• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording Law Enforcement Officials while they are on duty in Va...

Badger Johnson

Ok still come to a event and dont carry. If you carry I will be sure to be there and will take care of the rest.

We're not talking about coming to an 'event' like an OC dinner or cook-out. We're talking about doing an OC as a way of life on the street day to day.

Although I like picnics, I really don't see the point of coming to an OC event. I'm sure they're nice people and all. If anyone wants to know more about me, I'd be glad to provide a pic or two in a PM, or talk about my background in self-defense (which is extensive).

Maybe you can explain why people want to meet me in person. I'm actually a very nice person and there's no reason to wonder about me.

Thanks for the offer, though, you're too kind.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Let's see. I have significant heart disease and can suffer either an MI or Vtac/Vfib (take your pick) and die on the spot. Stress just exacerbates the risks. I have a bad back and will most likely end up in a wheelchair if thrown to the ground, and could end up there anyhow just by sneezing/coughing/twisting the wrong way. Legs? They don't work right and haven't for years. Ability to walk away quickly, let alone run away? Nonexistent. Lungs? Thanks to the heart and years of smoking they barely work right when I'm sitting down. Show me a pretty girl, let alone get me to do anything physical like walk 200 feet and I'm out of breath and need to rest. And the new one - diabetes - just makes it all the more likely that any/all of the other systems will go out of whack. Not to mention the side effects of all the different meds I take to help support Big Pharma (and supposedly keep me alive).

Pains 24/7? Which one, from which condition? I count what hurts when I get awake in the AM just to figure out if something has gone wrong - if the pain is no longer there something bad has happened.

You've got as much chance of being thrown to the ground as you do having your cane collapse under you.

But you ride a bike??:shocker::uhoh: So you are willing to take life-altering, if not death-defying, risks.

Ad hominem attacks are not permitted, so I'm not sure how to suggest that your expressed fear of being thrown to the ground and made a physical cripple is perhaps a bit more drama than a reasonable concern. But if I do figure it out, I'll do it in a respectful manner, I assure you.

The point is I don't think anybody really cares if you carry OC, CC or not at all. But for myself your expressing fear that you will get thrown to the ground and be made a cripple is getting old and tiresome. Stop using that excuse and just say "No, thank you. I do not wish to OC, but am pleased to be here and support your collective efforts to do so and to reduce the amount of inappropriate responses you individually and collectively receive from both the police and non-LEO who do not seem to understand that OCing is both legal and non-threatening.

I assure you that I will not bring up the subject again.

And I truely do thank you for supporting the efforts to make OC acceptable by everyone.

stay safe.

nuc65

Activist Member
I have two - the Olympus which allows a USB port and a small recorder MP3 player which clips on a lapel (and looks like an MP3 player).

The Olympus runs in the car whenever we're driving and the MP3 player when I'm on foot. I also run a handle-bar mounted vid cam which records all my bike rides.

It's not an easy regime to do, takes planning and battery rotation and spares, but I got into it riding my road bicycle and got some great stuff, the best being several fawns galumphing across the trail one Spring day!

I thought the "Oh Sh*t" when you fell was a tad humorous.

nuc65

Activist Member

But you ride a bike??:shocker::uhoh: So you are willing to take life-altering, if not death-defying, risks.

In his other posted bike video Badger (I assume) did fall, with a standard... ahhh sh**

The falling wasn't funny, but the explicative was...

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
In her other posted bike video Badger ....

Please remember that Badger's picture is not one of himself. He is a he, but chooses to use the picture of someone else as an avatar. I have no objection to that, as I have chosen to use a picture that is more flattering and less frightening than one of my own visage.

stay safe.

nuc65

Activist Member
Please remember that Badger's picture is not one of himself. He is a he, but chooses to use the picture of someone else as an avatar. I have no objection to that, as I have chosen to use a picture that is more flattering and less frightening than one of my own visage.

stay safe.

Thanks I fixed my post, I actually had thought I had left it gender neutral, but alas my fingers slipped...

Sesrun

Just picked up a VN-8100pc from Amazon.

$39.99 + Free Shipping
Offer continues through Sunday (9/11/11)

If you don't have a recorder pick one up (only 13 left), it's a lot cheaper than $60 at OfficeMax or Walmart.

