• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Van Hollen

Law abider

I have read the story on the Culver's incident in Madison and the MPD memo to the MPD leos on how to arrest OC persons. They are disregarding the 2009 Advisory Memo by Van Hollen. In fact MPD has interpreted the DC statute to mean that even if persons are not causing a DC, the mere presence of a firearm rattling nerves constitutes a DC. Please read the footnotes in the Advisory Memo. It is not a FORMAL OPINION. Thus it doesn't carry any weight in my view. It is a two sided memo saying: Yes you can OC but you can't. I e mailed senator Grothman an e mail to Van Hollen stating that I was dissapointed with his memo. I don't think I'll receive a reply. Here is my e mail to Van Hollen: Dear Attorney General Van Hollen:

I just finished reading your 2009 Advisory Memo to all Wisconsin DAs in clarifying the disorderly conduct statute regarding open carry as enumerated inArticle 1 Sec 25. It is understandable that there is a general mistrust between law enforcement, local governments and citizens as to their constitutional rights, and you have taken a step in educating us and local prosecutors and law enforcements that Wisconsinites do have a right to keep and bear arms. Former governor Doyle in vetoing conceal to carry bill said: "If you want to carry a gun in Wisconsin, wear it on your hip."

I was deeply disappointed that in your memo under notation number 2) you stated that "This Informal Advisory memorandum does not constitute a formal opinion of the Wisconsin Attorney General or the Wis DOJ under statute 165.015(1). Yet the statute states: 1) Give opinion to officers. Give his or her opinion in writing, when required, without fee, upon all questions of law submitted to him or her by the legislature, either house thereof or the senate or assembly committee on organization, or by the head of any department of state government.

So In my view, you seem to be speaking out of both sides: "Yes you can open carry, but you can't." This also seems to mean that local law enforcement will arrest you and charge you with a disorderly conduct even if I was not violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud etc. only because the mere presence of the gun caused mass hysteria. As a law abiding citizen, I am deeply disappointed. I hope you do reply to my concern.

I hope that the Wi Carry lawsuit stemming from the Culver's incident will create a formal opinion by the court or Van Hollen. If not, this has to go to the WI supreme court. In the meanwhile leos, DAs county sheriff's deputies will continue to accost us. I am aware of our constitutional rights but I am also aware that the law enforcement world in general refuses to recognize our right and many of us will end up with fines and court costs. I guess I don't mind a membership fee for WI Carry so that a fund can be created to defend it's members and get lobbysts to get the legislature to get on our side. Any advice on this issue???

paul@paul-fisher.com

I have read the story on the Culver's incident in Madison and the MPD memo to the MPD leos on how to arrest OC persons. They are disregarding the 2009 Advisory Memo by Van Hollen. In fact MPD has interpreted the DC statute to mean that even if persons are not causing a DC, the mere presence of a firearm rattling nerves constitutes a DC. Please read the footnotes in the Advisory Memo. It is not a FORMAL OPINION. Thus it doesn't carry any weight in my view. It is a two sided memo saying: Yes you can OC but you can't. I e mailed senator Grothman an e mail to Van Hollen stating that I was dissapointed with his memo. I don't think I'll receive a reply. Here is my e mail to Van Hollen: Dear Attorney General Van Hollen:

I just finished reading your 2009 Advisory Memo to all Wisconsin DAs in clarifying the disorderly conduct statute regarding open carry as enumerated inArticle 1 Sec 25. It is understandable that there is a general mistrust between law enforcement, local governments and citizens as to their constitutional rights, and you have taken a step in educating us and local prosecutors and law enforcements that Wisconsinites do have a right to keep and bear arms. Former governor Doyle in vetoing conceal to carry bill said: "If you want to carry a gun in Wisconsin, wear it on your hip."

I was deeply disappointed that in your memo under notation number 2) you stated that "This Informal Advisory memorandum does not constitute a formal opinion of the Wisconsin Attorney General or the Wis DOJ under statute 165.015(1). Yet the statute states: 1) Give opinion to officers. Give his or her opinion in writing, when required, without fee, upon all questions of law submitted to him or her by the legislature, either house thereof or the senate or assembly committee on organization, or by the head of any department of state government.

