• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obtaining Permit in shortest period of time questions

Ghost271911

OK been lurking here for the better part of 2 weeks now trying to read back as far as fall of 09 posts and want to make sure I have my thought process complete.

If I am comprehending everythign I have read the "fastest" way to get my permit appears to be go to DPS and get my SATE ELIGIBILITY CERTIFICATE which includes fingerprinting and a FBI & State of CT criminal background check. I then take a copy of this paperowrk, along with the town form, the NRA ceritficate, and a copy of the BFPE notice advising about preexemption and deliver it all to the local PD.

I subsequently follow up at the 2, 4, and 6 week marks taking detailed notes of whom I spoke with what time etc...

If at the 8 week + 1 day mark I still do not have my permit I contact the PD one last time advisign them they are out of compliance with the BFPE and ask for a final status. If unable to provide I then begin the process for a formal hearing with the BFPE

I am sure this is not perfect as such I am humbly askign if you could copy my original post and correct I would be greatly appreciative.

Also if I screwed the pooch here and didnt perform some sort of required intro post please gently box my internet ears and I will amend my erront ways.

brk913

You could do it that way but it's probably a waste of time, just go to your local PD, pick up the application, take the required training class and submit proof of the class completion with your appplication, fees and fingerprints. Then start the "waiting game", some towns are quicker than others, Windsor for example will get you your permit within about 2 weeks, others can drag it out a lot longer, either way if you wait for your eligibility certificate you are waiting about an extra 8 weeks. Unfortunatly we are at the mercy of the issuing authority, after 8 weeks you can start to "push the issue" by appealing to the Board, complaining to a higher authority in the PD, calling your state Represetrative and/or Senator but most towns will still drag their feet getting it to you, I just had a student from Southington, took him almost 18 weeks. Anyway, the sooner you get your application in the sooner you will get a decision on your permit.....Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

KIX

What he said!

The eligibility certificate really does nothing for you if you plan on getting the permit. Yes, we are a may issue state, but you will still get your permit, if you have no federal barriers (felonies) on your record.

Some towns are indeed flawed in their handling of permit applications, but, we are working to change that.

Jonathan

JohnGalt

To be precise, the fastest way to get your permit from a recalcitrant town is to apply and if they do not give you a determination at 8 weeks + 1 day, file suit for a "writ of mandamus." A writ of mandamus is a court order compelling an official to perform a duty that you are legally owed. The permitting statute provides that the locally authority shall issue a determination with 8 weeks. Accordingly, you are legally owed that decision within the 8 week timeframe and it can be compeeled by a judge if not rendered. I have never seen anyone file a motion for writ of mandamus for a pistol permit since it costs some coin (I believe $300) but it would likely result either in a quick turn-around by the polcie department or an order from the judge. I would love to see this done some day but would have to find someone who wants to stand on principal and doesn't mind spending a few dollars to back up that principal.

I actually think that I wrote a whole post about this topic with statutory citations months ago. You could probably find it by searching if you wanted to learn more about mandamus.

Ghost271911

BRK and Kix thanks and appreciate your input see I am not a patient nor am I an accomodating man. My thoughts on this are simple the laws state XY&Z if I am going to have to monkey about with New Britain (I recently moved near the Ghetto unintentionally but out of necessity). Then I am going to lean on them to do what they are required to do within the time frames they are required to do it or face consequences for failure to do their job.

My father was an LEO for 25 years (retired 7 plus years now) and his statement to me was things have changed in the last 15 years and not for the better within most PD's so he advised to be polite but use any and ALL legal means to compel them to do their job.

Guntoting IIRC you are an actively practicing lawyer with a focus on 2A matters? could you PM me your business contact info, if unable or potential conflict of Interest type scenario I will reach out to Ms Rachel Baird if I reach the writ phase of the situtation.

I had my permit 12 years ago but then let it expire becuase I was in process of relocating to gun hating MA, now that I am back and in the hood my sense of needing to protect myself and my children has prompted for me to find the fastest just not necessarily the most delicate manner of getting my permit and 1911 clone.

Edward Peruta

At any time after one or more of these mandated deadlines are missed, the applicant will have standing and may file an appeal with the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

A writ of any kind in the Superior Court may not work if all administrative remedies have not been exhausted.

The standing to file an appeal has several different factors.

These are the two State Statutes that mandate the times issuing authorities must comply with regarding Permits to Carry.

Presentation of a newly minted/issued State Eligibility Certificate verifies that the applicant's fingerprints have been taken and serves as positive I.D. for application purposes.

Whenever you submit to being fingerprinted, ask for a copy of the prints for future use and reference.

These are the two stautes:

"IMMEDIATELY", "ONE WEEK" and EIGHT WEEK MANDATES

Sec. 29-28a. Application for permit. Notice of decision to applicant.
(a) Requests for temporary state permits under section 29-28 shall be submitted to the chief of police, or, where there is no chief of police, to the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, on application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Public Safety. Upon written request by any person for a temporary state permit not on a prescribed application form, or upon request by any person for such application form, the local authority shall supply such forms. When any such request is made in person at the office of the local authority, the local authority shall supply such application form immediately. When any such request is made in any other manner, the local authority shall supply such application form not later than one weekafter receiving such request. If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application. If any local authority fails to supply an application form upon the request of any person, such person may request an application form from the Commissioner of Public Safety or any barracks of the Division of State Police, and the time limits and procedures set forth in this section for handling requests for such forms shall be applicable.
(b) The local authority shall, not later than eight weeks after a sufficient application for a temporary state permit has been made, inform the applicant that such applicant's request for a temporary state permit has been approved or denied. The local authority shall forward a copy of the application indicating approval or denial of the temporary state permit to the Commissioner of Public Safety. If the local authority has denied the application for a temporary state permit, no state permit may be issued. The commissioner shall, not later than eight weeks after receiving an application indicating approval from the local authority, inform the applicant in writing that the applicant's application for a state permit has been approved or denied, or that the results of the national criminal history records check have not been received. If grounds for denial become known after a temporary state permit has been obtained, the temporary state permit shall be immediately revoked pursuant to section 29-32.

