• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carrying during the watermelon festival?

boomer92266

i live in monroe county, on september 3rd is the watermelon festival. there will be booths set up and people will be coming in from all over. i haven't called and verified this but a friend that i do trust not to lie told me this today. he said he was talking to one of the officers up in tompkinsville and they said that he could not open carry during the festival which is on main street and goes about 4 blocks. he said there will be people set up from places that don't understand open carry and it will scare them to see people except police carrying guns, and tompkinsville needs these people to keep coming back as its revenue. he told him if he open carried he would be asked to put the gun away either conceal with permit or put back in car. the tomkinsville city park had signs up till this year banning firearms, now the signs are down. i will try and call if i get a chance tomorrow at work cause by the time i'm off only the dispacher is on duty. if anyone else knows about if they can stop open carry let me know i was planning on doing that. thanks

boomer92266

Yes i did post about signs in the city park, when i was there in the fall so was the signs. but by spring the signs had been removed, i do opologize for not checking first but since the signs had been there for years i didn't think they would be changing them and i do not go to the park in winter. i do plan on doing some calling myself too, as my friend is very trustworthy but he could have asked an officer that don't like open carry and told him his personal feelins and not something the city is trying to enforce. i know the sheriff and i will try and contact him as well. thanks

boomer92266

I took a few hours off work to get this straightened out, I just got off the phone with the chief of police in tompkinsville. He was very nice and said he would like the name of the officer, because open carry is welcome in tompkinsville and there won't be any trouble with it as it is state law, and he and his department support the 2nd amendment as well as the state constitution. He said a few of his officers are young and may not know the complete law yet, and one of them probably did that. He did say some busineses may not welcome me but in public I'm ok, I asked my friend he said he didn't think to get his name but is going to the police station to talk to the chief and look at pictures, and let the chief know which one it was. He said it was a young officer, he was nice about the ordeal but firm on not carrying. well I'm glad thats took care of, this has taught me one important lesson. Always check before taking what one person says, the police officer was relaying what he wanted not what was the law. I also found out that the court house has a sign now that reads, concealed weapons not allowed inside court house. I guess open carry is legal now inside as they have a new justice center and all offices in the court house are now county. thanks

Last edited:

Johnburns15

Well that's great that you got it straightened out and even better that the police chief is going to try and educate his younger staff on the laws