• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alaska require a permit/license to CC?

Aaron1124

So according to the site map, Alaska is a gold star state for any type of carry, but, according to several AK police department websites, a permit/license is required to CC now? Is this correct? I am having a hard time finding the statute on it. Any help?! Thanks!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Could you please give an example of these police web sites you're referencing?

Butch00

Anchorage PD is a bunch of d**ks.
Just go by the STATE LAW as to where you can't carry and you should be ok.
I hardly ever go to anchorage its a cesspool.
If I have a contact with law enforcement I do not let them touch my handgun,
I tell them they can secure mine when I can secure theirs. They still need consent,
I refuse to consent.

armaborealis

Alaska has "constitutional carry" with optional permits (for Federal GFSZA and reciprocity purposes) if you want them. There is also preemption which is reasonably strong.

The advice on muni website about signage is decent advice but not legally binding. "No guns" signs in Alaska don't have the force of law. You do need to leave if asked to leave by a responsible adult, or it is criminal trespass. You also need to get permission before entering a person's residence.

The only thing the muni can do is ban carry in buildings which are posted AND have a security checkpoint at each entrance open to the public, and regulate the discharge of firearms. They dragged their feet on "unposting" some places (like the library) but those signs are down now too. About the only ambiguous place in Anchorage is the campus of UAA, and I believe a lawsuit is still pending there.

I know Anchorage Muni is one of the less gun-friendly jurisdictions, but I haven't heard of them harassing people over entering gun-free bubbles. For example, you don't read about OC'ers getting harassed over the federal GFSZA, getting within a parking lot of a strip mall that happens to have a day care, etc. They could, though, so perhaps a reason to either do your homework to 100% ensure you're legal and/or to be discreet.

I think Sitka still has an ordnance on the books that restricts carry in the downtown areas. That is also toothless due to preemption and I doubt it would stand up to the state preemption law.

Pointing out the verbage/signage/policies which are no longer legit to local authorities may be succesful (seemed to work at Loussac). Lawsuits (or threat thereof) may also work. Finally, I wouldn't be upset at a tougher Florida-style preemption law that holds local officials personally liable for ignoring the preemption statute, but we don't have that today.

FarNorth

As a current cesspool dweller and daily open carrier I can say that I've never had any problems during encounters with APD. Each time they've been polite and professional. Maybe I've been lucky.

xj_907

i live in anchorage as well

i have never ever had a bad exp with ast's or apd when c.c or o.c tho i found something very intresting that i would like someone else to looking into,i found that you can o.c at the the age of 14?? is that true? and iam also looking for a range buddy as well fyi new to site thanks and hope everyone is enjoying this dam snow lol:banana:

xj_907

there is a state law in alaska...er well i should say i heard about a state law that says otherwise? idk just asking cuase ive never heard of it before

apjonas

You Must Be Correct

Although an FAQ is not the strongest support for statutory interpretation. I have always read USC as using "or" unless there is an explicit "and" but in this case logic must prevail.

The ATF disagrees with you:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#underage-employees

Notice how the ATF is interpreting the exceptions in 18 USC 922(x):

The <18 years of age employee may possess the firearm:

In the course of employment (working for the FFL which satisfies paragraph (i)) AND
Prior written consent of the parent or guardian (paragraph (ii)) AND
Who is not a prohibited person (another paragraph (ii) requirement) AND
The written consent is in the employees possession at all times (paragraph (iii)) AND
State law must not prohibit the juvenile from possessing the handgun or ammunition (paragraph iv).

If all 4 conditions did not have to be met, only "in the course of employment" AND "state law allows it" would be necessary.

Besides, if only (ii) or (iii) were required, than what would be the point of having paragraph (iii) at all?