"FIVE BUSINESS DAYS", "ONE WEEK" and "EIGHT WEEKS" MANDATES

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits.
(a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant's suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

(c) The local authority may, in its discretion, issue a temporary state permit before a national criminal history records check relative to such applicant's record has been received. Upon receipt of the results of such national criminal history records check, the commissioner shall send a copy of the results of such national criminal history records check to the local authority, which shall inform the applicant and render a decision on the application within one week of the receipt of such results. If such results have not been received within eight weeks after a sufficient application for a permit has been made, the local authority shall inform the applicant of such delay, in writing. No temporary state permit shall be issued if the local authority has reason to believe the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, or that any other condition exists for which the issuance of a permit for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited under state or federal law.

(d) The commissioner may investigate any applicant for a state permit and shall investigate each applicant for renewal of a state permit to ensure that such applicant is eligible under state law for such permit or for renewal of such permit.

(e) No state permit may be issued unless either the local authority or the commissioner has received the results of the national criminal history records check.

KIX

I honestly think this is getting blown out of proportion.

1. New Britain, actually isn't that bad. I had a student get his permit within the allotted time - which did surprise me.
2. As Ed pointed out, I think you need to file your appeal before you get to that point (if not only because I think you'll get your BFPE hearing faster than you will get a court hearing).
3. You can call on the last day of the 8 weeks and ask if you have a permit, if not, call the board for your appeal paperwork (it is considered a denial at that point).

In my case, I had to go the #3 route, funny thing happened. As soon as I received my paperwork from the board (they also send a packet to the issuing authority), I got a call that my temp permit was ready.

What a coincidence!

Jonathan

brk913

I honestly think this is getting blown out of proportion.

In my case, I had to go the #3 route, funny thing happened. As soon as I received my paperwork from the board (they also send a packet to the issuing authority), I got a call that my temp permit was ready.

What a coincidence!

Jonathan

Same thing for 2 students of mine from Hamden, when they called at 8 weeks they were told that it takes longer, that the statute was "an old statute that no one follows", they filed an appeal with the Board and had their temps within 2 days after filing.

KIX

My response from Middletown was "it's a rule of thumb, not a law or anything. It takes as long as it takes"....

Ummm.... yeah, right.

At least they lit the fire under my butt to help people with permit issues.

They created the monster!

Jonathan

DDoutel

My response from Middletown was "it's a rule of thumb, not a law or anything. It takes as long as it takes"....

Ummm.... yeah, right.

At least they lit the fire under my butt to help people with permit issues.

They created the monster!

Jonathan

Funny how that works, isn't it? The more often the "powers that be" screw with people, the more monsters they make. We can but hope that they create enough "monster" citizen watchdogs that "the powers that be" come to remember their place; public servants!

KIX

You guys are both wrong.....

The laws are "vague".....

Jonathan

Ghost271911

Rich B, thanks so i am better served to go the appeal route if NB jerks my chain vs. trying the writ of memendus (sp). This is why I wanted to pose the questions I did, everyone here is such a wealth of information and for that I am greatly appreciative.

Now onto the last question how do I go about obtaining a copy of any sort of criminal history I may have?
Reason I phrase this the way I do is that I got pinched 2+ years ago in NB for FTA in New London related to driving on a suspended license stop down there the year prior. All of that started over 2 unpaid movign violations I got while I was unemployed and actually living in MA the year before that... Yes I was so broke I was livign off of ramen noodles and couldnt afford to pay CT $180 in tickets but I got it all cleared up paid everything includign some other fines to new london and spending about 3 hrs in NB PD lock up that to my knowledge is the extent of my crime spree:banghead: Yes my complete FUBAR and I fixed it but I want make sure I fill out the app accurately and with what the actual charges were.

Ghost271911

brk thank you so much but I am finding nothing in any of the New London or New Britain listings, that just cant be possible there is no way I got away with nothing more than a financial slap on the wrist (I am not that lucky).

Is there another process wher I request state wide? I know I will have to pay for I just need to be pointed to where to go?

brk913

brk thank you so much but I am finding nothing in any of the New London or New Britain listings, that just cant be possible there is no way I got away with nothing more than a financial slap on the wrist (I am not that lucky).

Is there another process wher I request state wide? I know I will have to pay for I just need to be pointed to where to go?

You can do all courts by leaving the court section blank....this will show all criminal and motor vehicle convictions up to 10 years old...this will not show MV Infractions, such as speeding tickets, maybe your FTA was dismissed after you paid the infractions...

If you want to see what the PD will see you could pay the extra $50 and run the state police check: http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/reports_and_records/dps-0846-c.pdf

Last edited:

Ghost271911

Perfect thanks again BRK

It looks like I am clear but I will still spend the 50 and COYA

I just dont want to disclose anything I dont have to (if it doesnt show up, then I will play dumb) but I want to see what they will see and just disclose accordingly.