• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc in petsmart

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Good evening everyone. I Am heading to petsmart to get some stuff for my dog to go on a road trip. Does anyone know if they allow OC in their stores? I can't find the policies anywhere. Thanks

Jayd1981

If you really want to check before each place you go, there is a friend or foe site that lists that kind of stuff. Personally, I just go about my business. If a business doesn't want me to OC in their store, they can tell me that and I will leave and spend my money else where.

On a side note, if you act like its completely normal for you to have a sidearm, most people won't even notice it. Your doing nothing illegal, there's no reason to be nervous (save that nervousness for your first OC police encounter).

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Good evening everyone. I Am heading to petsmart to get some stuff for my dog to go on a road trip. Does anyone know if they allow OC in their stores? I can't find the policies anywhere. Thanks

Welcome SigGuy! (I own a P229 and a P250)

Go about your business just like you would if it was concealed and barely anyone will even notice.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
Thanks guys. I looked through their entire corporate website and not once were weapons of any kind mentioned. So I'm going to go do it and see what happens. I'm sure I will be fine. I haven't really heard about many negative OC stories in Marysville/Arlington area.

Wolfebane

If you really want to check before each place you go, there is a friend or foe site that lists that kind of stuff. Personally, I just go about my business. If a business doesn't want me to OC in their store, they can tell me that and I will leave and spend my money else where.

On a side note, if you act like its completely normal for you to have a sidearm, most people won't even notice it. Your doing nothing illegal, there's no reason to be nervous (save that nervousness for your first OC police encounter).

My first OC encounter with police was because I called them because my neighbor refused to move his car from blocking my mailbox after repeated requests by myself, another neighbor and the mailman. Officer Ruttlidge (might not be spelling it correctly but I asked for her name when I introduced myself) was dispatched 4 minutes after the call was placed to dispatch.

We explained the situation and she talked to the neighbor who finally complied (I think what got such a fast response was mentioning that the Mailman was involved, being a federal employee and all) - even though the neighbor started blocking my other neighbor's(who was with me when the police arrived) yard gate.

I didn't feel nervous at all, probably means this doesn't count because I'm the one who called them. OC the entire time, so either she didn't notice or was completely relaxed and didn't care and never mentioned it. (no defensive stance taken and stood no more than 5 feet from me when talking.)

Though it did finally dawn on me why cops wear dark sunglasses (never put much thought into it before anyway). It's a great tactical tool to analyze a situation without the subjects knowledge of what you have looked at, though I was close enough to see through the glasses.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the topic or anything just wanted to share. Though by OC encounter you probably meant being the subject of a MWAG call.

The Big Dog

OC at PetSmart

I OC at the Renton PetSmart at least twice every three months. When I drop my daughters dog off for grooming and when I pick her up after grooming. The only comment ever made was by one of the groomers, he wanted to know what kind of gun I was packing.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
It went great. No one gave me a second glance. Even had 2 little kids come up and pet my dog. The little boy wanted a dog really bad but he is allergic to most breeds, so his parents were getting him and his sister a guinea pig. When I went to check out, the cashier asked me why I had a gun. I asked her if it scared her or made her uncomfortable. She said no she was just curious. I explained my reasons and that was good enough for her. It was the Petsmart in Marysville off of I-5 exit 202.

amzbrady

Thats the great thing about open carry, just go ahead and go into business's that you want to shop at and if they dont allow it they have people that will let you know. You could do like some in the past have done and just call every business you plan on going to, to ask permission. But you will find if that if you dont bring attention to your firearm, 90% of the people around you wont even notice it, and 8% of those who do, dont care.

Disclaimer - Percentages are based on facts pulled from statistics posted in the journals showing percentages are based on facts pulled from statistics posted in jounals.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
When I went to check out, the cashier asked me why I had a gun. I asked her if it scared her or made her uncomfortable. She said no she was just curious. I explained my reasons and that was good enough for her.
Don't ask if you are scaring someone, that almost sounds like that's what you are trying to do. Just explain that you are taking responsibility for yourself and your families safety. Remember police don't prevent crime, they respond to it.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I asked her if it scared her or made her uncomfortable.

Don't ask if you are scaring someone, that almost sounds like that's what you are trying to do.

When I read that I thought the same thing. I would not suggest asking anyone if your scaring them, one could assert that you might be violating 9.41.270 if they were able to show proof that you intended to scare them.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

My points have been covered by everyone else 'cept one.

Good on ya fer getting out there & getting comfortable, like all said just act like you belong, 90% won't notice, and 90% of the 10% who do notice won't care.

Point that hasn't been made is, even if the CEO of the company himself goes on national news & says everyone's welcome to OC CC or NoC as they see fit in his stores, if the local manager asks you to leave, even against "policy," he has the force of law behind him. He may get chewed out by regional after the fact, but you can still be trespassed if you refuse to leave, citing corporate policy.

That said, few here (recently) have ever been outright asked to leave.