the level of Attorney General.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
All of you who have posted have good points. What disturbs me even more is the fact that both Holder and Obama have denied knowledge of this fiasco. Whatever happened to Harry S. Truman's sign, "The buck stops here"?

It has always been my understanding that the ultimate responsibility for an action, or lack thereof, rests on the shoulders of the person in charge. Holder, as Attorney General, should have been well aware of what was going on. Obama, as President, should have gotten daily briefings on the progress of such an unorthodox operation. The fact that both are claiming complete ignorance of this mess is, in my eyes, evidence of dereliction of duty.

Holder, because of that dereliction, should be fired by Obama. Obama, again because of his dereliction of duty, should be "fired" by being voted out of office. Obama's offense in this particular case, unfortunately, did not rise to the level required by the Constitution for impeachment. I am not too sure that the deaths of innocent people and law enforcement officials directly linked to this operation should not be cause for criminal complaints up to at least the level of Attorney General.

I think that concept pretty much went out the window when Clinton said the Waco massacre was Janet Reno's operation.....