Last edited:

Sesrun

of COURSE someone was able to find the one I bought, except cheaper... haha. such is life I guess...

I have been looking at that model for a while due to others on this board. I have refrained from spending the $60 at OfficeMax for about a week now and just happened to check amazon again today and was lucky to find the $20 price drop. I figured I would share it so others may save some money as well.

Last edited:

Sesrun

Any idea what kind of battery life to expect on that one?

Thx

Olympus's website states 51hrs with alkaline batteries on LP quality setting.

Skidmark has also said previously in this thread that he gets at least 16.5hrs out of NiMH rechargables in his (i believe he carries the Olympus 6200 though which is an older discontinued model).

TFred

Just picked up a VN-8100pc from Amazon.

$39.99 + Free Shipping
Offer continues through Sunday (9/11/11)

If you don't have a recorder pick one up (only 13 left), it's a lot cheaper than $60 at OfficeMax or Walmart.
Just over 2 hours after this post, the website now says:

"Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available."

Looks like a lot of people read these threads!

TFred

scouser

One thing to be aware of with the VN 7000 is that there is no usb output on it to connect to a computer. It's not impossible to transfer your recordings you'd just need to utilize the line input on your computer's soundcard and some analog audio recording software, and it would take the same length of time to transfer as the length of the recording itself.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
51I8Mg%2BWLqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Package-...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1315677946&sr=1-1

Blk97F150

One thing to be aware of with the VN 7000 is that there is no usb output on it to connect to a computer. It's not impossible to transfer your recordings you'd just need to utilize the line input on your computer's soundcard and some analog audio recording software, and it would take the same length of time to transfer as the length of the recording itself.

Good catch! Thanks!

Badger Johnson

stay safe.

Dayum, and I thought Peter Nap was an intelligent coyote posting here like a human. Will wonders never cease.

(for those of you who are too young or have lived in a cave, the avatar is Mrs Peel from the Avengers. I picked it because of the way she used a pistol to 'comb her hair'.)

As far as 'reasons' to not OC, it really doesn't matter, and I do support OC-ing. But since you don't like the 'too delicate to be proned out', I'll just say I'm too pretty to be thrown to the ground and hope that is a more acceptable reason, m'kay?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

As far as 'reasons' to not OC, it really doesn't matter, and I do support OC-ing. But since you don't like the 'too delicate to be proned out', I'll just say I'm too pretty to be thrown to the ground and hope that is a more acceptable reason, m'kay?

Maybe I should have added that
I assure you that I will not bring up the subject again.

And I truely do thank you for supporting the efforts to make OC acceptable by everyone.

also included not wanting you to bring it up again, either.

stay safe.

Felix

Let's see. I have significant heart disease and can suffer either an MI or Vtac/Vfib (take your pick) and die on the spot. Stress just exacerbates the risks. I have a bad back and will most likely end up in a wheelchair if thrown to the ground, and could end up there anyhow just by sneezing/coughing/twisting the wrong way. Legs? They don't work right and haven't for years. Ability to walk away quickly, let alone run away? Nonexistent. Lungs? Thanks to the heart and years of smoking they barely work right when I'm sitting down. Show me a pretty girl, let alone get me to do anything physical like walk 200 feet and I'm out of breath and need to rest. And the new one - diabetes - just makes it all the more likely that any/all of the other systems will go out of whack. Not to mention the side effects of all the different meds I take to help support Big Pharma (and supposedly keep me alive).

Pains 24/7? Which one, from which condition? I count what hurts when I get awake in the AM just to figure out if something has gone wrong - if the pain is no longer there something bad has happened. <snip>

Good grief, Skid, medics better be standing by when Judge Zepkin tosses out your charges on Tuesday! :eek:

Surely your lawyer can figure out a way to weave your frangible medical condition into his arguments for dismissal. Then again, discussing that might open up a way for the PA to enter arguments that you shouldn't be carrying to start with. I'm no lawyer though so I don't know what's possible.

Either way, good luck. I can't be there but I'll be monitoring the thread throughout the day for updates from those with smartphones.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Felix -

I guess you see why I carry a handgun.

But the point is really that one either carries on or one crawls into a grave early. You can see which door I picked.

Thanks for the thoughts.

stay safe.