So In my view, you seem to be speaking out of both sides: "Yes you can open carry, but you can't." This also seems to mean that local law enforcement will arrest you and charge you with a disorderly conduct even if I was not violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud etc. only because the mere presence of the gun caused mass hysteria. As a law abiding citizen, I am deeply disappointed. I hope you do reply to my concern.

I hope that the Wi Carry lawsuit stemming from the Culver's incident will create a formal opinion by the court or Van Hollen. If not, this has to go to the WI supreme court. In the meanwhile leos, DAs county sheriff's deputies will continue to accost us. I am aware of our constitutional rights but I am also aware that the law enforcement world in general refuses to recognize our right and many of us will end up with fines and court costs. I guess I don't mind a membership fee for WI Carry so that a fund can be created to defend it's members and get lobbysts to get the legislature to get on our side. Any advice on this issue???

Ummmmm...... Act 35 has now made that memo law. A little late to write JB.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Yep, Here Is What ACT 35 States....

SECTION 21. 66.0409 (6) of the statutes is created to
read:
66.0409 (6) Unless other facts and circumstances that
indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the
person apply, no person may be in violation of, or be
charged with a violation of, an ordinance of a political
subdivision relating to disorderly conduct or other inappropriate
behavior for loading, carrying, or going armed
with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is
loaded or is concealed or openly carried. Any ordinance
in violation of this subsection does not apply and may not
be enforced.

I believe that went into effect on 22JULY2011.

MKEgal

Welcome aboard, & don't feel too bad...
even those of us who have been around a while occasionally miss a thread that's dealing with whatever we're concerned about.

I suggest you go to the WI forum & browse the stickies,
especially the vast wealth of information in "New to OC in WI, here's what you should know".

And if you'd like to look through the new SB93 / Act 35, there's a PDF in my sig.

Law abider

Thanks

Good. That puts my concern to rest. SB93/Act35 have made JB's Advisory Memo official and into law. Thanks Paul. I will become a member of Wi Carry! Now if anyone is in the Ellsworth area who is a OC, I would like to know.

Motofixxer

Good. That puts my concern to rest. SB93/Act35 have made JB's Advisory Memo official and into law. Thanks Paul. I will become a member of Wi Carry! Now if anyone is in the Ellsworth area who is a OC, I would like to know.

If you go to my New to OC thread click on the fifth link (Hesitant to OC alone) and you will find a list of individuals around the state that are willing to meet up\assist with new carriers.

Last edited:

hermannr

This comment goes with any state you may OC in: Act like you are confident you are not doing anything illegal...NEVER act nervous! Put your holster on your belt, and then act like it is no different than carrying a cell phone.

The LE community, especially at border crossings, are well trained to look at how a person is acting. If they are confident, they probably know what they are doing is legal...if they are nervous, maybe something is up. They will key on the nervous action and continue to observe you, maybe even stop you to try find out what is up.

Be confident in your knowledge that you are doing nothing illegal (and of course, do nothing illegal) and the odds are you will never even be talked to. I have OC'd for over 40 years, and had only one, two word, discussion with a Sheriff's Deputy, and that was someone (city person I'm sure) called MWAG when I was in a grocery store buying supplies.

Law abider

Ok

This comment goes with any state you may OC in: Act like you are confident you are not doing anything illegal...NEVER act nervous! Put your holster on your belt, and then act like it is no different than carrying a cell phone.

The LE community, especially at border crossings, are well trained to look at how a person is acting. If they are confident, they probably know what they are doing is legal...if they are nervous, maybe something is up. They will key on the nervous action and continue to observe you, maybe even stop you to try find out what is up.

Be confident in your knowledge that you are doing nothing illegal (and of course, do nothing illegal) and the odds are you will never even be talked to. I have OC'd for over 40 years, and had only one, two word, discussion with a Sheriff's Deputy, and that was someone (city person I'm sure) called MWAG when I was in a grocery store buying supplies.

Right O Hermannr. Thanks for the thumbs up and the rest of you. Thanks for the OC willing to help out. I'll look at the liost tomorrow. Have to get home. An hour and5 each way.