• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from WA to AK. Driving through Canada. The laws?

Ruby

At the end of the list of states here on the forum is a section titled international gun rights, listing Great Britian and Canada. Have you checked there yet? Perhaps someone on that forum can answer your questions.

Aknazer

Last thing I heard is that you're basically screwed if you want to try and take them through Canada. You would probably have better luck having an FFL in WA ship them to an FFL in AK than trying to take them through Canada.

altajava

An option I found researching the same problem is the car ferry that that runs from Seattle to several stops in Alaska. The ferry does not stop in Canada so you leave your firearms in your vehicle while taking the inner passage cruise.

Aaron1124

Sounds like only handguns in particular caliber (.25 and .32) are prohibited, along with handguns with a barrell length under 4.14". It appears I will just need the proper documents and paperwork for the firearms. I will have to contact someone about this to get the ball rolling.

hermannr

It can be done, yes, in a case, locked and sealed at the border...HOWEVER!!!! It will take at least 6 months to get the paperwork to get it done for a pistol. Long guns go quicker, but still need paperwork, pistols take at least 6 months.

If Harper changes the law as he has promised, it may become easier, but don't hold your breath.

DO NOT!!!!!under any instances try to get them through the border without the paperwork...it is up to 5 years in prison and $50,000 if you are caught.

If you arrive at the border with any "weapons" and declare them without paperwork, you WILL be turned arround and sent back to an FFL that can hold/ship them for you. (they will even tell you who/where the local FFL's are, but you will be turned back)

Anyway, if you have the time, you can go to the panda site (someone else already listed the link) and work your way through the process, then you can take them with you.

The Alaska State Ferry out of Bellingham, WA is another way. Nice cruise, nice ferry, but not cheap, and you will miss the drive up the AlCan hwy.

OldCurlyWolf

What are the laws on driving through Canada? Will I not be allowed to have my pistol with me -- even if it's locked up in a case?

Most likely the answer is NO!!!!

Your best bet would be to either take the ferry or have them shipped to you by FedEX or some other carrier that does not drive through Canada.

Check with an Alaska FFL for the best way.

jbone

At the last stop in the USA, box them up, and ship them via UPS to Yourself, at your first stop in Alaska!
No FFL is needed to do this, you are Not transferring the guns!

I thought that was only for long guns?

deen_ad

An option I found researching the same problem is the car ferry that that runs from Seattle to several stops in Alaska. The ferry does not stop in Canada so you leave your firearms in your vehicle while taking the inner passage cruise.

Absolutely true, I emailed the ship company and that's what they sent back. You can also turn them over to the ships designated receiver and they will hold them. But no CC or OC onboard.

Aaron1124

I've spoken with the Canadian authorities, and they were very helpful. They showed me where I can obtain the proper forms and paperwork in order to transport my pistols. Sounds like it can happen

OldCurlyWolf

I've spoken with the Canadian authorities, and they were very helpful. They showed me where I can obtain the proper forms and paperwork in order to transport my pistols. Sounds like it can happen

Yes it can, in 6 months to a year. They will Record all serial numbers of all firearms and will make them available to any US LEA upon request without any legal requirements of any kind.

My advice is to NOT deal with the Canadians on anything to do with firearms. Either take the ferry, I know it is expensive, or ship them to yourself in Alaska. I would not transit Canada with a single .22 long rifle shell, much less a firearm.

:banghead:

John Canuck

I gotta agree with the OldCurlyWolf on this. As a former subject of the crown, I wouldn't consider agents of the government as your friends, however, YMMV. Good luck on your trip.

hermannr

Remember, you make you choices and pay you prices...every man has his own prioritys. If you want to transport your weapons with you, you have to give the Canadian Government the information...if you want to keep that information private, you need to use a different option...

Remember, the question was: Can it be done, and if so how. Yes it can be done, but it will take effort and time, and giving uo some possibly private information...Now, if Aaron wants to use the information and run with it...that is his decision to make.

Aaron1124

Update: We're now taking a ferry. Not necessarily due to the gun issues, but because our destination has changed. We're now going to Ketchikan. From what I've seen, locking them up in my vehicle, and having my vehicle on the ferry seems to be the easiest option.